1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Projecting Top 10 Point Guards for 2013-14

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, Jul 29, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Any time you rank anything, it generates a flood of disagreement. That's the fun part! I'll stop by Twitter later to field some ?s.</p>&mdash; Bradford Doolittle (@bbdoolittle) <a href="https://twitter.com/bbdoolittle/statuses/361875487267622915">July 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like he got ripped by quite a few people on twitter. Can't wait to see his responses lol. Maybe he was just trolling for attention... never even heard of him until now.

2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Not defending the guy and this is kind of off topic, but has any top 10 list in the history of mankind every been generally agreed upon?

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

No Lin or Beverley? Where is Aaron Brooks? List is not credible.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm a big Lowry fan but how you explain putting him on a list and omitting Tony Parker? LOL wtf btw these are projections, so while he's using WARP he's still projecting the top 10.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not surprised Parker doesn't fare well in this due to his age-- this is a statistical projection based in past NBA data and players are always at risk for a drop off every year in their 30s. The drop off happen earlier or later for different guys but a statistical model is likely to project that Parker does less well next year (perhaps signifcantly so) than he did last season.

No model is 100% accurate when it comes to projecting individual players' performances. Health, summer training, quality of team around a player and how the guy is used all matter. So no need for outrage.

I think these models are more useful for raising questions (like "Is Kyle Lowry really that good?") than it is as a final measure of a player's value.

6. autoprt

autoprt Member

interesting list, surprised to see lowry on it.

7. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

I like cp3, but parker and healthy rose are two best pg in nba

8. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Tony Parker no on the top 10. Even with the drop off (assuming there will be one), he will still be top 10 seeing how he can shoot those tear drops so easily.

9. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

No love for jrue holiday?

10. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Who can read it? Gist of every sentence is a reference to ATH, which he never defines.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why are people complaning about Rondo's lack of placement? If I were a betting man, I would bet my house that Rondo will not have top-10 PG impact next year. Why would any think he will contribute as a top-10 when he's going to miss half the season, and then play half a season(if at all) following major surgery? I understand not reading the article, but please at least read the thread title. 2013-2014 implies next year, and ONLY next year. If someone made a top-10 PG list of 2012-2013, would you be pissed if Derrick Rose wasn't on it?

Personally the only two interesting rankings I found were Irving and Parker. He projects Irving to break out, and Parker to regress. That I'm curious to see what happens. Especially with regards to 32yr old PGs supposedly falling off cliffs.

Wasn't this in the first paragraph?

ATH is the projection module of NBAPET, my system of integrated spreadsheets for tracking, evaluating and forecasting all things NBA.

12. kumakun

kumakun Member

Damian Lilliard and Kyle Lowry don't even belong on this list. How are they better than Rondo and Parker?? Hell, I think Rubio is a better pure PG than those 2. Mike Conley is not top 10, he's below Lowry. This is the worst list ever, who made this crap up. How is Rose not top 3 and Deron Williams is overrated.

13. VBG

VBG Member

I would put Rubio on the list personally as well.

14. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

I know there were some LOF's waiting to see J.Lin on that list. lol

15. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

I'm not going to pretend that I understand all of these advanced stats, but Parker not in the top 10? I had to go over the list a couple times because I was looking for Parker's name. He doesn't get as much praise as he should but to not even make a top 10 list? That is just ridiculous.

16. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Please keep that garbage in the GARM, where it belongs.

[​IMG]

17. Rocketman1234

Rocketman1234 Member

This is bull crap tbh

18. JBar

JBar Rookie

I understand that drop-offs are expected in players' 30s, but Parker's projected drop from an MVP candidate to out of the top ten at his position is a little extreme. John Stockton led the league in true shooting percentage and offensive rating the year he turned 39 in the playoffs. There is no reason to expect a huge decline at Parker's age.

19. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Is he going to at least admit he completely forgot about Tony Parker...?

20. verysimplejason

I'd take Parker over anybody from that list. Achievement: RING. Nobody in that list can boast of a ring. I don't think he'll fade @ 32 yo. He can play at least 3-5 more years competitively before fading entirely.