1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Yao to give $2M to Chinese earthquake victims

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CharlieMurphy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I wonder if this will be enough to get all the monkeys off his back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3435735

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yao is a great palyer and a great person!

3. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Yao has a heart that's bigger than his body... we need more people like him.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

to have people like yao and deke on this team makes me proud to be a rockets fan.

class examples for everyone else in the league.

this not to say the others on the team haven't done their part locally or internationally.

i still commend kenny smith to this day for putting on that katrina basketball game to help raise money

5. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

He was on ESPN's Outside the Lines today discussing his foundation and the measures he's taken to aid the earthquake victims. He also went on about having the opportunity to unite the world at the Olympics and also his support of the Lakers because they "allowed" the Rockets to win the 22nd straight game, and not the Celtics because they broke it. Pretty good interview if you ask me.

6. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Damn....$2?!?

$2 US= 13839799.0 in Chinese monetary!!!

Go Yao! and God pray for those affected by the disaster(s) in China.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Amazing!

When an athlete does something bad its sooo publicized. I'm sure Yao is not doing this for attention anyways, but the good things done by athletes are never that highly regarded.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Props to him.

I find it funny how this action simultaneously punks and validates the complaints of people way back when that he wasn't giving enough money for the relief. Anywho, what we think doesn't matter compared to the impact he will have upon countless lives in doing this.

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/yao_foundation_080610.html

Yao Ming Announces Launch of Foundation
    Yao Ming announces major initiative to help rebuild schools in China

June 10, 2008 (HOUSTON) – Houston Rockets center Yao Ming announced the launch of “The Yao Ming Foundation” at a press conference today at Toyota Center. The foundation, under the auspices of The Giving Back Fund, will help raise funds and awareness of children’s wellness and welfare issues in China and the United States.

May 12, 2008 will forever be a date to remember, as China’s Sichuan and Gansu provinces fell victim to the devastation of a deadly earthquake. The Yao Ming Foundation will respond to this tragedy as its first initiative by creating a call to action and inviting others to follow. The foundation’s primary earthquake relief efforts will focus on rebuilding earthquake-resistant, high-quality schools.

“It is very hard to put into words how difficult it is to see this kind of destruction,” said Yao. “My thoughts and actions are now focused on helping to rebuild the schools that were destroyed in this tragedy and I hope that others around the world will join in our efforts.”

Yao begins the relief efforts by making an initial, personal commitment of two million US dollars.

“Yao Ming is fully committed to helping the people of China recover from this tragedy,” said Houston Rockets Owner Leslie Alexander. “I am pleased to assist him with his goal of rebuilding the schools that were destroyed and I commend him on his quick response to this terrible event.”

Alexander has committed $100,000 to the relief effort through the team’s charitable organization, The Clutch City Foundation. Cold Stone Creamery pledged a minimum donation of $100,000 to be raised through an in-store promotion in China, where a percentage of sales will go to The Yao Ming Foundation. Fellow NBA players Steve Nash, Baron Davis, Greg Oden, Raymond Felton, Andris Biedrins, Marko Jaric and Marcus Williams along with WNBA player Diana Taurasi also donated to the foundation. Houston Mayor Bill White presented The Yao Ming Foundation with over $100,000 in donations from Houston companies and private contributors.

“Houston has shown it has a big heart, and helping to build new schools for people so devastated by the earthquake in China demonstrates it again,” said Mayor White. “We’re proud to work with Yao Ming and generous contributors to make it happen.”

More than 8,000 schoolrooms and 185 schools were destroyed during the 8.0 earthquake in China. A donation of $100,000 will rebuild a permanent school for approximately 300 students while a gift of $3,500 will provide one prefabricated classroom for 50 students, including desks and chairs. Yao will support all of the foundation’s administrative costs. A full 100% of all contributions from the public will go directly to earthquake relief. To partner with Yao in helping to rebuild China and to learn more about The Yao Ming Foundation, visit http://www.theyaomingfoundation.org.

10. ibm

ibm Member

that's pretty funny rationale.

11. ibm

ibm Member

since when the us$ was over-valued so much that two dollars equal that much chinese money? lol.

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Way to go Yao!! God Bless all those affected!!

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I love Yao and all, but come on Lakers didn't "allow" us to beat them. They gave their best shot and we still kicked their azz.

14. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

and a wallet thats bigger than both.

15. Asian Sensation

Yao IS China. Nice job.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

He makes a ton, but still that's 2 mil. I think his gross income last year was 30 mil, say half went to uncle Sam. That left him 15 mil, 2 mil is like 15% of it. Would you donate 15% of your net income to a charity?

17. MacFu

MacFu Member

B.S.. It is such a natural disaster in his home country and he is such a well-known public figure there. Anything less than 50% of his one year income to help the victims there is not satisfactory.

18. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Oops. I meant 2 million lol.

19. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Now I know what Fu in your nick mean........... :rolleyes:

Donation is NOT measured by its amount.............

It is measured by the heart !!

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we have the classiest players in this league.

deke, you don't need an explanation for what a great individual he is.
    tmac does a lot of philanthropic work. now yao is showing this (he does a lot that the public doesn't know about too i'm sure).

now only if they win :(