1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN INSIDER] Astros could trade for Soriano

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Luckyazn, Jan 10, 2005.

1. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Duckworth and Redding would work for me.

I don't think the Rangers are that stupid. Unless they are just looking to unload money.

I had heard in the past the Yankees were looking at wanting to put Soriano in CF. Why couldn't we?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

3. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah, we could have had Soriano for Elarton.. LOL would anyone do that deal NOW? ;)

I think all it really means is, you don't hang onto potential when you are being offered known superior quality for that 'potential'.

Funny thing is, I would rather part with Burke than Backe.. we did fine last year with Kent's sub-par defense at 2b.. but Backe has already shown that he can do the job of a 3 or 4 spot rotation pitcher.. maybe even better..

Also, Jason Lane is already 28??? Good grief! How long are we going to 'covet' this guy's 'potential' ?? Until he's 35? Sheesh, if the guy hasn't managed to break into the bigs with the outfields we have had over the last few years.. the guy is pushing 30 already, if someone wants to give us something good in return, DO it.

I just look back at these so-called 'great potential talents' we hung onto with a deathgrip.. people like Ward and Elarton.. and we missed out on some seriously good value in return, and wound up with very little in the long run.

4. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

we could have had soriano for alou but he did not waive the no trade clause

5. MadMax

i hear ya on this. i really hope i'm wrong...but i think if jason lane were a real solution, he would have been that by now.

the good news is that purpura is much more from the player development camp than hunsicker was.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

EXCELLENT post

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

A few of questions...

If I read the article correctly aren't they asking for Burke and a couple of other minor league pitchers (not Backe)?

Would Soriano be any worse then Craig in LF?

Wouldn't it still be professional to deal with Boras to try to get Magglio?

8. MykTek

MykTek Member

Elarton was a complete bust, but didn't he have a serious elbow injury or shouder or something.....and as for Ward....if I remember right he started one full season and batted like 275 and had like 15 hrs....and the astros thought that was all they would get out of him and traded him....

I think Ward would have been a serviceable outfielder/1st baseman .....and he provided power off the bench....but yeah....

just think what if we did traded for Soriano back then, he was a top prospect himself at the time, not an allstar 2b .....so he could have turned out the same way.....it's just a gamble when you trade for players....

example...gambles that astros have taken in the past...drabek, swindell that were bad and johnson and clemons that turned out good....just a gamble sometimes u have to take....

Jason Lane hasn't really had a chance in the 2-3 yrs he's been in the big leagues.... i just looked up his stats, 122 AB's is the most he had...and that was last yr.....I know he's alittle on the older side, but still give him a chance....

and Burke....he seems to have the potential to be the next craig biggio....maybe if we trade for soriano, we move burke to catcher... =P

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Jason Lane is a solid OF. He's not spectacular, but he's not bad. His minor and major league numbers suggest he could hit for decent average with 25 - 30 homers. And the best part is, he's cheap.

Soriano has value as a hitter at 2B, because he's better than almost everyone else there. He's basically the same as Jeff Kent that we had last season though, so I don't see the thinking. I thought the idea was to let Kent go so we could let Burke, a leadoff hitter-type guy, play and add speed and defense to the lineup. If you're looking for a LF, suck it up and deal with Boras for Ordonez. He's much better than Soriano as a hitter, and probably as a LF, and he's not going to cost much more if any per season.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I would only if he agreed to play CF...but even then, $10MM/year for this guy...Not sure if he's worth it...

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It would be a one year deal, guys. Meaning, the Astros could be competitive this year while still retaining flexibility to go into FA next year and get the other young bat they need with Lance, or just resign Soriano reasonably if they choose. Magglio Ordonez is a better hitter, but he had major surgery this year and has Scott Boras as his agent. Either one is fine on a one year deal, but Magglio on a longer deal has to be incentive laden or club optioned, if not no dice.

12. MadMax

and didn't i hear that boras wasn't going to let ordonez take a physical or work out for a club??

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

So let's trade two of our best prospects for a horrible defending, free swinging 2B who's contract is up at the end of the season? No thanks.

Anyone have a list of free agents for 2006?

14. MadMax

you'd have to do the deal contingent on him signing a long-term deal..similar to the Randy Johnson trade.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I wouldn't do both prospects and I never said I would, I just was saying that he would be a rental if they so choosed to do so, retaining flexibility for next offseason. I probably would do one of them and a marginal prospect, but I definitely wouldn't do two of them.

All I was pointing out is that Soriano would be a one year contract going in. Now if he demands an extension as a condition of the trade immediately, again look elsewhere.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The Astros have had their eye on Soriano to play CF for years. Remember the when we nearly traded Alou for him but Alou blocked the trade with his no trade clause?

Edit* My bad rocketlaunch, just saw that you already mentioned this.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

He'd make more sense in CF but he really believes that he can play 2B. If they can get him to move back out to the outfield then this would be a good move.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

2006 Potential Free Agents

19. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Man there's nobody on that 2006 Free agents list

So after 05'

Biggio/Bagwell will be gone. Move Berkman to 1st base, basically we need a WHOLE NEW OUTFIELD.

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Biggio will be, but I think Bagwell has at least one more year after this season left on his contract.