1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eye on the D-League [2010-2011 Edition]

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Hayesfan, Nov 14, 2010.

1. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

nobody has mentioned jerrel mcneal. im pretty sure he's their leading scorer. I wouldnt mind taking a look at him and sending ish down. Just to see how mcneal plays.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We need to pick off Sean Williams down there.

3. Roxs-Redemption

Is anyone going to start a D-League allstar thread?!?! ;)

4. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I just saw this on twitter. McNeal to play in the All-Star game on Saturday.

KRGVSports
    #NBADL news: @rgvvipers guard Jerel McNeal replaces former Viper Mustafa Shakur in league All-Star game this Saturday.
    10 minutes ago via web

5. Roxs-Redemption

That sucks...I was hopping Mustafa Shakur will play :( but its a guard from RGV ;)

Than ks for the heads up, RG :p

6. Roxs-Redemption

NCAA Champ Joins Defending NBA Development League Champs
    Vipers sign Jon Scheyer..

Full story:
    The defending NBA Development League champion Rio Grande Valley Vipers announced Thursday that they have acquired guard Jon Scheyer (6-5, 190, Duke), who was a part of Duke University’s 2010 NCAA Championship team.

During a four-year collegiate career, Scheyer averaged 14.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.4 steals in 144 games. He had his best season as a senior during the championship run, averaging 18.2 points, 3.6 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 1.6 steals in 40 games.

The Northbrook, Illinois-native scored 15 points with six rebounds, five assists, one steal and two blocks in the 61-59 championship game win over Butler University on April 5 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.

“We look forward to Jon’s arrival in the Rio Grande Valley. He is an accomplished young player and a good fit for our system. In addition, it will be rewarding to evaluate him up close in our environment,” said Vipers General Manager Gersson Rosas, who is also the Vice President of Player Personnel for the Houston Rockets.

Scheyer took part in the 2010 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas with the Miami Heat, scoring 11 points with five rebounds, three assists and two steals in his debut against the New Orleans Hornets on July 11. Two days later, though, in a game against the Golden State Warriors, Scheyer was poked in the right eye, suffering optic nerve damage as well as a tear in the retina.

The 23-year old went to NBA Training Camp with the Los Angeles Clippers, recording one assist while missing all four of his shot attempts in 19 minutes over the course of two games.

IMO, Vipers try to defend their title this year...Let's go Vipers, Let's go :p

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Anyone follwoing Stanley Robinson since he came back from staff infection? He is putting up some mighty average numbers.

Whats the deal with Sean Williams? He has some impressive numbers but a lot of turnovers and foul problems. Is it from bad decision making and lack of fundementals? Has anyone been watching him play?

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://twitter.com/ScottSchroeder/statuses/40173719863312384

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/krOiC9kq2C4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

@gwashburn14 [rQUOTEr]Former UConn forward Jeff Adrien has agreed to a contract to return to the Golden State Warriors, according to a source #warriors #GSW [/rQUOTEr]

Adrien: [rquoter]So.. Some already know but yes I'm heading back to the bay to join the team that first believed in me @warriors. God is Good!!! Thanks @nbadleague and RGV Vipers for giving me the chance to do what I do. I will miss my coaching staff dearly. To my RGV teammates thanks I'll miss y'all. Stay patient, focus and strong. Everyone time will come. Crazy 8 4Life!! Thanks for the love yall. Means alot.[/rquoter]

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]Scott Schroeder reports Jerel McNeal of the Rio Grande Valley Vipers will sign a 10-day contract with the Hornets.

McNeal is averaging 19.5 points, 4.5 assists and 4.2 rebounds for the D-League team.[/rquoter]

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Five questions with Pennsylvania native Chris Finch, who coaches the Luol Deng-led Great Britain national team and the D-League's reigning champion, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers:

Q: On Sunday, you guys find out if FIBA is allowing Great Britain to fill one of the 12 automatic spots in the Olympic basketball tournament in 2012. How nervous are you?

A: I'm pretty optimistic. From a basketball performance point of view, we've met a lot of the objectives that they laid out. Their biggest concern has always been the basketball administration side.

And like most political change or bureaucratic change, that takes a little bit more time to get everything organized [moving from separate basketball federations in England, Scotland and Wales to one governing body that oversees basketball throughout Great Britain].

But overall, I feel pretty hopeful.

Q: The host nation hasn't been excluded from the basketball tournament since the sport was introduced at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin. Don't they ultimately have to let Great Britain in if the 2012 Games are in London?

A: I never took that for granted. FIBA has been very clear that it's their tournament and they will make the decision as they see fit.

I think, in the Olympic spirit, to exclude the host would be sad, but I really think they're going to put us in because of what we've been able to do [qualifying twice under Finch for the Eurobasket competition] since we kind of started this process in 2006.

Q: I know you played and coached club ball in England, but how have you been received as an American coaching the national team?

A: I'd have to say quite favorably. I've spent more than 10 years of my life there. I love the country. I have a strong affinity for the place. I've been through all the peaks and valleys, from where the professional league was in a better place than the national team to where we are now with the national team being a bit more successful. But I think we've always maintained that for the sport to really grow [Great Britain's] national team has to really lead the way.

Q: What's a realistic ceiling for your team if you can ever get Deng and Ben Gordon reunited as teammates with Team GB?

A: I've always said that if we have all of our best players it's not outside the realm of possibility to win a medal. What's hurt us [in recent years], be it injuries or contract situations or whatever, it's been difficult to get all of our best players together.

But I just saw Ben [on Wednesday] night in San Antonio and I think we have a really good chance to have Ben this summer. Kelenna Azubuike still doesn't have a [UK] passport but is inching closer to it. He was born in London, and we believe he's entitled to a passport and will eventually get the passport.

This might be our chance this summer [at Eurobasket 2011 in Lithuania] to put our best team on the floor.

Q: Your day job is coaching in the D-League. Defending champs and working as an extension of the Rockets' organization ... sounds like a pretty good gig.

A: It really is. I think it's a great model. There's a lot of cohesion with the Rockets on what we're doing and why. We talk with them every day. We're much more a division of their personnel department than their coaching staff.

They got into the D-League business [directly aligning with Rio Grande as a "hybrid" affiliate] for developing and evaluating personnel.

We've got three guys on NBA call-ups right now [New Orleans' Jerel McNeal, Golden State's Jeff Adrien and Washington's Mustafa Shakur] and we've had about eight different guys called up the last two years. So that makes you feel good.