1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ending the talent acquisition stage of the rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 10, 2023.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

So the Rockets have existed as an organization these past 3 seasons singularly to acquire talent. That quest has culminated in 7 first round selections in the past 2 drafts and 2 more coming this summer as well as a hefty amount of cap space to pursue veteran help. Between the pick obligations to OKC and the expectation that Stone is going to spend this summer, I think we can assume that the acquisition of talent stage of this rebuild will be over by training camp. That is where we come dear Clutchfans. What steps would you take to finish off collecting the talent that will hopefully define the next decade of success for the good guys? What players/assets would you collect for Stage 2: let simmer under the guidance of a competent coach?

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Free Agency

James Harden - Sure he isn’t prime James Harden but he is an all time NBA player and second only to Dream for this organization. He would immediately restore credibility to the franchise and would really assist the kids taking that next step as a facilitator. James’ return is almost perfect. Stone needs to make this happen. Hopefully the contract can be structured to expired just when we need cap space to re-sign the kiddos.

DeAndre Jordan and Rudy Gay – Both of these guys are the stage of their careers where they are drawing paychecks. Their purpose here is to show the kids what it means to be pros. Hopefully they both have enough in the tank to be good enough in practice to where the kids have some respect for them. Decent money for each on 1 year deals with a team option for a second season.

Trade

Kenyon Martin Jr to Indiana Pacers for picks 28 and 32 – Indiana gets a young vet who is probably better now than anybody that would be available at these picks. Plus hes on a value contract for another season. Houston gets more picks to try and add some role players that fit the timeline of the core of the team (excluding James).

Draft

1.3 – Brandon Miller – I just feel in my bones that Wemby is San Antonio bound and Henderson will end up in one of the smaller markets (Charlotte, Orlando or Indiana). No worries, Miller is actually a heck of a fit on the wing here.

1.16 – Taylor Hendricks – I am hoping that the Clippers pick ends up in range of Hendricks whose ceiling is I think very high (I think he could be nice insurance if Jabari doesn’t develop the way we hope as an outside shooting mobile 4. Rashard Lewis type?)

1.28 – Adem Bona – Rising center who brings length and athleticism to the position. Has a history with Sengun so hopefully we have good intel on him as a player and a person and he’s as good as I believe he can be. I think he could end up being similar to Robert Williams in Boston coming off the pine behind Sengun.

2.32 – Jordan Walsh – Very long and very athletic wing. Developing skill set but plays hard. His floor is a bigger Corey Brewer. I don’t see a way he is not an impact defender on the perimeter.

Roster

1 – Harden/Ty Ty/KPJ

2 – Green/Christopher/KPJ/Harden

3 - KPJ/Miller/Tate/Gay/Walsh (RGV)

4 – Smith/Eason/Hendricks/Gay

5 – Sengun/Jordan/Garuba/Bona (RGV)

I believe that is a .500 roster with a chance to be a play in theat. Harden immediately makes life easier for Green, Smith and Sengun and KPJ can now focus on what his game is actually best suited for: scoring. Moving forward, Walsh will end up replacing Tate and Gay when he is ready as Bona will Jordan (and possibly Garuba too). If KPJ works out he stays as the starting 3. If not, we release him and Miller takes that spot having gotten time acclimating to the NBA. I think this is a foundation for a pretty scary team moving forward. Flame away.

ico4498 and gotsis like this.
  3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I definitely would not assume we're done with the talent acquisition stage of the rebuild after 3 drafts.

I think people really need to go back and look at how long this typically takes.

If you're expecting a 0.500 team next year without Wemby and some other star to go along with Harden, expect to be disappointed.

jim1961, ico4498 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. sydmill

sydmill Member

I mean that the stage of the rebuild where acquiring talent is the organizations sole purpose will be over.

xaos likes this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

The talent acquisition stage ended when Rockets landed this guy, no need for more.... Lets go for the chip this year!

[​IMG]

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The necessity for talent acquisition ended when we drafted Sengun.

HardenReturns and hakeem94 like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't want to poke holes in this boat, but I don't think we have the 28th pick this year. Additionally, I don't think we have a second round pick either.

[​IMG]
    Pray for Victor.

#7 don grahamleone, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    SamFisher and hakeem94 like this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Acquired by trading Martin to Indiana

HardenReturns likes this.
  9. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Bro, this pic is sacrilegious! Putting Sengun next to the Grim Reaper wearing an OKC hat is upsetting my stomach! :(

Go Rockets!!!

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Bro, this pic is sacrilegious! Putting Sengun next to the Grim Reaper wearing an OKC hat is upsetting my stomach! :(

Go Rockets!!!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Alpi a lot on offense but he is clueless on defense he just doesn't get good position and doesn't recognize things quickly.

DD

12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

This was bad. Very bad post

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I don't know, he looks kind of old to give Alpi much help.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Trading KJ is a terrible idea. He’s worth more than the 28th pick anyway.

FrontRunner likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when you look up the word "talent" in the dictionary there's a picture of Alpi

Salvy likes this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's an interesting player. Has the raw tools to be a fantastic roleplayer. My biggest issue is that he's not really showing defensive progress. And I think we really need a better defender to be getting minutes at the 3 given the way the rest of the team is built. We need really good, switchable defensive forwards to make up for our weaknesses at the guard and center positions (especially if Harden does return). Hopefully Jabari is one of those guys, but we could use another one.

I definitely wouldn't trade him for late first rounders at this point though, you're right.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Draft Wemby / Lively

Trade KPJ, Tate and Sengun for Siakim

Sign Harden and Cam Johnson

Harden / TyTy
    Green / KMJ
    Johnson / Eason
    Siakim / Jabari
    Wemby / Lively

LFG

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

dear dd as much as i respect you and like your posts a lot, it seems being so fat has obviously influenced your mind a lot recently...I wouldn't trust your brain if i were you...be it food or whatever

body and mind are one single entity...theyre body-mind...you cant expect us to trust a mind that got you to be soooo fat...you just cant...

Peace and greetings
    cordially!

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Martin's value is greater for teams farther along than the Rockets. He is a good role player off the bench. And for less than $2M any team would love to have him. But that deal expires next season. And for the Rockets I just dont see the value in paying fair market value for a role player at this stage of the game. So I turned him into 2 bites at the apple at finding guys who would be cheaper and be around longer than Martin. Also, consider this: If the Rockets were to end up with someone like Brandon Miller (in my hypo) and KJ is pushed further down the rotation (in a contract year), how quiet is he likely to be? Now is the time to deal Martin IMO.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Martin's value is greater for teams farther along than the Rockets. He is a good role player off the bench. And for less than $2M any team would love to have him. But that deal expires next season. And for the Rockets I just dont see the value in paying fair market value for a role player at this stage of the game. So I turned him into 2 bites at the apple at finding guys who would be cheaper and be around longer than Martin. Also, consider this: If the Rockets were to end up with someone like Brandon Miller (in my hypo) and KJ is pushed further down the rotation (in a contract year), how quiet is he likely to be? Now is the time to deal Martin IMO.