1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN790: "If Brad Ausmus is not back [next year], I'm retiring" - Clemens

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by thacabbage, Aug 26, 2005.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

pgabs --

i'm thinking the frustration that you're seeing is coming largely from posts yesterday morning, after the Astros fell a whopping 1.5 games back, which said that the season was over. that the astros were out of it. etc. stuff like that.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Actually, that's not it (that should make pgabriel happy...a disagreement between us). That's coming from frustration from people who think that a lack of a deal means a lack of trying. Call me when a big bat is moved and I'll be the first to criticize if it's warranted.

3. MadMax

i hate you now.

:D

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The lovefest....is....dead. :(

5. MadMax

i ate at Sam's today for lunch :D

go 'stros!!!

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He doesn't get paid to try. He gets paid to get things done. Hunsicker got it done. Purpura hasn't gotten us any help in any area of need for this team. When your top three starters are collectively having one of the best seasons in history and you still have a chance to get into the playoffs despite an anemic offense, you've got to get something done. Even if it's just bullpen help or bench depth. Something!

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, basically make a deal just to make a deal? Hunsicker was paid to make a trade in 2003. He didn't do it. With our 20/20 hindsight we can see why that was a good move. Purpura's in the same situation, IMO.

8. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Tell me...who resigned Clemens this offseason??? Hunsicker or Purpura???

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

But players aren't moving, so how is he supposed to get it done? He agreed on a trade that would have added another solid starter, and an upgrade in the OF (Moyer and Winn), but Moyer refused to come. You can't get things done, when there isn't anything out there.

10. CometsWin

Neither of us really know what players were out there and what the asking price was but it is pretty obvious to people, even players on the team, that we needed some help. I don't have his direct quote but Purpura a while back was talking about not disrupting the chemistry of the team. What in the heck is this guy thinking is my question. That type of comment doesn't indicate to me that he's doing everything he can to get us some help. Just my opinion of course.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Please point out a post where any said we couldn't use another bat. He was on the air today saying he was trying his hardest to get another bat and inferred that it was Griffey he was trying to obtain.

12. CometsWin

It's not hard to offer salary arbitration and then split the difference. Do you really think Clemens came back because Purpura was just so persuasive?

Who blew off Kent this offseason? Who got worked over by Beltran's goon this offseason?

13. CometsWin

I didn't mention that. Only that Purpura is paid to get results, not whine about how hard he's trying.

14. CometsWin

You may be right. We'll see how Purpura performs into next season.

15. Major

Major Member

How is it whining when he's asked a question and answers it?

16. Major

Major Member

Of course, the same players you say it was "obvious" to that we needed help also said that they loved the chemistry of the team and didn't want to make any changes.

17. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Do you really think Purpura hasn't been able to make a trade because he's such a terrible GM? It's real convenient for you to overlook his successes as "not hard" and to point out the losses of All-Stars as reasons for our slump. All I ask is just have fun with the team we have. Besides, F*** Beltran!

18. CometsWin

That he answers a question doesn't mean he's not whining. You can answer a question any number of ways. To me, it sounded like he was whining.

19. CometsWin

That's not necessarily true. The players within the clubhouse, who scoffed at the chemistry comments, were never made public. They were mentioned in a Chron editorial but not by name. Plus, Bags and Bidge are the only players who really have any pull on trades any way.

20. CometsWin

It is possible that he is a terrible GM. We don't know yet. Seriously though, how is Clemens his success? All he did was offer salary arbitration. If anything, it was Drayton's success in luring him here. Great job Drayton!