1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN INSIDER] Astros could trade for Soriano

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Luckyazn, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

[ESPN INSIDER] Astros could trade for Soriano

Even though he strikes out alot. Soriano hits for a better avg. than Beltran, about the same HRS and Stolen Base.

Soriano:
    2002 Avg. .300 39hrs 102rbi 41sb
    2003 Avg. .290 38hrs 91rbi 35sb

If you could get Soriano for 10-12mil. He would replace Kent from last yr and remember we were consider Contenders before Beltran.

Biggio
    Soriano
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Lane
    Everett
    Ensberg
    Ausmus

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Only if he agrees to play the outfield. He is a horrible defensive 2B. Actually worse than Jeff Kent. Besides, it's time to give Chris Burke a shot. If Soriano agrees to play CF, then I say do it.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

They were discussing this yesterday and I dont know if hes worth that much money. He swings a great bat and has speed but his defense is terrible. The Rangers are trying to dump him to concentrate on Delgado. I would pass

4. Luckyazn

Soriano key to landing Delgado

By T.R. Sullivan

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Center fielder Carlos Beltran is on his way to the New York Mets.

First baseman Carlos Delgado could join him unless the Rangers can free up some money by trading Alfonso Soriano to the Houston Astros.

That's one scenario that could evolve after Beltran spurned the Astros late Saturday night and closed in on an agreement with the Mets on a seven-year contract reportedly worth $119 million.

"I'm obviously very disappointed," Astros general manager Tim Purpura said. "I really thought we were going to get it done right up until the end, but we just ran out of time."

Losing Beltran and second baseman Jeff Kent, who signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers, leaves the Astros looking for offense, and the Rangers could help them by offering Soriano. The Rangers and Astros had preliminary discussions about Soriano at the winter meetings, but the Astros told the Rangers they wanted to wait until the Beltran situation was resolved. Now that it has been, sources said those talks probably will be revived this week.

The Rangers have even had preliminary talks with free-agent second baseman Roberto Alomar should they trade Soriano and not receive a second baseman in return.

The Rangers would likely want right-hander Brandon Backe in return from the Astros. But the Astros aren't likely to deal him, especially if Roger Clemens retires.

The Rangers might have to settle for minor league pitching. The Astros' two most intriguing pitching prospects are Mike Burns, who was 11-3 with a 1.67 ERA and nine saves for Double A Round Rock last year, and Ezequiel Astacio, who was 13-10 with a 3.89 ERA for Round Rock. Burns had 94 strikeouts in 80 2/3 innings, and Astacio struck out 185 in 176 innings.

The Rangers probably would also ask for second baseman Chris Burke, one of the Astros' top prospects. A first-round draft pick (10th overall) in 2001, Burke hit .314 with 14 home runs and 37 stolen bases for Triple A New Orleans last year.

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

His defense is terrible at second and hes played there forever, what makes you think he can play CF?

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If they're going to ask for Burke and Backe, no dice. In fact, why don't we just go after Delgado and keep out young talent? He's probably no worse in LF than what we had last year, and a heck of a bat.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Delgado cant play LF....dont be ridiculous.

We should dish Bags to an AL contender to be a DH for some piching....go after Delgado...and trade Backe for Soriano

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd do Burke for Soriano. I think that helps Clemens decide to return as well.

But wait, all this means that the front office had a plan B, which we all know isn't true.

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No one would pay 39 million dollars to a DH with an arthritic shoulder who clearly is on the decline. Let's be realistic. Jeff Bagwell isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

10. NJRocket

RM - a plan B is something that is worked on WHILE plan A is being worked on...incase you F- up plan A...not a desperate afterthought

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They talked about this during the winter meetings and said they'd revisit after Beltran made his decision. That's exactly what it sounds like they're doing and that's the definition of having a plan B.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're making huge assumptions here, NJ. you're assuming far more than you know.

13. NJRocket

I never saw anything where they said they were going to revisit a Soriano deal after Beltran decided....i could be wrong but i rally dont recall seeing anything like that....all I rememebr were some speculative articles in the chronicle or espn insider that a backe for soriano deal was rumored to be discussed

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As much as I would like to have Soriano on our team, I don't want to trade Burke or Backe to get him. That sounds stupid (b/c of course you have to give something to get something) and I havent' seen Burke play comfortably on the team, but I think he'll be a good player for some reason. Call it a hunch. Maybe it's because I am reminded of a lardass of a player that looked godawful stepping up to the batter's box back in the playoffs in 2001. I asked myself what the hell is he doing going up to bat. Little did I know, he turned out to be Lance Berkman.

15. NJRocket

true...you could be right....in fact I hope you are...I hope there was a plan B all along

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

From an article posted in this thread:

Sounds like a plan B to me. :)

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

purpura's immediate comments at the press conference indicated they had been looking at other options along the way. a self-serving statement...but i doubt seriously these guys were twiddling their thumbs all day waiting for boras to call without looking into alternatives if it didn't work out. just because plan b hasn't come to fruition less than 48 hours after plan a fell apart doesn't mean there was no plan b.

now that's not to say you'll like plan b. that's a whole other story.

18. Luckyazn

Burke to me might just be another ADAM EVERETT .... .270 15hrs 60rbi guy

Soriano is a proven ALLSTAR who can hit .300 38hrs 100rbi 40sb

I think Burke and Lane are OK players but with Bagwell, Biggio going out next yr. You cant build a team around Lane/Burke/Everett those are like ROLE players.

19. NJRocket

i hate you...;)

i hope something works out....im just so bummed out right now

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey, I'm just trying to be positive. Hard to do after one of my worst personal sports weekends ever and my fiancee losing her job today. :)