1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN.com: Hubie Brown To Coach Grizzlies

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/1112/1459770.html
    _
    Lowe resigns after Memphis' start reaches 0-8
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services
    MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Sidney Lowe resigned Tuesday as coach of the winless Memphis Grizzlies and will be succeeded by Hubie Brown, ESPN's Hank Goldberg has learned.

Brown, a former head coach of the Atlanta Hawks and Knicks, has been working NBA telecasts for Turner Sports since 1987. His hiring will be announced at a 4 p.m. ET news conference.

Lowe's resignation came the day after the Grizzlies -- the only winless team in the NBA this season -- lost their eighth game, playing at home against the Golden State Warriors.

"There are several reasons," Lowe told the Memphis Commerical Appeal via telephone Tuesday. "I just felt it was best for the franchise and for me that I move on. It was just too much."

Grizzlies director of player personnel Tony Barone Sr. is expected to move to the bench as an assistant with Lionel Hollins, the Memphis Commerical-Appeal reported. Lowe assistants Scott Roth and Mitchell Anderson will be asked to remain as scouts.

Lowe was in his third season with the Grizzlies, who have never had a winning since the team began playing in 1995. The team moved to Memphis last year from Vancouver.

The Grizzlies had their best records under Lowe, 23-59 in the two previous seasons. Lowe was formerly an assistant coach with the Cleveland Cavaliers and head coach with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

During the offseason, Memphis hired Jerry West, one of the most respected executives in the NBA, as president of basketball operations.

His move to Memphis had Grizzlies fans fired up, and his additions, including first-round draft choice Drew Gooden and Wesley Person, a shooting guard from Cleveland, increased the optimism.

But the Grizzlies were criticized for uninspired play shortly into the season, particularly on defense.

Lowe was still experimenting with different lineups when he left the team.

"It was tough," Lowe told the Commerical Appeal. "I like Jerry a lot. He's someone I'll keep in touch with. I don't have any ill feelings and I hope they don't have any towards me."

Before the Warriors' game, Lowe said he was still expecting the Grizzlies to come around.

Prior to the Grizzlies Nov. 4 overtime loss to San Antonio, West said he had no intentions of replacing Lowe. The team also started last season 0-8.

When he took over, West praised Lowe for the team's hustle last season, even though it ended up a loser.

Lowe's resignation came after poor back-to-back performances by the Grizzlies in losses to Denver and Golden State.

The Grizzlies scored 73 points against Denver, their worst scoring since March 3 when they scored 71 against Seattle. Memphis were down by 25 points in the second half against the Golden State Warriors, who won by 108-101.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yea -- the most grating of ann BB announcers, worse than Brent Mussberger, is gone !!! Let's hear it for T - N - T !!!

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have to disagree. I think Hubie Brown is the best color guy on TV. His analysis is always very good and more targeted to basketball enthusiasts. He might not be as "entertaining" as a Walton but his basic core analysis is great, particularly in late game situations analyzing all aspects of what a team needs to do to win the game.

As for Musburger, I like his enthusiasm but sometimes he runs over Sean Elliott, not giving him time to speak. That should never happen with a play-by-play guy.

Chris

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

And Jerry West takes his cue from the Democrats for a replacement.

5. Timing

Timing Member

Whoa! Hubie Brown? I like him on TV but I dunno about coaching.

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

count me in as another who is pleased to see Hubie off the air.

the less interviews he has the better.

creeeeaaak.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"in pow i now have one of the premier players that we have in this league at 7 foot 1 and with long arms"

8. Nikos

Nikos Member

I like Hubie a lot. I think he is the best NBA analyst there is, PERIOD.

I don't know how good of a coach he will be though.

9. Holden

Holden Member

i hated hubie brown at first..but then i got used to him. im neautral on his commentating..

danny ainge..however...

i will never, ever, ever get used to...
    someone get this man a coaching job...

others im happy left the booth to coach:
    (doc rivers, isaiah thomas)

damn, isaiah is hard to spell.

10. Timing

Timing Member

Apparently this isn't an interim deal, Brown got a 3 year $10 million deal. :eek:

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

The problem with his "basketball entusiast" targeted commentary is that everything he says is very obvious. Hubie's grating voice and ability to tell me what I already know was never all that impressive to me.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Hey at least he changed his hairdo. :D

The last time he coached was in 86-87? Anyone remember what his coaching M.O. was?

13. FlyWilliams

FlyWilliams Contributing Member

Hubie was like Alf: he totally carried the rest of the cast.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope this means that Shane Battier will be a fantasy stud again...

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I hope this means that Gordan Giricek gets used more and becomes the stud he can be!

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

For those of you too young to know any better, Hubie has coached in the NBA before. He didn't start as a broadcaster.

Prior to his broadcasting career, Brown was one of the NBA's most respected and well-known figures, serving as head coach of the Atlanta Hawks (1976-81) and the New York Knicks (1982-87).
    Before that, was head coach of the American Basketball Association's (ABA) Kentucky Colonels (1974-76), winning the ABA championship in 1975. He first entered the NBA ranks as an assistant coach for the Milwaukee Bucks under Larry Costello (1972-74).

17. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Hubie's known around the league as a terrific teacher, which is exactly what Memphis needs with their glut of young players (Gasol, Gooden, Battier, Williams, Swift). He is 69 years old though, so this has to be a short term thing.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i was surprised when brown's name came up. actually i was floored. it is nice i don't have to listen to him anymore. i swear, if i have to hear him tell a team to go for the easy two at the end of a game (no matter the situation) again i'll explode. down 9 with 8 seconds left, get the easy two. down 23 with 19 seconds left, get the easy two. yo hubie, they invented this thing called the 3 point line you can use for desperate situations. let them use it. and it's not like the other team just hands you the damn 2 unless they are up like 7 and just don't want to foul. otherwise, the two is damn near as hard as the 3. well at least we know how to defend memphis in the last few seconds of a game.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hubie is at his 'most' grating when he uses the 'we' for referencing him and the NBA. Hubes is much more proprietorial about the enbeeay than David 'The Robe' Stern!!!

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

This was a very interesting hire in my eyes, not to mention, totally shocking. Hubie has an excellent Xs and Os mind and that, along with discipline and structure, it just what the Grizz needs. My only concern would be, is Hubie in touch enough with todays player to be effective?