1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's - The best and worst put up or shut up moments in sports

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Sep 17, 2009.

1. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Featuring our very own Tracy McGrady!!!!!
    link to story

TRACY MCGRADY

[+] EnlargeMelissa Majchrzak/NBAE/Getty Images
    Hopefully T-Mac is done with his playoff prognostications.Put up: How many times can a man set himself up for failure with a false fearlessness?

For McGrady, who hasn't advanced past the first round of the NBA playoffs in eight tries, the answer is infinity.

• 2002: With Orlando trailing the Charlotte Hornets 3-1 in their opening-round playoff series, T-Mac did the honorable thing and guaranteed his Magic would never ever let the Hornets take Game 5.

• 2003: The No. 8-seeded Magic were ahead 3-1 on the top seed, the Detroit Pistons. McGrady was so confident the Magic would eliminate the Pistons, he told reporters how good it felt to "finally be in the second round."

• 2007: T-Mac's Houston Rockets entered their opening-round playoff series versus the Utah Jazz riding a 21-game winning streak. "If we don't win this series, it's on me," McGrady said.

Shut up: McGrady's disappointing postseason career only proves how much the universe hates unsubstantiated cockiness.

• 2002: McGrady slipped on a wet spot and didn't play for most of Game 5. And unfortunately for the Magic, Baron Davis did. Davis had a triple-double, helping the Hornets clinch the series.

• 2003: McGrady counted his basketballs before they were racked. In the last three games of that series, the Pistons beat the Magic by an average of 20 points and became the seventh team in NBA history to advance after facing a 3-1 deficit.

• 2007: McGrady has perfected not only the art of the first-round exit, but also sarcasm. "It's my fault," McGrady said after the Rockets lost to the Jazz in seven games. "It's my fault we missed free throws. It's my fault we lost both games. Blame me. It's my fault we fouled to tie the game up. That's my fault. It's my fault they get easy layups. It's my fault we're not executing well on the offensive end. It's my fault a couple people in the stands ordered Heinekens and they got Budweiser. It's my fault. I'm sorry."

Not alot of new info here but i found it interesting that he was the very first guy on the list!! :D

2. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Failed

3. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

X2 :cool:

4. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Seems like she's a bit sloppy with the facts and timelines.

5. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

wooo unsubstantiated cockiness? that's a little harsh...that's how athletes work they always think they can win, it's not arrogance, or cockiness, it's simply the nature of the game have a winning attitude, don't ever doubt yourself or your team...do any of you actually believe tmac is selfish enough to say these things and then just go out there and play with a lackluster effort? no, these are athletes who love the game, they don't want to lose EVER, he has failed to advance every year he has made it to the playoffs, HE has FAILED like 8 times, we as houston fans have only seen him fail 3 times, who do you think is hurting more? so do we really need to constantly attack him for this over and over as if he doesn't know this? yes, it sucks to lose, but there are things beyond others control that keep them from winning series, sometimes people make ridiculous shots to win a game, or people get injured, or no one but your stars perform (i.e. 2004 game 7)

i've been saying this for a long time....just let it rest, leave the guy alone and as a rocket fan pray that he comes back to form, why would you want this guy to fail? it only makes sense to cheer this guy on and hope for the best...otherwise you're just targeting the negative and getting nothing out of the situation

6. Raven

Raven Member

This is where my disgust towards him became tangible. I absolutely despise passive aggressive BS like that.

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

why? because it's true? ok maybe you believe he should shut up and put out considering he is paid $20 something million a year, but what he said is true? he gets blamed for everything, and it has to be incredibly frustrating to a player who can seem to get over the hump, as if that isn't enough bothering them, their fans attack them over ever critical moment of the season as if they are not trying to win

tmac is among the worst at opening his mouth, when he should just ignore it and use it for motivation, he tends to get frustrated and try to either vent his frustrations, or defend himself which is what he did on that quote....i see no wrong in it

those are just my personal feelings, i like mcgrady, i understand where he is coming from, i don't agree with everything he does or everything he says, but i am not one to believe that he is lazy, doesn't care, or it is all his fault

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The chances of the Rockets making it to the 2nd round in the upcoming season are slim. Tracy can't do it without Yao. This is not a defense of him. His greatest chance was at home with a 5 point lead in game 7 against the Jazz with Yao. The team failed to get it,but most of the responsibility lay with Yao and Tracy.

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

What the heck is Jemele Hill talking about in regards to 2002 ?

That was still a best of 5 first round that year.

.....Charlotte won this series 3 games to 1.

......a game 5 that never happened. Baron got his triple double in the Game 4 clincher.

Some bad journalism going on here. How did this oversight get past the editors?

Ms. Hill.... put up....or shut up. ;)

#9 JBIIRockets, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

wow....just saw her error involving the winning streak. She gets paid for this?

1....it wasn't in 06-07
    2....it was actually 22 games
    3....the rockets were not riding the long winning streak at the time of the playoffs.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

McGrady promised that they were going back to Charlotte for a 5th game. The whole water thing? IDK. He played 44 minutes. A major fail on her part.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Makes you wonder... and people are dissing sina for their un-journalism.

13. redao

redao Member

ESPN is showcasing their best hater who does not even know it was a 22-win streak. :eek:

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

And he has lost in the first round 7 times, not 8??

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

FAIL. Clicked the link and she/they changed it to:

SUCCESSFUL EDIT OF FAIL?.........................

NO. DOUBLE FAIL.

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

WAIT...

Wasnt "it's on me" the first rockets jazz series where we lost in 7???

he didnt say "it's on me" the year yao didnt play.

edit:
    according to wikipedia (which is always right): McGrady said "it's on me" in the 07 playoffs (when we lost in 7)

22 game winning as we know was the year after, along with the budweiser qutoes

RACK UP ANOTHER FAIL by this idiot.

#16 Nice Rollin, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

"It's my fault a couple people in the stands ordered Heinekens and they got Budweiser. It's my fault. I'm sorry."
    Wait, this wasn't a 7 game series?? Wasn't this 2 years ago when McGrady didnt have Yao and we lost in 6?

18. Bob Monkeyson

Bob Monkeyson Member

I thought this was also in the 2008 series against the Jazz, and it thought it was during the series, not afterwards...

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

that quote, im certain, wasnt the same year as "it's on me"

McGrady said that giong to Utah after losing the first two games here (without Yao) in 2008.

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

ESPN they iso'ed me! :mad: