1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Every Eclipse Makes Me Think Of Mel Gibson Directing Apocalypto.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Apr 8, 2024.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Oh, man, thanks for that! I haven’t heard of that!

Yeah, the Aztecs didn’t seem to care much about precision of days. They’d record events that happened in a year in order…but without any real clear distinction between this day or that day…or even how many days between the events they recorded. That just wasn’t important to them the way it was to a lot of other Mesoamerican groups it seems.

My younger son and I (he’s a history major) were literally talking last night about moments we wish we had a flux capacitor for…where you could be just a witness but not a participant….and seeing Tenochtitlan would absolutely be one for me. Not necessarily to be there for those events, but just to be there on a random day and see how it all worked. Amazing place. So sad there aren’t even any ruins to imagine from really.

I also have this fantasy of somehow bringing Ben Franklin to current America and showing him around…he was such a visionary and I think he’d be the one of that group that would love it the most to see where it all went. I’m a massive history dork lol

Buck Turgidson and jo mama like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Somehow I don't think that would be the case. Look at how our MAGA friends are struggling with societal changes over the last 60 years, now imagine the slave owning founders observing almost 250 years worth of changes.

MadMax likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Franklin was pretty adamant about the abolition of slavery. Having said that, I totally get what you mean.

In "Interview With the Vampire" one of the reasons Lestat "creates" Louis is because he needs someone to help him understand the era he's living in...because it's radically different that what he was used to, and he hates it for that.

Just an hour of showing Franklin around in a helicopter though lol :)

BamBam and clos4life like this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's a great example actually, didn't even think of that.

MadMax likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Watching it again now...yay Tubi

clos4life likes this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I rewatch almost all my movies via internet reaction videos. Get satisfaction of rewatching the great moments without investing the same amount of time, with the added benefit of seeing people I don't personally know enjoy it too (or not).

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I forgot how brutal this movie is.

clos4life likes this.