1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] - No one picks the Astros to win Wild Card

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stack24, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

On the mini segmant during Sports Center

Larry Bowa - Picked the Phillies stating that they have a dominant closer who closes out the 9th inning in Billy Wagner and that will be the difference. (guess he forgot Lidge being a dominant closer, no wonder he is not a manager anymore)

John Kruk - Sayng Florida is the best team in NL East and they are the ones that are going to take the Wild Card

Peter Gammons - Also went with Florida

All i got to say is we are going to shut them all up and win the wild card.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How many times do the East teams play each other in the last 6 weeks? The way we've played on this homestand, I can't blame them for picking other teams though.

3. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As of a few hours ago, the Astros were ahead by quite a bit on the ESPN.com poll. Not that it really matters, but at least your average baseball fan still thinks they will win it, even if the "experts" don't.

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

At this point, I don't think you can blame anyone for not picking the Astros. They certainly haven't looked good recently.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As of 24 hours ago, Peter Gammons said the Astros would still win it... and he's somehow the most credible of the three "experts" that you just mentioned.

That should say enough as to how valid the opinion of ESPN guys is.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

No one is going to run away with the wild card. It will come down to the final week. Let's hope the Astro bats become average again and the pitching goes back to stellar.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

not suprising... conisdering the way the team has played over the last several weeks. And then I check in tonight and we're down 5-2 in a Clemen's game. This team is paper thin and relies heavily on rookies/young players, and that will be the deciding factor come September. Will they be the team that rose to 1st in the Wild Card standings or the team that sunk to the bottom of the pack or somewhere in the middle. If they're the latter two than its an early postseason, cause there are too many quality teams too close behind (or tied) to play mediocre ball and expect to back into the Wild Card.

8. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

My gut feeling is the Marlins will take it. The two times they've had a good opportunity to win it they've taken it and gone all the way.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

whatever, you just want another excuse to wear your marlins sweatshirt... :D

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

2 weeks ago everybody was picking the astros. these guys change their mind every freaking day. hell at this point i'm even a little worried, but i still think they can pull it out.

11. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

If the Astros win 15 out of 20, they will be the back on top of everyones list. The list will change at least 4 times before it's all over.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Buster Olney said yesterday he thought the Astros would win the wild card.

Jayson Stark has said he thought the Astros would win the wild card.

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

My favorite Kruk and least favorite the fruity African American whose name I cannot recall now said back in late May/early June we were out and done. They catergorically stated that it is impossible for us to make the post season.

It is really disappointed me coming from pros that have followed and played this game for a long time at the highest level. It showed a great level of irresponsibility on their part but it still gladens to know that they will all eat their words in due time.

14. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Astros will not win the wild card.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Did you get the latest e-mail re: fantasy football? We'll discuss why you're wrong about this at the draft. :)

16. Major

Major Member

For what it's worth, they were discussing remaining schedules on BBTN last night. Astros have the 2nd most home games left (behind the Nationals)... but more importantly, Astros only have 13 games against winning teams (out of about 40-45 games left). All the other teams have between 25-35, if i remember right - primarily because they are all playing each other, I assume.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well if the Astros are going to win it, they need to start WINNING....losing 4 of 5 to the scrub teams of the league at home, is not going to get it done.

DD

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

An optimist would look at how bad they've played since that last Arizona game and say that there's something to be said about the fact that they're only a half game out of the lead. I still think the East will beat up on each other enough to where we won't have to play lights out ball the rest of the season to take the wild card.

Based on how the season started, I'm estatic we're still in the thing. I really think people are missing how great this run has been. I know most people don't care about what happens if you don't make the playoffs, but when less than 25% of the teams make the playoffs in your sport, you've got to learn to enjoy other things because the playoffs just aren't going to happen every year. How we started and how there was really no one out there traded who would've made any significant difference, I'm happy. Get me to football season which will get me to the 2005-06 NBA season which we'll all be happy about in June. :)

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Darn....you go and get married, and get all happy, and then you dribble this stuff.

Bah !!

:D

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What're you talking about??? I've been a happier man for a while now. :D