1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Epic Movie] The Hobbit: Part 1 (coming December 2012)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Apr 1, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Somehow, he's got the right facial features for a hobbit. Good choice.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dwarves!

[​IMG]

JOHN CALLEN as Oin and PETER HAMBLETON as Gloin

[​IMG]

JED BROPHY as Nori, ADAM BROWN as Ori and MARK HADLOW as Dori

3. SunsRocketsfan

next hollywood trend.. split movies into two parts

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1 & Part 2
    Twilight - Breaking Dawn Part 1 & Part 2
    The Hobbit - Part 1 & Part 2

Whats next?

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Wouldn't mind an Avengers part 1 & 2. Epical.

Maybe they can do the same with the X-Men movies so they can give proper attention to all the characters.

5. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Photoshop of the Dwarves so far.....

[​IMG]

With 3 more released today...

[​IMG]

Is it just me or do they look....animated?? Like not real people dressed up?

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

[​IMG]

Evangeline Lilly (from LOST) joins the cast. Interview below.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/evangeline-lilly-talks-the-hobbit

Now you’re in New Zealand filming The Hobbit with Peter Jackson. It’s a long commitment which would make some actors balk. Was that a concern?

“I will be in and out of New Zealand for the course of a year. It worked out well. For a lot of actors, being that tied down would be problematic for their careers because they wouldn’t have the freedom to take any other part in the meantime. For me it’s perfect because I want to have time to spend with my family and relax and focus on my writing. This role gives me a framework within which to do that because I’m not working all the time but I’m working enough. When you’re not working at all, you get lost in space and time and don’t accomplish anything. It’s a flexible work environment and I don’t have to be estranged from my family.”

When you played Kate you were always doing physical scenes and stunts. How are you prepping for The Hobbit?

“With every film, you have to educate yourself on the material and it’s often things you don’t know a lot about. Right now I’m studying Elvish and having conversations with people about learning how to be an archer, a swordsperson and how to fight like an elf instead of a gritty convict.” [Laughs]

Did you have any reservations about joining The Hobbit cast?

“With The Hobbit, it was a no-brainer because I have been a fan of those books since I was 13-years-old.”

Being a fan of the books, what did you make of Jackson’s Lord Of The Rings trilogy and all the changes he mad to the story?

“When the original came out in theatres, I swore up and down that I would not see them because I thought it was sacrilege that anyone would adapt Tolkien’s work. I didn’t think anyone would justify films by making them as good as they should be. Then my entire family when I was visiting went to see the movie and so I relented and went. We were all fans of the books and we were all blown away! It was a little piece of magic what Peter Jackson accomplished because it was truly a homage to the books rather than an offense.”

Tauriel is a new character in the mythology so as a book purist yourself that must be frightening to ponder how fans will react to your part?

“Yeah! I am very concerned to this day that people will watch the film and I’ll be the black mark on the film. I know how adamant the purists are and I’m one of them! That said, upon reading The Hobbit again, as an adult, I can see why additional characters were needed to round out the story as an adaptation – especially female characters! The Hobbit didn’t include female characters at all and was a very linear story, a book for children, really. What Peter, Fran (Walsh) and Philippa (Boyens) have done is all in perfect keeping with Tolkien’s world, while adding a third dimension to an otherwise very two-dimensional story.”

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You mean, current Hollywood trend.

I'm ok with it if it gives a movie has the depth of story for four hours of screen time.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully more like 7 hours of screen time with these two...

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Lilly. YUM!

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Interesting the Evangeline will be in The Hobbit since she dated Lost co-star Dominic Monaghan for 5 years and Dom played Merry in The Lord of the Rings.

11. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

translation: Every story needs breasts.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The expansion of the Arwen character was one of the worst parts of the LotR movies (the green tide of death or the evil lighthouse were probably the worst). For some reason they can't just accept that the books were written at a time when having female characters in an adventure story was not important. There was no need to replace Glorfindel with Arwen, and there is no need to invent a character for Freckles. On the other hand, I loved the LotR movies and I am sure I will love the Hobbit, stupid additional elf chicks or no.

13. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

My first time looking at this thread so I'm a little late.. but she's not movie star hot at all.

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Can't lie... I'm really worried about the characters in there who weren't in the book. Most of all Legolas. I feel like he's going to waste a bunch of perfectly good screen-time.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. I loved the Jackson films and have watched them several times (I've also read the novels several times), but I still grind my teeth when the Elves show up at Helm's Deep.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I can kind of understand some of the "need" for a female role within the context of a movie, but at the same time it seems hackneyed. The books are good specifically because they correspond to the world Tolkien created, lack of female leads included.

I mean, why not add some black guys to balance that out too?

Meh - it will still be good and I'm sure I'll still enjoy the hell out of it. Here's hoping they adapt some of the silmarillion.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Could the silmarillion be a seperate, connected movie after the Hobbit movies?

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

That's what I was hoping for. I suspect the hobbit will cover some of it (for example Dol Guldor).

You'd need at least a trilogy to cover all of the silmarillion (IMHO).

Even then, you'd probably need to delete many side-tales that are awesome, but not necessarily intrinsic to the overarching epic saga.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Wouldn't it be awesome to have

LOTR 1
    LOTR 2
    LOTR 3
    The Hobbit 1
    The Hobbit 2
    The Silmarillion 1
    The Silmarillion 2
    The Silmarillion 3

And then watch them all in sequence... :grin:

1 person likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/clSUILKxW3w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>