1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Stein: Adelman's way might get the Rockets up to speed in West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TownBBall, Oct 18, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream was great with every coach. Remember the NBA finals with Ralph/Reid/Wiggins/Lloyd? Its about the supporting cast and the chemistry.

Dream made it to the NBA Finals in Year 2.

2. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

he would perform better if he's fresher in games. JVG put too much on the plate for tmac to start and finish possessions.

adelman mostly puts him in positions to finish, now spreading the playmaking responsibilities to yao and others.

tmac's psyche is good => good things to come.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I think you mean "end", not "start".

:)

4. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

This pretty much sums everything up.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

If his back stay good he'll surely show up this year,with more and more leadership ofcourse and great games.
    And I would really want to see him scoring 50+ at least one night,I miss those:D

6. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Yes, I'll agree with your assessment. T-Mac wanted to be as much of a professional as he could be to the media by not directly blasting JVG. Instead, he would just talk about how he feels Rick Adelman's offense would fit his style of play better without mentioning JVG by name, unlike Bonzi, who we might recall blasted JVG to the media.

7. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

Yep those were the days. I still remember his first year with us when he put up over 40 every now and then, hopefully those days will be back soon.

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

well, u need to take a lot of shots consistently every quarter. even if tmac had a great first quarter last yr, he would be on the bench to start the 2nd and won't come back until 5 mins left and by then his rhythm is gone.

and we have a lot of options this year. tmac just needs to do his job.

if he's having one of those nights though where he explodes for 12-13 pts in the first quarter, i hope adelman goes to him b/c he can then just explodes even more.

but w/ this team, we don't need tracy to score 30 to win against every team.

it'd be nice to have yao score 60 pts though ala shaq did. :D . it's rarer a big man does it.

9. awo86

awo86 Rookie

i'm surprised marc stein srote something so uninsightful

10. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

How about T-Mac taking at least 30 shots a game? That was something I thought he needed to do for the team the last two seasons.

I don't mean for him to be like Kobe, which is take a bunch of stupid, ill-advised shots, and be a ball hog. Instead, I would like to see at least half of those shots from T-Mac be either dunks or layups. He could possible get his 50 if he attacked the rim more and shoot from the perimeter less, and get to the free throw line more.

Really, I'm hopeful that him taking 30 shots a game won't be that necessary this season. What would keep that from being necessary is if the team had good balanced scoring at least from the starters, let alone from the bench.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Let's see now....

Yao spoke out against Gundy as soon as playoffs were over.

Tmac has been indirectly saying for last couple of weeks that Gundy's offense sucked and placed too much load on him. Neither Tmac nor Yao gave a damn when Gundy was let go.

Yeah, Gundy's players sure loved him.

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

tmac couldn't take that many shots last yr. he was not conditioned to take that many shots. this year, i believe he can. but he does not need to.

13. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Could that also be the reason why his explosiveness has been missing? Even with this year's squad, I still think that it would be good if he had it, right?

14. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

this year he can handle it. last yr, the first 2 months of the season were basically him trying to get in shape. he's in shape to start preseason.

so now the first month of the season is tmac trying to find that rhythm rather getting into shape.

plus, he's not going to handle the ball 90% of the time so he can jack up 30 shots b/c he won't be tired from all the playmaking.

but again, tmac just has to do what the team needs him to do that night. if we play an average team, tmac can sit back and let his teammates handle that team and be the playmaker.

if we play a great team, we need tmac to step up and just kill them w/ his scoring binges. i expect we'll see A LOT of scoring binges by him (on a quarter basis)

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't like McGrady's quote towards the end...

... He always sounds so uninspired and unsure of himself at the start of the season.

16. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I'll go along with your thoughts about what T-Mac needs to do for the team while he is out on the floor because I feel that they are correct. When you say that T-Mac has to do what the team needs him to that night, that principle applies to any other player on the team as well.

17. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Gundy residue

18. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

true, but tmac has a special gift of doing anything and everything on the basketball court. usually the other players on our team know their role and they try to do the same things EVERY night. outside of yao for scoring, they don't have the ability to score 40 one night, dish out 10 assist the next night, shut down the other team's perimeter player, then grabs 10 boards, or do whatever.

tmac, only 2-3 other players in this entire league, has the ability to do that. if he sees that his team can score without him doing much, he'll focus on rebounding and defense and playmaking. if his team needs him to score, he'll look to score 30-40 pts.

tmac is the only one on this team who can do that. not only does he take what the defense gives him, he does what the team desperately needs.

i mean, he does not need to score 40 pts when we have yao rolling and the role players making their shots.

19. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Great article. I wish T-Mac would be a little more confident in himself though. He gets kind of "iffy" towards the end of the article.

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

bullard - divac is a "great" player. what has he been smoking? :rolleyes: