1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Epic Movie] The Hobbit: Part 1 (coming December 2012)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Apr 1, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He played an elf in LOTR, didn't he? Like an extra?

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I didn't know until a couple of minutes ago that Peter Jackson had talked Christopher Lee into coming back. Last I'd heard, he said that he was too old to fly to New Zealand. That's great news.

3. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I did not know how old Christopher Lee was until I wiki'd him. He'll be almost 90 when the film is released.

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Yeah him and Ian McKellen aren't young bucks anymore. Hope we don't have another Dumbledore/Richard Harris thing.

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

This is a terrible thing to say, but I would be more sad if Ian McKellen were to pass away during filming instead of Chris Lee because Gandalf is my favorite character and crucial to the movie versus Saruman.

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Yeah, he played this elf though I wouldn't have known since they look very different.

[​IMG]

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Is it even more terrible if I agree with you?

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nimoy and The Hobbit already is EPIC!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LR-MSZSLC5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Speaking of EPIC and Lord of the Rings.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2f86R_Z0_xI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

He's played a Hobbit too.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c0lHNCiiXGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think he read the audiobook, too.

12. dmc89

dmc89 Member

It's fascinating how different it is this time waiting for the Hobbit using Facebook, Twitter, and Google when in 1999 I only had Netscape and some strange Geocities pages.

Surprisingly, PJ has been quite involved in updating his Facebook page with frequent and detailed updates. For a director working on such a gargantuan project, it's great to see him or his PR team taking the time to do this.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/easter-break/10150231377401558

Update 1 "Just arrived at our four-day Easter break, which will be a nice time to recharge batteries and do a few script tweaks for future scenes.

We always find there are three distinct phases in the life of a film script. First, it exists before the film starts shooting. In this period, which can last from months to years, the script is a theoretical document—an imaginative version of the movie.

Then you start shooting and things come much more into focus—usually in a very positive way. We now have actors who bring their skill to the roles and suddenly we see the characters in a more vivid and tangible way. This is both fun and satisfying, and always inspires us to embark on constant script revisions to meet the renewed potential these characters now have. I feel that much of the best writing happens during this period, but it does make a very busy time—very, very busy! Sometimes we have gotten these revisions to the actors a little late. We constantly joke to Ian McKellen that tomorrow's script pages will be slid under his door sometime the night before... and sometimes that has been true.

The worst case of this came during The Fellowship of the Ring, when we revised Boromir's long speech about Mordor at the last minute and only got it to Sean Bean on the day it was being shot. Sean handled it very cleverly—if you look at the movie, you'll see he occasionally has his head bowed, as if dealing with the emotional weight of the horrors of Mordor. In actual fact, the new script page had been taped to his knee! By the time we were done with several takes and a few different camera angles, Sean had the speech down pat, and it was mainly those takes that were used in the final cut.

The final writing phase comes in post-production, when you edit the movie. No matter what you were imagining when you wrote the script, and what you imagined during the shoot, nothing now matters beyond the actual cut film. We often find that script work continues during post, including writing and shooting new scenes, reorganising the order of scenes, or recording additional dialogue to slip into shots. We do all of these things, and the writing only stops when the film is finally finished.

Many thanks for all the comments about the first posts. A few common questions have come up and I'll answer some of those over the break. Now to get back to the script for those Rivendell scenes we have coming up...

Cheers,

Peter J"

Update 2 "One comment that came up from the recent video blog was the Bilbo voice at the end—many of you assumed it was Sir Ian Holm. Whilst Ian will be returning as the older Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, that recording was actually Martin Freeman's voice, taken from a script read through we recorded when the cast first arrived. I have to admit, I wasn't sure who it was when I first heard it, either. Cheers, Peter J"

13. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

14. dmc89

dmc89 Member

[​IMG]

Actor Lee Pace cast in 'The Hobbit' for role as Elven king, Thranduil.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/05/02/lee-pace-cast-in-the-hobbit-our-hopes-for-his-comeback-grow/

"I'm very pleased to be welcoming two new cast members to our team.

Dean O'Gorman will be playing Fili. Dean's a terrific Kiwi actor, who I am thrilled to be working with. He's recently been in an excellent TV series down here called "The Almighty Johnsons", and I should let fans of that show know that our shooting schedule allows Dean to continue with a second series next year. Dean will be joining us next week.

I'm also pleased to announce that Lee Pace will be playing the Elven King Thranduil. Casting these Tolkien stories is very difficult, especially the Elven characters, and Lee has always been our first choice for Thranduil. He's going to be great. We loved his performance in a movie called "The Fall" a few years ago, and have been hoping to work with him since. When we were first discussing who would be right for Thranduil, Lee came into mind almost immediately.

It's been a great week, and I'm looking forward to the next few. It's going to be interesting...

More soon.

Cheers,
    Peter J"

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Wow, Lee Pace, good for him. I went to High School with him and Matt Bomer.

16. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was great in Pushing Daisies.

17. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

18. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I guessed they are still using the forced perspective for the Hobbits. Never was a fan of the forced perspective because the consistency is off the chart. Characters just look like real human in midget like clothing and in some scenes you can tell it's a real midgets.

19. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

First three pictures just in!

[​IMG]

More photos Here

Warning: the third picture has a link to '40 unforgettable nude scenes' (no pictures, but may be NSFW :)

20. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KaqC5FnvAEc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>