1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Oswalt says he'd like to finish career with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Feb 12, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1990231

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Right-hander Roy Oswalt said Saturday he'd like to finish his career with the Houston Astros.

Oswalt avoided arbitration by agreeing Thursday to a two-year, $16.9 million contract with Houston.

It pays him $5.9 million this year and $11 million in 2006. Oswalt, who had a hearing date next week, had asked for a raise from $3,425,000 to $7.8 million and had been offered $6 million by the Astros.

"I do hope to finish my career here. I like how Houston treats players. The biggest thing about this team is it's like a family," said Oswalt, who went 20-10 with a 3.49 ERA last season.

He was the eighth Astros pitcher to win 20 in a season and had two shutouts. He also struck out 206 batters. In four seasons with Houston, Oswalt is 63-27 with a 3.11 ERA in 120 games.

Oswalt traveled to Houston Saturday from his hometown of Weir, Miss., and spoke with reporters at the College Classic Tournament and Astros Fanfest being held at Minute Maid Park.

Oswalt said he and team owner Drayton McLane have become good friends.

"We all have a special relationship here," Oswalt said. "Drayton and I are both country boys and we always joke with each other about it."

McLane called Oswalt one of the top pitchers in baseball.

"We're glad to be keeping him," McLane said. "Our club officials don't know how tough he can be in negotiating."

Hopefully Drayton keeps him not let him leave like Kile and Hampton.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The trade for Hampton worked out pretty good. They got rid of Bell's salary and acquire Dotel who helped them make the playoffs and enabled them to acquire Beltran.

Losing Kile was unfortunate, but it turned into a draft choice that became Brad Lidge.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

You don't know if we will have the same luck again.

4. lalala902102001

Yeah, and he only signed for two years...

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

This reminds me that we get a couple of choices next year since we lost Beltran. Anyone know in what part if the draft these will be located?

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

A Supplemental First Round Pick (#37) and the Mets third round pick (#92).

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Neither Kile nor Hampton had anywhere close to as good stuff as Roy has....nor did they have the same sustained success from DAY 1 when they were here.

Roy is special.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

:rolleyes: I hate explaining how the arbitration years work.

Before he even signed this contract, he's essentially tied to the club for another three years NO MATTER WHAT.

Thus, commiting to signing him to a 5 year deal now really just gives us an extra 2 years of him, with all the risk of him maybe suffering a serious injury in one of these next 3 years (and thus limiting all sorts of flexibility we'd have thereafter).

By sigining the 2 year deal, the club avoids having to have another set of negotiations next year... and cumulatively, he'll still be getting quite a good amount over the next 2 years anyways (so he's not getting low-balled).

You never see arbitration-eligible players sign for a long-term deal unless they're in their last arbitration-eligible year (like Lance just came off of), or in their FA year.

#8 Nick, Feb 12, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

oswalt has been my favorite player since he came up and basically turned me from a fan who liked to watch big offense to a fan who loves watching good pitching even more. oswalt is a special player with great stuff and a killer instinct. this organization will hold on to him like bags and biggio.

10. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

damn good to see we've got oswalt locked up for another few years

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

We already had him locked up for 3 more years.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Read this and honestly, every player, within reason, would love to do that...I think O has a chance, but the 2 yr. thing scares me...

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

why? (read my post above)

14. PhiSlammaJamma

ALL TIME: WINNING PERCENTAGE

Pedro Martinez
    .712 1
    Roy Oswalt
    .700 2
    Roger Clemens
    .666 8
    Randy Johnson
    .657 10

15. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

3 of them have pitched for the Astros:cool:

16. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

I hope we do not go through another Beltran situation with Berkman next off-season. Hate to see him in another uniform.