1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN - Daily Dime] - "All the critics can kiss..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by killahflip, Mar 13, 2008.

1. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

Dikembe is one funny guy, here's his quote on win number 20:

"The Rockets have won 20 games straight," sung Dikembe Mutombo to nobody in particular. "All the critics can kiss my black ass."

Here's the rest of the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080313

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Did this ^ need it's own thread?

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Awesome. Not in his house!

4. neobomb

neobomb Member

man ESPN is full of people who aren't fans just people who don't want to be wrong... but i'm with DEKE except kiss my brown ASS

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

haha the caption says the Hawks will go for 21 on friday...still no respect

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]
    ATLANTA -- Part of being a great team is the ability to win when you're not at your best.

And Wednesday night, the Rockets were most definitely not at their best. Houston trailed by double digits five minutes into the game, scored a season-low 32 points in the first half, and shot 33 percent from the field and 65 percent from the free-throw line. Yet for the 20th time in a row, they won, beating Atlanta 83-75.

I'll repeat for emphasis: the twentieth time in a row. The Rockets' improbable winning streak now ranks tied for the second-longest in NBA history, trailing only the 1971-72 Lakers' 33 straight for the all-time record.

As far as winning streaks go, this one could hardly have been more unexpected. Remember, the Rockets were 15-16 on New Year's Day. They've won eight straight without All-Star center Yao Ming, whose absence was expected by many to submarine their playoff hopes. And for the most part, the wins have not been lucky one-point escapes but a series of impressive blowouts.

Even on a rough night, Houston was in control by the end. In fact, the Rockets narrowly missed out on an NBA record when Atlanta's Marvin Williams dunked in the final seconds, costing the Rockets an 11th-straight win by double digits.

Nonetheless, there's no doubt that this victory was the ugliest of the 20. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and afterward the Rockets celebrated their ability to gut out a win when they were so clearly off their game.

"It wasn't very pretty, maybe the ugliest thing we've done," said Rockets coach Rick Adelman. "But it might have been the best one, the way we fought through it."

Maybe that's why the scene in Houston's locker room was so light. They know they dodged a bullet, so this was a different kind of win than their string of recent romps. Moreover, the win combined with San Antonio's loss in New Orleans to put the Rockets into a tie for first place in the Southwest Division.

"The Rockets have won 20 games straight," sung Dikembe Mutombo to nobody in particular. "All the critics can kiss my black ass."

Tracy McGrady poked fun at his rough shooting night, saying, "I gave myself a chance," by hoisting 28 shots (he only made 10).

And Adelman suggested the off night was Mutombo's fault -- he had hosted the team at his Atlanta home the night before.

All joking aside, this win has to offer at least a little worry for Houston, as the team's ability to score against tough opponents remains in question without Yao Ming as a threat on the blocks.

"We don't have a low-post presence anywhere," said Adelman before the game. "Trust me, not having that big fella to throw the ball into when you need it is a big item."

The Rockets hadn't felt Yao's absence while the jumpers were falling, especially since several of the recent wins came against the league's lesser teams. But with McGrady struggling for a half and Rafer Alston mired in a 3-for-18 brickfest, they had nowhere to turn. They could still survive against a team like Atlanta, but when facing the likes of the Lakers or Celtics -- as they do on Sunday and Tuesday -- they'll need to be much sharper.

That's especially true since rookie revelation Carl Landry remains out with a sore knee, and may not be ready for Sunday's showdown against L.A. for first place in the West. Adelman said he couldn't offer a timetable but that they didn't want to rush him back.

Not that the Rockets are looking past the next test. They host Charlotte on Friday, where they'll be after win No. 21, and they're already vowing to avoid a stumble in what looks to be a classic trap game.

"It would be uncharacteristic of our group to even think of anything past Friday," said Rockets forward Shane Battier.

So I'll go ahead and look past it for you, Shane. The real challenge comes afterward, as the Rockets face a five-game gauntlet that reads Lakers, Celtics, at Hornets, at Warriors, at Suns. Regardless of how well they play, I'm guessing Houston's streak doesn't reach 25.

But that still will make it the second-longest in history. And between now and Friday, they have 48 hours to bask in an amazing accomplishment. Adelman said he the last time he'd only won 20 in a row once before -- when he was coaching at Chemeketa Community College in Salem, Oregon. "But that's not quite the same as this," he said.

"I don't think anyone imagined winning 20 in a row," said Battier of his club, which needed 37 contests to win its first 20 games.

McGrady noted that not even the 1995-96 Bulls, who went an all-time best 72-10, were able to muster a 20-game win streak. The best the Jordannaires did was 18.

"I think of all the great players and great teams that have been a part of this league, for me to be on this team that's accomplished 20 straight wins, it's got to be up there with the most gratifying things I've accomplished in this league," he said.

And perhaps it's even more gratifying to do it this way -- with a team that doesn't overwhelm with individual talent, but rather has become massively more than the sum of its parts.

"We have an amazing belief in each other and in our system," said Battier. "Nothing great is every accomplished without those two things. I think it's hard for people to understand who aren't with us every day, but that's just the truth."

No, we're not with the Rockets every day. But for at least two more days, the rest of us get to enjoy this utterly unexpected, magical ride.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider.[/rquoter]

7. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

I wish I could hear Mutombo actually say that with his deep, scratchy voice.

8. Cjballa14

Cjballa14 Member

I was in the locker room when he said this tonight... I'll tell the whole story later once i get pics uploaded to prove it. But it was freaking hilarious...he yelled it at the top of his lungs...

p.s. Running in to Les Alexander at away games has a ton of benifits, he gave me and my dad Owners guest passes to go to the locker room after the game cuz we flew to ATL to see history tonight....

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I like that they're not letting the wins get to their heads. They know its a big deal, but they still have the mentality that its not enough, and they don't give a damn about the praise or criticism of the streak. Barkley can hate. Kenny can hate. All of the ESPN, SI, and all opponents can hate crew can hate. ESPN can alter their hate into cautious optimism ready to write them off again if they happen to stumble. The streak is impressive no matter how you look at it. I'm just enjoying the ride. We all should. We may never see anything like this for the rest of our lives. Not just from the Rockets but any team.

10. scottlaw

scottlaw Rookie

I was shocked that the reporter could understand what he said.

11. Possum

Possum Member

Anyone get a soundbite? I would like to make it my ring tone! :D in fact =

12. killahflip

Sound bite would be great!! Please someone post and thanks in advance!

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

"Where does the line start?"
    [​IMG]

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Deke!! Awesome!!

that just went to the top of the list in my Facebook favorite quotes.

Nice. :cool:

15. superden

superden Contributing Member

[obligatory deke phrase] WHO WANTS TO SEX MUTOMBO?! [/obligatory deke phrase]

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

"And all critics can kiss my white ass." - Novak

17. xiudou@cn

xiudou@cn Member

Then lots of African become critics.

I mean they just want to kiss the ass of their hero.

I'll be a critic if Yao said this...

18. killahflip

So does anyone have the video or sound byte of this quote? Apparently it was caught during an interview after the game.

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

:confused:

...lol?

20. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

landry might not be ready for the lakers game? that sux