1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ever vouch for someone only to have them let you down?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Feb 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I vouched for friend at work to get him hired. he was fired in the middle of December last year. Only lasted 6 months. :( Apparently, some co-workers complained about his work ethic and he had been written up for other violations. We didn't work in the same department so i don't really know the details. i didn't care much for his explanation either because i was so damn disappointed.

2. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Been there man, it's really disappointing especially if it's a close friend. Really keeps you from wanting to stick your neck out for anyone.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

This has happened to me every single time I vouched for someone at work. 3 former colleagues and one recruiter friend. Every single one of them reflected badly on me for one reason or another, to the point that I've decided never to vouch for someone professionally again.

It's unfortunate, but I guess I had to learn the hard way.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I put personal feelings out of it. I have 1 friend I would vouch for because I know he's relentlessly driven toward his goals. Anyone else, I wouldn't stake my professional reputation on.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I had a similar experience with a close friend of mine. He owns a company that does IT consulting and website design for small businesses. His typical jobs range from $500-$2500. The first time, I had a good friend at work who was starting his own online business and needed someone to do his website for him. I vouched for my IT friend who then promptly never followed up with the guy after having a couple conversations with him. When I asked him why, he simply stated that he was too busy to take on another project. Problem was, he never bothered to tell my friend from work until the guy called him up and asked him why he wasn't starting the project yet. :(

totally pissed me off because it was just irresponsible. I didn't even know what to say to him nor to the work friend who was left out in the cold.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nope. No one has let me down. I'm a good judge of character and will either find a way to tell that one friend "dude, first work on [such such thing that keeps me from recommending him or her], then I can recommend you"... because I'm honest like that, or I don't do it at all.
    Dude. ^ You don't have to tell everyone about our personal life OUTSIDE Clutchfans. :eek: Please delete your post, man. I'd like to keep my personal life out of this.

:grin: Oh, come on...! That was a good one! That joke rocks at the mental institution. :(

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm still good friends with him because i know he has my back (yes, i realize that sounds contradictory since he technically didn't have my back by getting fired). this just made me realize that just because you're great friends it doesn't always translate to being a great worker.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Royce white

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

This sucks more if that person is related to you and people are expecting you to vouch for them purely on the basis of blood relations.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

I wouldn't let anyone down if someone helped me get hired. I'm a hard worker.

Just e-mail me guys.

Seriously. :)

(Yup, still on that job search)

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This is true, different enviroments.