1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] - No one picks the Astros to win Wild Card

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stack24, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Major

Major Member

We'll see if you're throwing things on the last day of the season if we're losing a deciding game to make the playoffs. :)

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Gun to my head I'd probably say that Florida is the main competition for us since they are the only team with pitching AND hitting. Philly's pitching doesn't scare me as long as you dont go into the 9th down a run or 2 and have to face Wags. The Mets....well, they are the Mets. The Nats are basically the team that is letting everyone back in the race...although, they have good , not great, hitting and 3 decent starters to go along with Cordero.

Tough call...I'm thrilled we are in it...but I'm not like RM...I won't be happy in October watching 8 other teams.

3. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

lol yeah I got it. Anytime i'm optimistic about something it doesn't happen, when i'm pessimistic, it happens. I'm using some reverse psychology with that statement.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is the subject of the poll on espn.com right now...

by the way..the Astros are winning that poll right now :)

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey, I haven't thrown anything due to something sports related since the last time I did. :)

(seriously, I thought it had been awhile, but it was freakin' game 7 when I tossed Dave's tv tray. :D)

6. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Haha that's true but at this point they are surging and have thrown 3 straight shutouts. I see them as the favorite to win the wild card.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Speaking of Wild Card, I got an email today from MLB shop and in their outlet section, there are 2004 Wild Card shirts for $2.97...More gear I don't need, but the price is right...

Clearance

8. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

The great thing about the Astros position is that all their WC competitors are in the NL East and are going to be beating up on each other later on. As of 8/24:

Washington: 19 games against NY, Phil & Fla (& 7 vs. Atl)
    New York: 18 games against Wash, Phil and Fla (& 6 vs. Atl)
    Philadelphia: 18 games against Wash, NY and Fla (& 7 vs. Atl)
    Florida: 19 games against Wash, NY and Phil (& 6 vs. Atl)

While possible (look at the Astros last year), it is doubtful of one of these teams getting red hot---A) a majority of their remaining games are against some very good teams and B) most of the teams are in contention and have something to play for as well.

If these teams just beat each other up, the Stros will have their opening. The question is then, what will they do with it?

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Stros have three games vs the Phillies in Philadelphia the second week of September, and four games vs. the Marlins in Houston the third week of September. The NL Wild Card race will go down to the wire. The Astros performance in these two series will make or break them. I like their chances.

10. today

today Contributing Member

I was looking at the schedules the rest of the way, and if Philly, Wash, Florida, and NY can beat up on each other while Atlanta holds/extends their division lead, we'll have a great shot at sqeaking in. Philly especially has a tough road ahead:

(Home/Away)

PHI: (13/21) - ARI (0/3), NYM (3/3), WAS (0/6), HOU (3/0), FLA (3/3), ATL (4/3), CIN (0/3)

HOU: (16/19) - LAD (0/3), CIN (3/0), STL (3/2), PHI (0/3), MIL (3/3), FLA (4/0), PIT (0/4), CHI (3/4)

FLA: (15/20) - CHI (0/3), STL (3/0), NYM (3/3), WAS (3/4), PHI (3/3), HOU (0/4), ATL (3/3)

WAS: (22/13) - STL (3/0), ATL (3/4), PHI (6/0), FLA (4/3), NYM (3/3), SDP (0/3), SFG (3/0)

NYM: (16/19) - SFG (0/3), PHI (3/3), FLA (3/3), ATL (3/3), STL (0/4), WAS (3/3), COL (4/0)

11. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Thanks for compiling that -- it really lays out the road ahead.

What this tells me is that we have GOT to take care of business against the sub-.500 teams (LA, Cincy, Pitt, Cubbies) No more losing series to those clowns -- especially since we still face St. Louis 5 times.

Of course, winning the Philly and Gnats series would help, too...

EDIT: Also, this is one of the reasons why I don't think Philly is the real threat. Their schedule (lots of road games, 7 against ATL, 6 against FL (who has their number)) is just too tough for a team with crappy starting pitching.