1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN: NL Wild Card Breakdown

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1877863

The St. Louis Cardinals probably will clinch their division by early next week, and Los Angeles and Atlanta would have to completely collapse to miss the playoffs. So there is one spot open, the wild-card berth, with five teams packed together, separated by only two games.

Houston Astros (76-53)

Current standing: The Astros lead the NL wild-card race by one percentage point over the Giants.

Why they could win the wild card: The Houston offense is piling up runs by the dozens. During the Astros' current 12-game winning streak, they've scored eight runs or more in nine games. Carlos Beltran has nine homers in his last 15 games, third baseman Mike Lamb is hitting like Mike Schmidt, and Lance Berkman has a .429 average in his last six games.

Why they might not make the playoffs: Their rotation has Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt, and Three Other Guys, otherwise known as Brandon Backe, Carlos Hernandez and Pete Munro. And their bullpen is not deep. The pitching won't be a problem so long as the Astros are scoring runs in double-digits.

Telltale number: Houston's on-base average of .348 is second-best in the NL.

Checking the schedule: Not easy. Six of their last 18 games are against St. Louis, and they have a three-game series in San Francisco Sept. 21-23.

Difference maker: Backe has made four starts and pitched effectively since switching from the bullpen, allowing 23 hits and eight walks in 23 innings, with a 3.13 ERA. The Astros have to have more of the same.

Their gift from the baseball gods: Because the Astros are relying on unproven starting pitchers at the back end of their rotation, they are lucky to have Clemens, who can help motivate and prepare on the days he's not pitching.

Their burden from the baseball gods: It's an old team. Stuff happens to old teams, like strains and pulls and tears.

2. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

didn't know we were 23 gaves over .500 :)

doing better than I thought.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

if we do make the playoffs.. 3 man rotation.. having roy and roger the first two days.. at least gives us a chance

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I think they meant 76-63.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah most likey, isoman was poking fun at the article.

6. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

wouldn't mind if our record was that though :)

7. Win

Win Contributing Member

I had given up on the 'Stros chances this year (and for the forseeable future) well over a month ago, so sorta of quit checking in on them in regards to the standings, wins, losses etc. All the more easy to do living in San Diego I'm afraid. And then the winning streak hit ten games and all the sudden I'm hearing about them on the radio talk shows out here and can't believe what's happening.

Looking back, it seems this winning started around the time of the Roy Oswalt plunking issue. Perhaps it is more due to Phil Garner. What are you guys hearing about Garner in Houston? I remember when he played for the 'Stros and have always admired him. What exactly happened to inspire this incredible turn-about? I really like there chances if they can make it into the playoffs, and talk about the drama - perhaps Bidge and Bags' last chance to finish on a winning note. Can you imagine how they must feel about getting the playoff monkey off their back and adding a world series to their resumes? It would all but insure their ticket to Cooperstown. Yeah, with Clemmens and Oswalt in the playoffs it's actually possible for them to go all the way. I am cautiously stoked :cool:

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

me too! :)

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They must finish out this series with the Bucs with 2 wins. It's a 3 way tie for first as of this morning. It's a shame we couldn't take advantage of the DH split and the Giants loss.

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Well, losing 2 of the last 3 isn't helping out our cause any. Looks like the real Astros are back. I just don't understand how with all our talent we continue to faulter.

I look at the Giants and i see a 2 man team. Schmit and Bonds, that's it! The rest of their team couldn't even crack our roster.

Then three is's Atlanta. They lose Glavine and Maddux, yet still win the division with pitchers i've never heard of other than Hampton.

If only we still had Johan Santana. Could you imagine him pitching for us right now? How we signed him and let him go is beyond my imagination. They guy will probably win the AL Cy Young award this year.