1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex Lt. Gov of Texas Tells How He Got Bush into TX Guard.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Post of the month.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No disagreement from me, HayesStreet. Good post.
    At this point, what does Kerry have to lose? Bush is getting away with murder.

3. Chump

Chump Member

interesting...who should we believe here? the facts or Bush ? as usual, the facts go against the Prez

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well just the sake of argument, there are some inconsistancies in Barnes' story. The following is a quote from an ABC news story.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20040828_194.html

"I got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard when I was lieutenant governor of Texas, and I'm not necessarily proud of that, but I did it," Barnes said in the 45-second video, which was recorded May 27 before a group of John Kerry supporters in Austin. Barnes, who was House speaker when Bush entered the Guard, later became lieutenant governor.

He said he became ashamed after walking through the Vietnam Memorial and looking at the names of people who died.
    When he was Lieutenant Governor of Texas?

According to the About Texas - Texas State Library and Archives Commission, Ben Barnes was Lt. Governor from 1969-1973. In the same quote, Barnes says that he "got a young man named George W. Bush into the National Guard when (he) was lieutenant governor of Texas," and AP immediately contradicts him, saying "Barnes, who was House speaker when Bush entered the Guard, later became lieutenant governor." This is confusing, but Barnes own words are clearly are incorrect, while AP (astonishingly) is correct.

I wonder how Barnes(when he was Lt Governor) helped GW when GW was already in the guard before Barnes became Lt Governor?

Look at the timeline of President Bush's National Guard record:

http://www.newsday.com/news/politic...,6302344.story?coll=sns-ap-politics-headlines

Major events in President Bush's service in the Texas National Guard, according to National Guard Bureau records, as compiled by The Associated Press:
    • Jan. 19, 1968: Bush completes Air Force officer qualifications test in New Haven, Conn., while attending Yale University

• May 27, 1968: Walter B. Staudt, commander of the Texas National Guard, interviews Bush and recommends he be accepted for pilot training. Bush's application for enlistment in the Guard is approved.
    • June 1968: Bush receives bachelor of arts degree from Yale.
    • July 12, 1968: A three-member Federal Recognition Examining Board reports Bush is qualified for promotion to 2nd Lieutenant in the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron.
    • July 14, 1968: Bush attends basic military training in San Antonio.
    • Aug. 25, 1968: Completes basic military training.
    • Nov. 26, 1968 - Dec. 2, 1969: Attends undergraduate pilot training with the 3559th Student Squadron, Moody Air Force Base, Ga. He is trained to fly standard Air Force aircraft, including the T-31, T-37, and T-39.
    • Dec. 29, 1969 - Jan. 20, 1970: Trainee, 111th Squadron, Ellington Air Force Base, near Houston.
    • Jan. 11, 1970: Assigned flying duty as a pilot of F-102 fighter interceptors, 111th Squadron at Ellington.
    • Aug. 24, 1970: Three-member board recommends 2nd Lt. Bush for promotion to first lieutenant. Bush later receives the promotion.
    • 1971: Participates in drills and alerts at Ellington. Begins work for Houston-based agricultural company.
    • May 1972: Bush asks for and receives permission to continue his duties in Alabama while he works as political director on the Senate campaign of Winton M. Blount, a friend of his father. Loses flight credentials after missing physical exam.
    • Sept. 6, 1972: Bush's request for a three-month transfer to 187th TAC Recon Group, Montgomery, Ala. is approved so he can work as political director for a Senate campaign.
    • November 1972: Bush returns to his unit at Ellington in Texas.
    • May-July 1973: Participates in non-flying drills at Ellington. Works at inner-city poverty program earlier in the year.
    • Sept. 18, 1973: Bush receives permission to transfer to reserve status and is placed on inactive guard duty about six months before six-year commitment ends. Attends Harvard Business School in the fall.
    • Oct. 1, 1973: Receives honorable discharge.
    Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Patience, grasshopper.

I suspect that the gloves come off after the Republican convention. Last I heard, Bush has raised $237 million and Kerry $210 million. Both sides have a substantial amount of $$$ left to make the next two months hell on earth. Expect the worst and don't be surprised if you noticably miss the mark.