1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eye on the D-League [2010-2011 Edition]

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Hayesfan, Nov 14, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Asset management, my friends. Asset management.

The team already had Mustafa Shakur and Antonio Anderson. So, using their leverage of having exclusive rights to Temple when he got waived by his NBA club, they brought him in and then converted him into a more useful asset.

Jeff Adrien is pretty damn short for a big man, but he's a BEAST. Sort of reminds me of a more defensive-oriented Craig Smith.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't know much about Jeff Adrien, but I've always really liked Garrett Temple's game. I'm surprised he hasn't found a bench role in the league yet.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vipers trade Antonio Anderson to Maine for Matt Janning.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing that! I was wondering what they were going to do with him after he didn't play much in the game at the showcase.

Hopefully he can get some more exposure playing in the east

5. Roxs-Redemption

Have anyone voted for the D-League All-Stars?
    - My prediction of who's going in -
    • Jeff Adrien = STAT like
    • Mustafa Shakur = the stinger
    • Richard Roby = this guy can ball

When Vipers are hot; Vipers get the right plays and trade some plapyers ;)

6. Roxs-Redemption

Just saw this:

Ishmael Smith, Houston (Rio Grande Valley) - Aaron Brooks; return from injury made limited Smith's role in Houston, so the Rockets opted to assign him to get some playing time in Rio Grande Valley. The rookie from Wake Forest made his debut on Tuesday, scoring six points with six assists in a win over Maine. Smith will primarily come off the bench behind Mustafa Shakur in the NBA D-League, and will look to bounce back on Wednesday after shooting 2-9 in his debut.

(latest)Assignment Report

And RGV Vipers are coming 5th in the power rankings

7. Roxs-Redemption

Is the Vipers Scoreboard fully fixed? I saw the highlights and a mini glitch happened :eek:

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This Jeff Adrien guy looks interesting. He's a 6'6" power forward, but he has freakishly long arms. He has a standing reach of 8'11.5", which 1/2 inch more than Patrick Patterson. This guy has been putting up some BIG numbers in the D-league for the Vipers.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mustafa Shakur called up by the Wizards.

@rgvvipers

10. Roxs-Redemption

Dang. I hope Ish the Dish starting dishing... :p

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

#Vipers waive Mickell Gladness, reacquire Stanley Robinson and trade Robinson to Iowa #Energy for Texas-alum Connor Atchley.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Too bad. I really liked Robinson as a prospect.

13. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I don't understand that move.

Terrible trade, IMO. Atchley had a strong junior season at Texas playing along side DJ Augustin, but he was absolutely terrible the following year. He's 6'10'', but is too soft to bang in the paint, so he typically spots up free-throw line extended. Limited athletically, and became very timid offensively in his last season with the Horns.

He had some issues between the ears/lack of self confidence, and he'll never play in the NBA, IMHO. Robinson, on the other hand, had all-world athleticism and a solid frame for a SF prospect, but only lacked offensive polish, something he could have worked on for 1-2 years with the Vipers. Plus, he was a teammate of Adrien at UConn, and the two could have worked together in RGV.

I'm baffled by this move...

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Guys, calm down about this! It's the freaking D-League!

Obviously, the Rockets have little/no interest in Robinson as an NBA prospect. They already have Terrence Williams and Chase Budinger as athletic SF prospects for their NBA club.

This trade was obviously about "system fit". Atchley must fit the Rockets'/Vipers' system better and would help players like Patrick Patterson and Ish Smith play their intended roles more effectively when they're playing with the Vipers.

THIS is how good basketball organizations do things with their D-League affiliates. It's not about grabbing the most athletic group of players, most of whom will never sniff any hint of NBA success. It's about running a system--and inserting players who can run that system effectively--so as to best assist the "major league" ballclub.

15. HMMMHMM

I agree that on paper it looks like a pretty bad move, but I'm sure Gerson Rosas/Morey/the Vipers had their reason to do this trade.
    Wheter it's a favor for an agent or whatever, I'm sure this trade had very little to do with Connor Atchley.
    Maybe we'll get some details on why deal was made later on, we'll see.

16. HMMMHMM

17. Roxs-Redemption

Vipers Waive Stanley Asumnu
    Link

RGV just lost to AUS by 6 points snapping 4 game winning streak
    Next two games: vs. Austin(Wednesday, 02/16) and @Texas(Tuesday, 02/22)

18. Roxs-Redemption

Forward Thinking with 2011 NBA D-League All-Stars
    Just a heads up from the D-League

Jeff Adrien, Center - Rio Grande Valley Vipers Credentials: 17.8 ppg, 11.1 rpg, 1.7 bpg
    Player’s Take: “That would be fun. Anytime you make an All-Star team that’s fun. All-Star speaks for itself, the word. It would mean a lot.”

19. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/way-47185-hidalgo-lose.html

The Vipers had 8 technicals called in the last 1:09 of the 4th quarter against the Austin Toros at home in the valley on Wednesday Feb 16! Yikes! Interesting read. I was at the last 2 Vipers games in Austin on Thursday and Saturday. All of the Vipers coaches came over and shook our hands on the Thursday game, and they even got us tickets for the Saturday game. Also looks like Jon Scheyer will be joining the Vipers.

20. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Nice find. WE get Jon Scheyer. Woot woot.