1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enes Kanter to sign offer sheet with Blazers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jul 9, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow is Kanter really a max player? I know he was good for them but the max? Really?:confused:

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Years Enes Kanter has had above-average win shares, BPM, or VORP: 0.5. Result: Max contract.</p>&mdash; Derek Bodner (@DerekBodnerNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/619236576036524032">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One mistake shouldn't influence next decision, but if OKC goes into tax for Kanter it will just make Harden decision even more unfathomable.</p>&mdash; Derek Bodner (@DerekBodnerNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/619240864427028480">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Portland is known to hand out stupid high offer sheets to tie up cap room. They are gambling.

They have nothing to lose since their roster is Lillard and trash. They are calling OKC's bluff on doing whatever it takes to win while Durant is there.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Translated Enes Kanter's tweet in Google translate. Basically tells us that the offer sheet has been signed: <a href="http://t.co/djjzfpHKeM">pic.twitter.com/djjzfpHKeM</a></p>&mdash; Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) <a href="https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/619246653153751040">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With Kanter and Ibaka on the floor, the Thunder had a 107.5 defensive rating. That’s with the help on the floor.</p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/619244745785675776">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No, he's not. But he did score and rebound well for them and big men have been getting insane deals this summer. Even DeAndre Jordan's is somewhat questionable given his offensive game is limited to dunks and he can't even make half his free throws. And don't get me started on Aron Baynes getting nearly 7 mil a year from Detroit.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

According to Basketball Reference, the Thunder had a Defensive Rating of 111.7 when Kanter was on the floor, and a Defensive Rating of 103.9 when he wasn't.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I do recall the Rockets scoring at will against OKC in that road game in April that we won. Kanter also blew some easy layups that day.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Worst Defensive BPM by players 6'11&quot; or taller (min. 5K minutes) since '73-74 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/70million?src=hash">#70million</a> : <a href="http://t.co/CEaak4p5UF">http://t.co/CEaak4p5UF</a> <a href="http://t.co/WfKW2Rg3rn">pic.twitter.com/WfKW2Rg3rn</a></p>&mdash; Basketball Reference (@bball_ref) <a href="https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/619246851263311872">July 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's a bit of a false equivalency to compare OKC's willingness to pay for Kanter with the situation they faced with Harden. With the cap about to balloon, this Kanter deal will only really hurt for one season. When they played hardball with Harden, they were looking at hurting the whole lifetime of his contract. It was still a dumb decision to not max out Harden on its own merits, not because of how it compares to Kanter.

Yeah, no. From Howard's and other free agencies, the lesson I've taken is that it is very hard for a free agent to force his way to a particular team if that team doesn't have or cannot make cap space.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

God how is Perry Jones so bad?

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would not match if I was OKC.

Kanter was big for them down the stretch, but is absolutely invisible defensively (as shown in this thread already). Ibaka, Adams, McGary gives them serviceable bigs. Perhaps try and make a trade for Markieff Morris? If Phx wants to dump him, then they might be interested in a Waiters + Perry Jones conversation

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love it. Either OKC or POR is screwed.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Popovich must be laughing his ass off pulling in LMA, making Portland go full tilt and wrecking OKC in its wake.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i hope POR gives him the max... i hope OKC match...i would do papa/prigs for augustine/novak.

augustine has done well everywhere he's been. he can shoot, score, and pass. he's a great compliment to beverley and harden, and would be a huge steal.

those ending contracts would be great as deadline assets: augustine, novak, jones, and dorsey combine for over $10M work of expirings, or up to $12.5M in incoming value. enough to combine with a pick or two to get a big piece such as lawson.

16. Classic

Classic Member

in a couple years when Presti is fired and Westbrook & Durant are gone, all OKC fans will be saying is "I can't believe we traded Harden"

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not really.

But OKC has to go all in with Durant/Westbrook.

While Kanter may not be worth that price...you have Adams and Ibaka, so they can still provide a defensive frontcourt when needed. They need to match Kanter because he's the offensive front court punch that they could use.

So yeah, not worth it alone...but to be a legit contender? Absolutely.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I wouldn't match if i was OKC

19. malakas

malakas Member

Kanter is awful defensively because he has zero defensive awareness and basketball iq and he's also very egoistical player and arrogant. He's not worth the max contract and if it wasn't for forcing OKC and he was still in Utah no team would have made such a deal.
    Portland doesn't even want him for real they just did this to make OKC pay up.

20. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

If Durant leaves it won't be to another Western Conference team.

He's smart enough to realize his easiest path to titles is in the East. And the Wizards just make the most sense all together.

If he goes to the Wizards they'll be in position to dominate the Conference for a few years just as Lebron slips into old age. The only other two teams poised to make a run in the East over the next 4 years would be Milwaukee and maybe the Magic if Herzonja turns out to be a beast and Gordon hits his potential. But a trio of Wall-Beal-Durant is half a step below what Durant ORIGINALLY had going with Harden & Westbrook. Plus, Wizards also have Kelly Oubre, an athletic/defensive minded wing, and Otto Porter who showed nice promise in the playoffs as a wing who can help space the floor.

Wizards are structured to play a great brand of small ball with Durant that could absolutely match what the Warriors have going.