1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN.COM's Jayson Stark] Players who have cleared waivers and players who can't

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'm not saying that our young players have peaked. I'm just disagreeing with bobrek's assertion that they'll all be better next year, by which he implied that the team will improve next year even if Drayton doesn't sign or trade for an impact player.

We could sit here all day and toss out names of young players who never developed - Truby, Ward, Meluskey, etc. We could also throw out names of guys who did improve. But it's crazy to take bobrek's position that all of our young guys will step up next season.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You stated Taveras was the ONLY player on this team who would improve next year. I stated that I expect Lane, Burke, Berkman, Astacio, Rodriguez and Backe would improve next season over their performance this season.

No where did I say that the team would improve next year without adding other players. For example, I do NOT expect Clemens to pitch as well next year as he has this year (if he pitches at all). He may have a better W-L record, but to expect the same ERA is a pipe dream.

While the current team is a contender (and probably would contend "as is" next year as well), it is clear they need another starter, another reliable reliever and an outfield or first base bat to aid in that effort.

3. kevwun

kevwun Member

Tim Redding would kill for a pitch that has as good of movement as Zeke's splitter. Astacio has also shown improvement. Wandy is another story. He's giving off a Jeriome Robertson vibe imo.