1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

European Parliament Set To End EU-Wide Daylight Saving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Mar 7, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

CST = UTC -6
    CDT = UTC -5 (Central Daylight Time due to moving an hour forward for DST)

Changing your clock = UTC (x) changes to UTC (x+1).

So, if Texas were to implement DST year round, but New York didn't, then Houston would be UTC -5 year round...which currently equals EST...so, Houston would match NYC time from Nov to March.

So, if ALL states were to change to DST year round (or all countries), then every timezone moves up,

2. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

It’s supposed to be bright in the morning and dark at night. F daylight savings time.

3. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

#flatearth

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Two times a year we have to make sure our applications don't break over night and then there is special handling logic for Arizona since they don't observe. **** DST.

What would be even worse is if its not US wide whenever we get rid of DST.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I thought the big push was to standardize TO Daylight Savings time. Daylight savings time is when you get extra sunlight in the evenings...its better for almost everybody. Allegedly its healthier, better for cutting energy consumption, reduces road accidents and we already have it 8 months a year.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah I'm against it. This may fit the Germans but I live in literally the most southern part of Europe and now we will have light at 4 am?
    It also has to do with culture. Germans and other nothern europeans have dinner at 5-6 pm but here with so much heat we dine at 10. Now sunset in August will come at 7pm?!!! I cant imagine having dinner at 8. bleh

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's so cloudy in Germany for 3/4ths the year that I would've thought they wanted more sun.

I'd rather have less crappy sleep...

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

It was the fuel shortages of the 1970s that did it. And I think the US also did it during WWI, for the same reason.

Yes, it's time for this annoyance to go away.

9. droxford

droxford Member

This deserves its own thread!

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just today, Oregon introduced bills in their House and Senate to review getting rid of this crap. If it passes, a measure will go to the voters for approval. Earliest this would go active is 2021.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Their bills move to full time Daylight Savings time, not getting rid of it.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Their bill still has to be approved by Congress. A state can opt out of DST. They can not change standard time w/out congressional approval.

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I don’t give a **** what time it gets dark, just pick one and stick to it. I just hate the freaking change.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This is being debated here in Minnesota as well. The issue is that northern states generally prefer permanent DST rather than permanent standard time. Since there is so little daylight in the winter, most people generally prefer adding more daylight to the evening.

The problem with the federal rules is that it currently allows states to opt out of DST (like Arizona and Hawaii) so a state can switch to permanent standard time. But northern states prefer implementing permanent DST which would require Congress to create a new exemption.

We should also point out that the US has tried this. In the 70s, the US implemented year around DST but parents got really mad that children were waiting for school buses in the dark so a year later it was repealed. Now states in the Northern US are used to kids waiting in the dark but I can see states in the South getting upset.

But I do think we should implement a nationwide solution instead of letting states implement different options. Border communities get screwed up by this stuff. If one state opts for say permanent DST but the other sticks with the current system, then border communities end up an hour apart for half the year. Imagine waking up at 7am but your office is across the border in another state and its 8am there. You can see how messy that can be. In fact, North Dakota had this problem for a long time. Bismarck, North Dakota has the Missouri River run through the middle of it and that river historically was the dividing line between central and mountain time. So if you had to cross the river at any point, you switched time zones.

15. BleedsRocketRed

LOL a lot of people don't even know what they are asking for.

If you want more sunlight into the early evening hours YOU WANT DST not get rid of it.

Get woke people. Damn.

malakas likes this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

17. Buck Turgidson

I don't want more sun in the evening in the summer, get dark and cool off please. I'm plenty woke and working early in the morning when it's nice and un-hot is where it's at.

I am a Donut likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

why can't the world just have one timezone?

heypartner likes this.
  19. hooroo

hooroo Member