1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election Day Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Nov 1, 2004.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

[​IMG]

David Palmer in '08.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

At least we'd be in good hands. :D

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't think this country can elect a black or female democrat president, however, a black/female republican would have a great chance!

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

How should Bush proceed now that's he's been re-elected? What do you guys think should be some of his first orders of business?

I'm anxious for him to reshape the Supreme Court judges. Let's get a solid replacement for Rhenquist and then work to replace some of the more liberal judges with more conservative ones who more accurately represent the PEOPLE of the US.

I'm also looking for a quick turnaround time in making the tax cuts permanent. Those are really driving growth in the economy right now and should be continued.

I'm thrilled that Bush has won over the American people, and look forward to four more years!

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

The final popular vote tally was what, 58 million to 54 million? Sadly, I don't really think there is anything that was 'won over'.

Unfortunately that, to me, seems to still be a great division among the American people.

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It's Good versus Evil...

;)

Seriously, there will always be division...No one can stop division because the essence of division deals with issues...Issues is all about who gets it, and who gets it taken away...Tangible, and intangible...It is perhaps the intangible reasons we won't budge on...Example, ROXRAN enjoys firearms, and rejoices about better selection, and features...Joe Blow, a neighbor with kids is against the "idea" of less restrictions on a pre-conceived premise which may be faulty...However Joe Blow has no problem using chemicals to make the grass green, which is frowned upon by his neighbor, Mrs. JB (no relation) , his neighbor who is so steadfast on Earth sensitivity, and it angers her why someone with kids of all people won't at least use organic chemicals...These 3 folks see, each other, and smile like friendly neighbors, but deep down the repulsion of ideology is implanted and the result is division and eventually the outcome is split politically...

You can moderate the issues, and the result is at least a common ground...The key is to find it, which is almost impossible. But that is what an effective President should attempt. I feel President Bush intends to do this...

7. Lil Pun

The final tally was pretty damn close so both of these statements are really irrelevant. Bush won over the majority of people, not everybody and to say he should get a conservative judge that represents the American is just ignorant. He'd have to get a judge that just leans conservative to represent the people in the U.S.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You do understand that it isn't the job of judges to represent the PEOPLE of the U.S. right?

That is the job of Congressmen, and the President. The judges are merely their to interpret the law. If you don't like the laws of our nation, then vote for people who will change them. All judges are supposed to do is carry out the law. They hold no obligation to represent the American people or anyone else.

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Funny people weren't saying that during the Clinton years. I wasn't as if he won by landslide margins.

10. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Agree on both counts (uh...except the bus thing :) ). Obama is impressive and Hillary sucks.

How about McCain v Obama in '08?

11. Lil Pun

That's true but I believe that is because is he won the electoral college tally by a landslide. I believe we should rid ourselves of the electoral college and go with the straight popular vote like we do with everything else.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

There won't be one...nor will there be a woman President.

13. Lil Pun

Do you consider this good or bad?

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Just curious, why does it really matter? Obviously it's a lot easier saying this from my perspective (white) -- but who cares what color our president is? As long as he leads our country on the right path, does it even matter?

Would you choose a black candidate over a more qualified white one?

15. NJRocket

neither...i'm sure blacks think its a bad thing that there won;t be a black president anytime soon...and women probably feel the same about not having a woman president. I personally don't care that there probably wont be a jewish president (i'm jewish).

16. Lil Pun

I wouldn't but there are qualified blacks that could probably lead this country very well but don't get party nominations because they are black and people within the party are afraid they couldn't win.

17. NJRocket

Probably true...as I am sure there are qualified women as well.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Actually, there is one qualified person who is black AND a woman who I would support in 08.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We might actually see a decent campaign. Hopefully, some other Democrats will rise to the occasion as well. What makes Obama attractive to me, besides his intelligence and charisma, is that he's not one of the '04 candidates.

Keep D&D Civil!!

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama's got star quality, no doubt, but give him time. i felt 04 was too early for edwards, obama should wait for 2012 at least.