1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Epic Movie] The Hobbit: Part 1 (coming December 2012)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

What the hell is this? The Seven Stooges? I think Jackson just lost it. Very underwhelm with this teaser. Seems like a rush job with badly lid backstage or they're on a sound stage.

2. bigben69

bigben69 Member

We have to remember its called a teaser for a reason....It made a point to introduce the characters for the journey. It is not like Peter Jackson made up the characters or how they were described to look. I am certain the movie will be good. It is a great book.

3. Convictedstupid

My body is ready.jpg

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Looks great, I trust Peter Jackson to do it right.

Can't wait for the battle of 5 armies at the end.
    DD

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

More than a teaser, IMO

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eM--4UklaL4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks epic.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

He wants less singing more hobbit xxx

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wonder how many folks here have seen Jackson's films of LOTR, but never read the books? That are looking forward to The Hobbit, because they loved Jackson's films, yet never read the novel? Probably more than one might imagine. And yeah, that battle scene is going to be awesome. And the Dragon! Tolkien wrote such rich descriptions of the places they went to in the book. The town on the water. The Elves in the Woodland Realm. And Jackson plans to visit some things what were referred to, but not seriously described, in The Hobbit. I'm looking forward to that, as well.

#107 Deckard, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'd be one of them...I just couldn't get into the books. Couldn't through Fellowship it was just so slow. But I loved the films. Can't say that I'm dying for this, but after seeing the trailer, it brought back fond memories and definitely rekindled my love Middle Earth.

1 person likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps Jackson's films can persuade you to give the novels another chance. Try reading The Hobbit. It's much "easier" reading than LOTR, and much funnier, as well. Honest! And thanks for confirming what I suspected. Heck, I've seen countless films based on novels I haven't read, or else read later, like The Maltese Falcon, by Dashiell Hammett. So you are not alone. :)-

I have to confess that I've read read all four novels by Tolkien at least four times, having discovered them in the mid-1960's. I've never tired of them. I'll read The Hobbit again before the flick comes out. The genre is one of my favorites, and this is as good as it gets.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I can support the claim that the Hobbit was a much easier and enjoyable read than LOTR. I didn't even finish Fellowship, but I breezed through Hobbit.

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I'm another one of them who try to read his book but couldn't finish. It's like trying to read a encyclopedia but I love Jackson 3 films especially the first one. The first Hobbit seems to have that same companions adventure journey type feel like the first LOTR which I love. Just finished playing Dragon Age:Origins and I'm kinda depress cause I really miss that adventorous journey with my companions. I trust Peter Jackson will be on top of his game but I'm curious to see how this 48fps is going to look in 3D.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I wonder that too. It makes me sad when I hear people say they like the movies and haven't bothered with the books. Same with Harry Potter. Probably the same with George R. R. Martin as well.

The trailer looks pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing Jackson adapt this onto the silver screen. For me the scene I want to see most is Bilbo and Gollum swapping riddles in the dark. That scene was so damn memorable when I read that book back in middle school.

13. DaDakota

If you can not get through the LOTR series and you really should try, it starts kicking after the first 100 pages or so, there is an excellent BBS produced dramatization of the entire series...13 CDs in all, and all acted brilliantly with sound effects etc....

As for the hobbit, I wonder if he will explore Radagast the Brown or Tom Bombidal, since they were left out of the LOTR movies.

And I can't wait to see the dwarves in barrels floating down the river.

DD

14. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Other family members who've read and loved them say it definitely picks up at the end of Fellowship and beginning of Two Towers. So I may have to try it again, or start with the Hobbit.

I think what go to me when trying to read it is there are so many verses and song, and then the whole tangent of getting lost in the forest before making it to Bree...felt that would never end.

15. cdain3

cdain3 Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KO-H7ORV_FE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KO-H7ORV_FE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

16. DaDakota

CRAP...BBC production, I meant......If you like listening to novels in the car, this is like old time radio with actors and sound effects, it is amazing.

Buy it NOW !!

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-BB...492X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326085862&sr=8-1

DD

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

For those of you who haven't actually read the Lord of the Rings, or tried Fellowship and gave up, you should give it another go. About 3/4 through Fellowship, the book/story changes and it becomes what you would expect after watching the movies. After you finish all three volumes you forget that the first couple hundred pages kind of dragged.

It's like the first half of The Fellowship was just a continuation of the Hobbit before Tolkien decided to change writing style and stories.

18. DaDakota

It picks up after Bilbos birthday party.

DD

19. dmc89

dmc89 Member

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I thought Bilbo didn't visibly age between The Hobbit and LoTR? Why are they using a much younger actor?