1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN.COM] Pre-season Rankings, 'stros @ 17

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by UTweezer, Feb 18, 2005.

1. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1994416

Yankees begin on top

1. New York Yankees: They won 101 games last year and added Randy Johnson and depth to their bullpen. Jason Giambi's status is still a huge question.

2. Boston Red Sox: Alex Rodriguez has become the focal point of Boston's competitive rage; it's like he's the side of beef in the movie "Rocky," and all the Red Sox are taking their shots.

3. St. Louis Cardinals: They lost Edgar Renteria, but they gained a potential staff ace in Mark Mulder. The nagging injuries to Albert Pujols are a concern.

4. Florida Marlins: They could be very, very good -- but they'll only go as far as Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett and Guillermo Mota lead them.

5. Anaheim Angels: Added two terrific major-league veterans in Steve Finley and Orlando Cabrera, and their only major question is if the relievers will respond in new roles.

6. Atlanta Braves: The biggest story of the spring that's not related to steroids is whether the Braves can sign Tim Hudson to a long-term deal.

7. Chicago Cubs: They're going to need some leaders on their team this year, and who better than Wood, Maddux, Prior and Zambrano?

8. Minnesota Twins: They locked up Johan Santana to a four-year deal; when small-market teams are able to retain their pitching, that's a measure of parity (but not much).

9. San Francisco Giants: Filled their biggest hole with the addition of closer Armando Benitez. But they might want to see if they can play an extra outfielder between Bonds and Alou.

10. New York Mets: And with the start of spring training, the big search for middle relief begins; the rotation will be undermined without it.

11. San Diego Padres: They didn't make any big offseason acquisitions, but they did improve their bench and added Dave Roberts to play center field.

12. Cleveland Indians: They're going to rack up a lot of runs, and if they can hold leads, they should be able to win a lot of games this season.

13. Texas Rangers: Considering the state of their starting rotation last year, they overachieved. Would not be a big surprise if they took a small step back this year.

14. Seattle Mariners: They've added some power in the middle of their batting order in Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson, and now they desperately need to get some healthy arms on their staff.

15. Philadelphia Phillies: There was a notion that the Phillies' struggles were caused by the fiery personality of former manager Larry Bowa. Now that he's gone, we'll find out if that was true.

16. Los Angeles Dodgers: They've made a lot of changes, and are banking a lot on J.D. Drew to lead the team. How he'll respond is among the major questions heading into the upcoming season.

17. Houston Astros: Lots of offense went out the door with the departure of Carlos Beltran and Jeff Kent. Either a young player must emerge to pick up the offensive slack, or a trade will need to be made.

18. Oakland Athletics: The offense is stronger than it has been since the 2001 season, and they've got a lot of good arms on their staff. The big question: How quickly will the pitchers mature?

19. Detroit Tigers: Jeremy Bonderman pitched like an ace down the stretch last year, and if the Tigers are to have a real chance in the AL Central, he'll have to continue that again this season.

20. Baltimore Orioles: Slammin' Sammy would make more of an impact if he brought along a friend -- say, a No. 1 or No. 2-type starting pitcher? The O's rotation, without a doubt, is really lacking.

21. Chicago White Sox: They decided to shuffle the deck, trading Carlos Lee and not re-signing Magglio Ordonez, and added some pitching (Orlando Hernandez, Dustin Hermanson) along with catcher A.J. Pierzynski.

22. Arizona Diamondbacks: The new ownership worked hard in the offseason to change the face of the team -- but they've got a long way to go, after winning just 51 games all of last season.

23. Milwaukee Brewers: Slowly, they're on the rise to respectability. They should be an interesting team this year, with the expected addition of some high-level, young position prospects.

24. Pittsburgh Pirates: They're piecing something together, and appear to be moving in the right direction -- but can they hold it together for an extended period of time? We'll see about that.

25. Cincinnati Reds: In what's become the usual, Ken Griffey, Jr. is the biggest question heading into spring training-- can he stay healthy, finally? If so, they'll have some depth in their outfield.

26. Toronto Blue Jays: Somebody should raise the idea of rotating the Jays and Devil Rays out of the AL East, because unless the Yankees and Red Sox are run incompetently, it's hard for Toronto to compete.

27. Colorado Rockies: Maybe young left-hander Jeff Francis will turn into the pitching savior the Rockies need so very much. If not, the 2005 season could be worse than it's expected to be.

28. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: Easiest prediction of the year: The fiery and always colorful Lou Piniella is definitely going to blow a gasket as he watches this team lose time and time and time again.

29. Washington Nationals: Baseball's Bingo Long All-Stars have finally found a permanent home. It'll be a while longer before you can realistically expect them to win on a consistent basis.

30. Kansas City Royals: The window of opportunity that seemed to be open last spring has closed, and now they've got to work toward another.

The RANGERS are ahead of us?

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Projecting the Astros for the upcoming season is pretty much impossible. There are so many question marks on this team. Oswalt and Lidge are likely to have similar seasons. Clemens, Bagwell, Ausmus, and Biggio should all decline a bit. And that's pretty much it. Everything else is questionable. If everything goes right, we'd have an average offense, a great rotation, and a solid bullpen. Which could mean wild card provided the Cards don't simply implode. If everything goes wrong, this could be a horrible 70 win team.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Thanks, Drayton.

4. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Should he have called up Buster Olney and argued with him about the rankings?

I think it's pretty presumptuous to say the Astros have gone from being one game away from winning the NL pennant to being the 17th-best team in baseball. Just as the Astros were a trendy preseason World Series pick last year, they are a trendy team to knock this year. Either way, preseason predictions mean little and are wrong as often as they are right.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I hope you're right. I like our rotation a lot. I think we're top 2 or 3 in the NL with who we've got going on the hill.

Our sticks are a MAJOR ISSUE.

6. msn

msn Member

No kidding.

Thanks for 15 years of Biggio and Bagwell. Thanks for Lance Berkman. Thanks for Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens. Thanks for getting Beltran and RJ for half a season each, even if the organization screwed up (or had no chance of) signing them long term. What a ride!! Thanks for ten years of being competitive, which I will take over the 70's or most of the 80's every day of the week. And while you're at it, Mr. McLane, would you thank all the boys for finally beating the hell out of the *#*#$*%#* Braveless last season? What a ride!!

Indeed: thanks a million, Drayton McLane. From the bottom of my brick-and-sand-bleeding-Astros-fan heart, thanks.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

God, how I wish we were the Brewers. Lousy Dreighton. :rolleyes:

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Are they really?

This team has yet to really be an "awful" offensive team in this ballpark... and the BEST offensive team (according to the stats) that they've had in the past 5 years was the 2000 team, with the likes of Chris Truby, Julio Lugo, and Mitch Meluskey getting plenty of AB's.

Offense is the MOST UNPREDICTABLE facet of baseball. We had a great offensive team on paper last year... and yet that didn't stop them from tanking for seemingly months on end (for some reason, when they slumped... they ALL slumped... feast or famine at its finest).

I'll stick with my mindset that as long as the pitchers are healthy and performing... this team will be just fine.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Sounds about right. You never know what can happen, but only the most ardent homer would think that this is one of the best teams in baseball

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I can't seem to understand why some of you think that because we have a bunch of unknowns, that we should be thought of in a higher regard when it comes to projecting the upcoming standings.

Granted, Nick has a point...offense is very unpredictable....but I'll take proven hitters over what we are toting out there any day of the week.

You guys can argue with me all you like...based on what I see, and what the baseball world sees, we are maybe the 8th best team in the NL. If thats what you consider "fine", then so be it.

