1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Article: Yao's Pal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SteveFrancis3, Nov 3, 2002.

1. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1455052.html

Saturday, November 2

Yao gets a boost, thanks to N'diaye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

HOUSTON -- Only had to wait three games for the first thing to spark some big-league spunk from Yao Ming.

That thing is named Mamadou N'diaye.

N'diaye, assuming you (justifiably) don't know, is the Toronto Raptors' backup center.
    It's a status N'diaye (pronounced en-JAI) claimed largely because the injury-ravaged Raptors are without three other potential backup centers: Nate Huffman, Eric Montross and, of course, the soon-to-retire Hakeem Olajuwon.

Now, though, N'diaye can also be ID'd as the guy whose presence had Yao suddenly calling for the ball on the left block, backing into his man and spinning up-and-under along the baseline just like Dream used to.

"That was Dream's move, absolutely," said Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich, who would certainly know.

It was a pump fake up and a duck underneath and one long, powerful step to the rim for an underhand layup. It is a Dream move most 7-foot-5 guys can't make; the safe guess is that no else that size can. It happened in the first quarter, right after Yao had rumbled past N'diaye for an 8-foot jump hook, and the Rockets -- so grateful to have drafted someone else with the capacity to make a smaller man's legendary moves -- didn't dare complain that it only happened once.

Nor do they care that all eight of Yao's points in an 88-76 victory over Toronto came against N'diaye. Or that Yao looked timid in his home debut, just like his first two games, until N'diaye checked in with 7:11 to go in the first. Or that his first NBA dunk came on an assist from -- guess who? -- N'diaye, whose attempt to save a ball under the hoop turned into a perfect bounce pass to the all-alone Yao.

Nit-pick? Yao crazy? The Rockets saw bodies in every seat in a building that almost never sells out. There were only three full houses last season -- both visits by the Los Angeles Lakers and Michael Jordan's only appearance with Washington. This was merely the home opener, the same game that drew an even 9,500 a year ago, so the Rockets are leaving critiques to the media.

"It's just so much, so fast," Tomjanovich said. "I really have a lot of compassion for the guy. Every single play is analyzed up to what he eats for breakfast. Everyone tries to compare him to this or that. We're not even going to get into that. We're happy we got him."

No one on the Houston side would admit as much, but the hosts had to be pleased that Yao got a dose of N'diaye when he did. Right as Rudy is -- unfair as it is to really judge Yao right now -- the Rockets want to see immediate progress as much as anyone. If only to build the kid's confidence.

Without warning, with N'diaye in for starter Jelani McCoy, it came. Yao missed a turnaround jumper, but kept posting up and raising his arm, signaling for an entry pass. Two quick scores, in a span of 36 seconds, ended N'diaye's stint and forced Antonio Davis -- only 6-9 and 230 pounds but lugging much more savvy -- to take over. Yao got the ball one more time and found a cutting Eddie Griffin for a layup try that led to free throws.

"I thought Yao," Houston's Steve Francis said, "brought a lot to the table."

"I was definitely more relaxed tonight," Yao added.

Tomjanovich contends that nerves weighed Yao down in sluggish road showings in Indiana and Denver, in which he combined to total two points and nine rebounds. The showing Saturday only buoyed the coach's spirits further, even though Yao, after seven rebounds against the Nuggets, didn't grab even one Saturday with any force or flair. Yao managed just four boards and one blocked shot on the perimeter against the Raptors, and being more active defensively around the basket is something he should be able to handle as a rookie.

"We're just patiently waiting for him to get settled down with his nervous system," Rudy. T said.

He went on to point out that this was the first back-to-back set of Yao's career, then happily told the story of his own NBA debut. Yao, too, has heard how Rudy T.'s first NBA shot bounced off the backboard and all the way back to him at the free-throw line. Without hitting any rim.

"Yao fell out laughing," Tomjanovich said. "And he hasn't been anywhere near that tight."

Turns out Yao also hasn't been watching SportsCenter or any other show devoted to tracking every step those size-18s make. A confessed Internet freak, Yao says he isn't even reading Chinese media accounts of his play, which in this case supplemented a television broadcast available in an estimated 280 million households back home.

The activities Yao has planned for Sunday, the first off day in his new NBA life?

"Video games, fishing and driving," Yao said.

"He's very secure about himself," said Colin Pine, Yao's interpreter and new 24-hour companion. "I don't think he worries about what people are saying. He's not interested in it."

So, no, Yao probably won't hear it when someone brings up how Mo Peterson knocked the ball out of his hands before he could dunk again in the fourth quarter. Or how he wound up on the bench for the final 4:44, with Tomjanovich forced to send his starters back in after the Raptors rallied from 26 down (without Vince Carter or Davis) to give Houston a late scare.

"I try to keep a positive and happy attitude about what I do," Yao said, helped along by that N'diaye guy.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. E-mail him at marc.stein@espn3.com.

I hate these idiots. :mad:
    I like the convenient email link below the article though.

2. coolpet

coolpet Member

it is a good article, very postive toward YAO, why u hate it?!

3. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

It didn't read as that positive to me.

The guy is saying, "Look no big deal, Yao looked nice today against a complete scrub. His performance doesn't mean anything."

4. timm

timm Member

Yes. I think there ar e a couple of backhanded compliments there.
    But abyway, Yao is forcing his way into ESPN.

If does well by All Star break all this turn very positive. It really depedns on how Yao progresses.

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

So we have to make excuses for every team that has injuries to a starting center or a center that is not Shaq? Where are the excuses for us whipping up on the Raptors without Grega's Brother, MT, TMo, & Rice?

They still showed highlights of Jordan sinking a winner over Craig Ehlo. Did they say "Oh, well that wasn't that great cuz it was Ehlo"... :mad:

It's a microscope? More like a radio telescope! :rolleyes:

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

This Article was from M.Stein, he has no love for Yao Ming!You can feel it all the way through!

7. jlaw

jlaw Member

A boost of confidence. That is what he needs. ESPN stinks.

Chinese fans, all Rox fans, please send a love letter to that idiot to kindly tell him what kind of BS he is putting up.:mad:

Use this link.
    marc.stein@espn3.com

#7 jlaw, Nov 3, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2002
  8. edc

edc Contributing Member

Driving. Check.
    Video Games. Check.

Fishing? Anyone see a 7-ft-5+ guy hanging around Galveston? Do any of the Rox have a boat? Regardless, the weather probably nixed those plans, but I still find it a bit interesting he wants to spend at least a couple hours of his day off in the car :)

9. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I had to laugh out loud when I read Rudy's first NBA shot story, too. Bet he does the video games with the other Rockets.

10. INrocket

INrocket Member

some of you are so sensitive, marc stein ain't hatin on yao, he picked ming to be ROY.

11. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

thats just his way of hating on boki and maddox.
    that b*stard :mad:

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

You're hilarious bro!

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://dynamic.espn.go.com/espn/chat/chatESPN?event_id=2701

Leon (Houston): I think after the all-star break, we will see the real "Yao Ming". You think so?? And please, franchise and your backcourt teammates please share the ball. Eddie and Yao need more touches.

Marc Stein: (3:03 PM ET ) He's doing pretty well already when you consider everything going on his life. Good to see Yao have a little run of success the other night just to build some confidence, even if it all came against Mamadou N'diaye. Like I said before the season, Yao is going to get ROY consideration from me if he's still standing come March and april. If he's in the 10-and-10 range, for all the other hoops he has to jump through, the Rockets would have to be thrilled.

14. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

He will be doing well far before the allstar break... :D