1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Could have Traded Miller but we Didn't

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stack24, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I didn't mind that we didn't give Miller and offer and stuff but if the Red Sox had been trying to work a deal and trade for him i am really bothered that we didn't and we just let him go. Im sure we could have taken something decent for him at least some prospects. Now we got nothing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1959609

Wade Miller, Boston Red Sox (one-year, $1.5 million deal)
    While big deals went to pitching question marks like Eric Milton and Kris Benson, the Red Sox might have picked up one of the best bargains of the offseason.

Miller was shut down last July because of concerns about his right rotator cuff and was non-tendered by the Astros. The Red Sox, who had been interested in dealing for Miller, quickly pounced, offering him an incentive-laden deal.

The Red Sox's medical tests show good strength in Miller's rotator cuff. If their gamble pays off, the Sox will have themselves an affordable No. 2 starter, one who averaged 15 wins per season in the three years before 2004.

If Miller needs additional recovery time -- or even surgery -- the Sox will have him under their control for 2006, at a relatively low arbitration figure.

2. wstar

wstar Member

while i happen to agree that miller is a nice pick-up for the sox at that price...keep in mind this is written by a red sox beat writer. he's not exactly peter "i work for the red sox" gammons, but a heavily biased red sox follower nonetheless.

3. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

eh what can ya do now though.....

would have been nice to get something for him though

agree there.

4. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

any guesses who we could have gotten for Miller.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The offer was for Dave Roberts (CF) but I believe that it was the Sox that turned it down.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Jut b/c they were "interested in dealing" doens't mean crap. In all likelihood - given his injury and contract status we probably would've gotten the same thing we got back now - fat load of nothing - except we'd actually have to pay somebody to be nothing in that go-round.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree...and in that case, you're better just to part ways and move on.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It does make you think. Hun was able to get quality for Jeroime Robertson and Geoff Blum. Surely even an injured Miller (rotator cuff given the green light by the Boston medical staff) could have gotten more in trade than those 2 scrubs did.

9. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Also agree . . . worthless speculation. Stros made the right call