1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN INSIDER] Astros could trade for Soriano

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Luckyazn, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But Bukre COULD be a guy who hits 20 homers and steals 20 bases every year, with good defense and not all the strikeouts.

Soriano would be a great guy to have, but trading 2 of our best young guys is a steep price. If the Rangers are desperate, maybe we can give them just one and some other throw-ins.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

are we still on for watching some football this weekend??

3. MadMax

to be fair...you trade for the sure thing, when you can.

i'd consider trading burke and someone else...i'm hesitant on trading backe, though. of course, i was hesitant on trading elarton, and we all know what that cost us! :mad:

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Absolutely.

5. MadMax

where??? live??

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I agree....Soriano is still young enough to trade for and even if Burke turns out to be decent, we still get a good young player for him. Tough call on Backe...I think if this guy Astacio or Buchholz are ready, maybe you pull the trigger

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Soriano's stats

his stats across the board has been decreasing.

I don't know what caused this slide but it should be a red flag. As much as I like soriano (and I do), we should proceed with caution and not just get him as a rebound after Beltran dumped us.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The cheapest place we can find. :)

Just kidding, Live sounds great. Haven't been there since election night. Which, btw, Saturday was a freakin' exact replica of that day. All day long, hearing that it was gonna end up roses for me and my guy, then to have it all fall apart in the end. :)

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If the deal is Burke for Soriano, there is no question that the Astros should do it. That is an unbelievable trade for Houston.

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

assuming someone would want Baggs, I think he'd retire if we tried to trade him

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I don't think Soriano makes us contenders as we would still ahve a huge hole in the outfield, plus the team has yet to address the bullpen issues. If this is the big offseason move they are considering, I say don't. Like I said, it doesn't make us serious contenders so just bring in the young talent and build for a run in a couple of years. Who knows, may Burke and Tavares come in and exceed all expectations.

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I reallly like Tavares I say give the guy a chance... Maybe he can help my broken heart :(

13. NJRocket

But if we add Soriano....and make a minor deal for Winn, defensively, out OF isnt AS bad and our offense, all of a sudden, gains a tremendous amount of speed

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I dont know enough about Chris Burke, but from what I read he seems to be the real deal. It seems like we could come up with someone else to get Soriano.

15. NJRocket

The point is that Soriano is going to play 2B....unless Burke is switching positions, he would be on the bench anyway.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's what I'm saying. Buchholz should be ready. I'm thinking that if we can get Clemens and Pettite back, and by some way Carlos Hernandez is ready to try his luck again, then I'm saying you gotta pull the trigger. I just wish we would have kept Miller.

Also, I think we should take a gamble on Omar Daal. He's pitched nearly 1200 career innings, and only given up 140 home runs.

This is all wishful thinking, but if we could make a push for Magglio Ordonez, take a gamble on Daal as a fourth starter or so, trade for Soriano, and pick up a decent bullpen guy, then I think we'd be alright. That's probably asking too much though.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Eddie, I would like Maggs as well, but I doubt Drayton wants to work with Boras again. Im sure that jackass agent would be seeking a 15 year, 120 million dollar contract.

If we can add Soriano and Winn, I think we would have a very competitive squad next year. That would be nice.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I do believe that he did play some OF in the minors. I could be wrong about that. I think he's worth picking up for his offense, but not worth it for his defense if it's at 2nd.

I also don't want it to be done for Chris Burke. I just get this sense that he might be the next Michael Young.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My fault. I wasn't aware that Mags was with Boras. So, that pretty much rules out the best free agent outfielder left on the market.:mad:

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Burke is fine to deal for Soriano, because he is a sure thing and will pound the ball into the boxes. But Burke and Backe...I would say hell no at this point. Not with Rocket still a question mark. If you can get Roger to commit to coming back if we get Soriano, then maybe consider it...but otherwise, you can't even have the potential of going into the season with Oswalt, Pettite, and scrubs. Backe isnt' proven yet, but at worst he shoudl be good for 10 wins. Absolute worst. (assuming good health)

I think I'd prefer to keep Burke for his speed and defense. This team, as it stands, needs to go back to small ball. Trading for Soriano would put us in the 'tweener spot even more than we are now. But with Burke, I think we're better-built for small ball if we can get a good 4th starter.