1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Excel 2007] Chart Help!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VesceySux, Jul 19, 2007.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Okay, someone tell me if this is possible to do in Office 2007. I believe 2003 let me do it...

I want to combine a bar chart and a line chart together into ONE chart. How the hell can I do this? (Can I overlay other type of charts?) There's no "Add data" function that I can see.

Help, please!

2. Curly

Curly Member

It's in there, but wordy to describe. I'll do my best.

Create the "bar" graph with the data that you want to use.
    When the bar graph is displayed hover over "non data" area and right click (maybe twice) and you should see an option for "Select Data" and click it.
    A popup should popup with the option for you to "Add" and it will ask you for Series name and a Series Value.
    Once you have provided that, click ok, and that data will now become a second set of bars.
    Move your cursor over one of those second set of bars and right click. You should have the option to "Change the Chart Type".

Probably a better way to do it...but this is the only way I've been able to do it. If someone has an easier way to do it, I would love to hear it.

3. VesceySux

Took a minute, but it worked. Thanks!

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Easier way.

when you have ytour to columns or rows of data that you're using for the bar and line chart, choose custom types from the chart wizard icon instead of standard types (its the second tab), make sure that you select from built-in. The type of chart you want is line-column. It will be formatted for you and eveyrthing.

5. VesceySux

hotballa, I could be wrong, but I think you're talking about Excel 2003. AFAIK, 2007 doesn't have a Chart Wizard, and "Line-Column" isn't a stock chart option. (Otherwise, I probably would have discovered it already.)