1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election Day Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Well election day has finally come as many people on the east coast are up right now dropping off their votes in ballot boxes. Sure early voting has started but today is the day...finally. In less than 24 hours we should have the same president or a new one. One of the biggest elections ever, if not the biggest, will happen today. We will see if the NFL and MLB superstitions hold up. We will see Bush keep the title of President or we will see Kerry gain the title. I, for one, am glad it is here and gald that is will finally be over in 24 hours, unless of course we have another fiasco as we did back in 2000. Well let's welcome the election day and the results that will follow later on today!

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Kerry wins easily.

Kerry 52 %
    GW 46%

DD

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

good thread.

At this point, I just hope it goes smoothly because I really want get on with my life.

since DD started bets, I'm going to say Bush wins, although it'd be great if Kerry wins the electorate but loses the popular vote. Whoever wins, I'm going to be very critical of them, if Kerry wins, you just might see me on Basso's side next year.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Thanks, I hope it goes smothly also because I definitely don't want another 2000. I remember in Civics class after election day in 2000 we talked about how the whole world must've been laughing at us because we, the United States, were supposed to be the staple of democracy yet we couldn't even get it right that year.

5. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

yall boyz ready to vote for KERRY?! yea yall betta

6. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Bush will pull it off

Bush 54%
    Kerry 46%

Bush 272
    Kerry 265

I am just not convinced that Kerry has done enough to win.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I just hope that whoever wins can win by enough that we don't have to deal with endless legal challenges and stupid claims that the President is as illegitimate as any Shawn Kemp Jr (ive heard there are quite a few). I'm already hearing about lawsuits in PA about 26,000 military votes that might not get counted. I don't want to hear about crap like that for the next 3 weeks.

I'm for Bush, but if Kerry is going to win then let it be by a clear margin. As long as we don't have weeks of turmoil and indecision in regards to who is president.

8. Tyree

Tyree Member

exactly my thoughts...just want this crap to be over

9. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I just want Democracy to win. I hope we don't do the same stuff we did in 2000. I also want Kerry to win but that's because i'm in the anyone but Bush club.

/remember, we only get to choose between a big dousche and a turd sandwitch so whatever.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

The first results are in from that wee little town in NH...

BUSH 19
    Kerry 7
    Nader 0

Landslide!!!

11. lalala902102001

My projection: It's either going to be a narrow win by Bush or a substantial win by Kerry.

On another note, I'm planning to watch the Rockets play tomorrow night.

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's a good read. It could also be a slim Kerry win. A Bush landslide's unlikely. If the polls are right, it could go either way by a slim margin. If they're wrong, it's because they failed to poll cell users (primarily young), other young people and first time voters in right proportions. And that could mean a substantial Kerry win, but almost certainly not a substantial Bush one. High turnout favors Democrats. Young voters showing up favors Democrats. And first time voters favor the challenger. I'm not predicting a Kerry win though. The polls might be 'right.' If they are, what we know is that we know nothing. If they're wrong, it probably favors Kerry -- to a slim margin or a wide one.

No matter who wins the race though, I'm winning some Rockets tickets. Ain't no way Bush gets 57%.

May the best man win.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Excluding early voters, was I the first to cast my ballot today? Submitted my vote at 6:09 am EST. :)

I'm just the glad Rockets season-opener is tonight. It should help to keep my mind off of the election.

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i woke up early and got to my polling station about 10 minutes before the polls opened at 6am. there were about 20 people standing around in the dark, more lining up behind me in a steady stream. doors opened slightly late, and things were extremely disorganized. seemed like the poll workers (average age 110) hadn't been briefed on the process of setting up nyc's ancient voting machines. thank god it won't be close here- nyc makes florida look like a model of honesty and efficiency.

I was the first to vote on machine 001, 38th precinct. as you can see in these photos, the senior center where i vote hadn't bothered to take down the anti-bush editorials on the bulletin board next to the voting booth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    First line reads: "Ideologues in the Bush Administration..."

this is probably just absentmindedness on their part, but i still find it troubling, and it certainly wouldn't be tolerated anywhere but the upper west side.

#14 basso, Nov 2, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Voted at 7:10, electronic voting! I highly doubt voting machine fraud is possible unless the people in charge of database are messing with the system then everything is off. If you know how to use ATM you should not have any problem with the machines. I hope there will be a clear winner by tomorrow too.

Mark

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I early voted. Y'all pretty much know where I stand.

Here is what I think will happen....

Both candidates will wake up tomorrow with less than 50% of the popular vote and less than 270 electoral votes.

Instead of one state being too close to call by the next morning(as in 2000), there will be 4-5 states too close to call tomorrow morning.

And then the shenanigans will begin...on both sides.

It will be even more confusing and vicious than in 2000.

And, in the end, approximately 6 weeks from now, the Republican Party, in possible conjunction with the Supreme Court and the Congress, will schtakumpf another one for George W. Bush.

Both parties will engage in brutal vicious dirty tricks and shenanigans in the next 6 weeks. The Republicans are a little better at it, and willing to dig a little deeper into the sh*tpile in order to get the job done. That will make the difference.

:(

Anybody got a beer? I need one after typing all that.

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

This of course is just one man's opinion.:rolleyes:

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I must say, I expected much more vitriol and mudslinging on the eve of the election. I suppose the stakes are so high that no one wants to be quoted supporting the eventual loser. Everyone is so guarded. Tonight should change things.

19. bobmarley

I think everyone knows who is voting for who in this forum for the most part. No big excitement here.:)

20. bobmarley

If this would have been an anti- kerry article this would have been the morning headline on all the stations.

Or maybe just deserve it's own thread.;)