1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] GM Morey says Rockets can win title

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by burnshroom, Mar 30, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Elhassan is such a fraud. Definition of a media doosh

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you guys win a title?

A) YES
    B) NO

ESPN gets a headline either way.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its not convincing because the refs swallowing their whistles is a real thing that happens. Doesn't mean that a foul isn't a foul.

It also doesn't mean that while James might not get all the calls he gets in the regular season, that he's still the Rockets best chance of winning. Morey's point I'm guessing is to say that he's still doing more than the other guy to have an effective offense. Its not the ONLY thing he's doing to get points and get others involved ALA Kevin Martin pre-rule change.

But yes, I'm sure Morey is concerned that in the playoffs the Refs wont call fouls a foul as I am concerned. Its just that he can't let it take him away from still trying to finish those plays at the rim if he isn't getting that call, and he can't stop attacking the paint just because he doesn't get a call. They still NEED him to break down the defense to get open shots, or try and score.

4. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

I see nothing wrong with what Morey said. He's suppose to show confidence in his team!

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

There are more PFs called and FTs taken in playoff games than regular season games. Harden averages 9.8 FT in the regular season and 9.7FT in the playoffs as a Rocket, including this season.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not in the camp that thinks Morey needs to keep his mouth shut. I like that he's active with the media. I know it's probably impossible, but it would be nice if he could work something out where he gets to approve/disapprove the headline of the article in exchange for some kind of access.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So then the concern is really more of a superstition than I guess.

8. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

And then NBA on ESPN Facebook page ran with this Headline for their story. smh

[​IMG]

9. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Sorry. can a mod edit my previous post?

[​IMG]

10. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

We need Dwight to be an offensive force like last playoff. Anyone thinking we could survive with Harden doing everything in the playoffs are deluding themselves.

We need other players to step up on offense.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Mr. Reality, he said something similar last season if I recall, no reason to get your panties in bunch. LOL. I'm a bit old school like Greg Popovich and would rather come into playoffs as far under the radar and as humble as possible. No need to thump my chest. That's reality to me.

13. kreem

kreem Member

I really hope so!!!

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Meh, the headline is something of a Rorschach test. If you want to see it as "arrogant Rockets GM being arrogant as always, can't keep mouth shut" you can. If you want to see it as "media painting Rockets as villains again" you can. Doesn't really mean it's either.

Ten or so teams have a chance to win a title at this time every year and if directly asked will never deny they have a chance. So...pretty much a generic answer to a generic question as far as I'm concerned.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Haha, pretty much !

16. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

It's true that anyone has a chance to beat anybody.

I feel like if we were on the outside looking in (say as a Clippers fan) I'm sure there is a much different perspective. Clippers fans probably say they don't want to face the Rockets either because we have started to figure them out and they struggle to dominate us this year.

Spurs fans probably desperately don't want to face the Warriors or the Rockets.

Dallas fans could be dying to see a Houston-Dallas match up because they think they have the better odds (as we do them)

17. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Come on, we have more gamers in here than that!

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I'm waiting to see how Harden responds when the refs test him by letting opposing players kick the crap out of him on a couple of early possessions. I think Harden has been badly thrown off his game when that happens even if they make up the calls for him later. He's mentally shrunk in the past, but OTOH he's clearly a better player this year so how he responds to that will be a great indicator of just how much he's grown.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Daryl Morey doesnt play basketball pro

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

There's really only 3 playoff teams in the west that can't win it all this year: Dallas, Portland, and OKC.