I don't see how you can look at this team and be confident that we will make the playoffs. You guys are assuming that the young guys are going to come in a make a bug splash....I'm assuming they will play like typical highly touted rookies. You guys are also assuming that Backe is going to be like the Backe we saw in the playoffs....but whenever we ingrates like to say that we lost the Beltran we saw in the playoffs, you guys are quick to point out that he didn't really do much in the regular season. The regular season Backe was like 5-3...and had a 4 something ERA...not exactly stellar.

I'm looking forward to opening day...but I'm not gonna kid myself into thinking that, without a major trade for a major bat, this team can make a run in September.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Yo NJ,

There is a reason they play the games.

Sometimes I get the feel from your posts that unless we do something major, Drayton should just sell the team and we close down Minute Maid Park for good.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I always wonder if Pittsburgh and Montreal fans say that every year.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I agree with you here. However, I think it's inevitable that we will if we're competitive into June. I guess that's why I'm so optimistic about things because I think that's entirely possible.

I also agree that it's entirely possible that they'll be horrible from the get go. But looking at needing two months from who we have rather than six makes things a little easier to stomach, IMO.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he's our FOURTH starter NJ, what kind of numbers do you need to see to be happy with him? he's not meant to be roy oswalt. no one is expecting backe to be an ace or even duplicate his playoff performance over the course of an entire season. however last year was essentially his rookie season as a starter and even before the playoffs he was coming into his own. what's wrong with being optimistic about that? he only has to be a good #4 and we'll be fine.

i agree we're gonna need some help but you never know what the season will bring.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

They actually do say that until June comes around. ;)

As for me, this lineup will kick hiny to the tone of 90-93 wins....

Everyday lineup

Taveras (CF)
    Ensberg (3rd)
    Bagwell (1st)
    Berkman (Lf)/Lamb(Lf)
    Lane (RF)
    Everret (SS)
    Ausmus (C)
    Burke (2nd)
    Pitcher (P)

Starting pitchers

Oswalt
    Pettitte
    Clemens
    Backe
    Astacio/Hernandez

#15 Fegwu, Feb 19, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  16. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Let the youth movement begin

17. msn

msn Member

I didn't say that. I think the current ranking is fair. I just can't wait for the season to start.

Thanks, will do! :p

I'm not.

I don't assume at all. If I have enough facts, I draw a conclusion. As far as Backe and the rookies, I hope they have a great season, and only time will tell!

I agree.

18. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

with the departure of Kent, Beltran u lose HRs and RBIs....

With Everett healthy, Berkman to come back eventually, Ensberg taking quicker swings, Lane getting a full season to work with, and Burke , a percentage hitter, runs will be produced. HRs and doubles, they don't always equal offense! I don't think Boston was relying on HRs last year to create all that offense.... Sure, they hit a few, but it's their ability to NOT STRIKE OUT! They have good bat control. They have people on the bench and people in the bullpen working as a team. What the Astros have this year, is speedier players, with the exception of Beltran. Lane is still somewhat young, he won't be all that slow; Everett is back and will need to get on base to display some baserunning abilities. Ensberg has shown that he could still run, Burke is a speedy 2nd basemen with good (better than Kent) defensive skills, at least that's what all the scouting reports indicated. The infield defense will be good. If it's really that bad, Taveras is not that far off from being able to produce, although the Astros would probably want him to stay in AAA to play every day.

Back to the offense, good baserunning, more contact hitting and timely hits, will win you a lot of games. With the exception of Kent, the Astros is boasting the exact same team that was hyped up last season... give them a chance to play!

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I dont think the preseason ranking is that big of a big deal. I thought they shoud have been a few spots higher but not in the top 10 due to all of uncertanty in the linup producing. The top of your rotation is extremly solid so you never know what will happen.

Remember in just about every preseason predection last year the Cards were supposed to finish 3rd in the central.

20. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

We're ranked 17th....I guess we should just go ahead and hang them up for the season.

I am sure the Astros are really going to read this article and say, "Well, lets go fishing instead."

I get a kick out of all these rankings. Just as in college football. They start ranking teams, what, like two months before they even play a game?

Before a team plays a game, how in the world can you rank them?