1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ebola outbreak ravaging West Africa: ''totally out of control"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think that was referring to a strain that went airborne years ago at a lab in Reston, Virginia. It's discussed in the book The Hot Zone.

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why can't us Humans just mutate! We'd first need to start having sex more often and procreating faster and faster.

We need to produce The One!

1 person likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The latest CDC release is totally disturbing, because it says nothing about the outbreak. It just lists a bunch of puffy things about how they're trying their hardest and they are the world experts.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/s0914-ebola-surge.html

The New York Times had some good graphics about the outbreak recently.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/31/world/africa/ebola-virus-outbreak-qa.html?_r=0

Some scientists estimate it could infect hundreds of thousands of people by the time this epidemic ends. Really disturbing. I can't paste the graphs due to the way they're coded on the NY Times site, but check it out: growing in the classic exponential curve now. I don't see any way at all that this stays in Africa.

1 person likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The current Ebola virus’s hyper-evolution is unprecedented; there has been more human-to-human transmission in the past four months than most likely occurred in the last 500 to 1,000 years. Each new infection represents trillions of throws of the genetic dice.
    ______

The Mathematics of Ebola Trigger Stark Warnings: Act Now or Regret It

The Ebola epidemic in Africa has continued to expand since I last wrote about it, and as of a week ago, has accounted for more than 4,200 cases and 2,200 deaths in five countries: Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal and Sierra Leone. That is extraordinary: Since the virus was discovered, no Ebola outbreak’s toll has risen above several hundred cases. This now truly is a type of epidemic that the world has never seen before. In light of that, several articles were published recently that are very worth reading.

The most arresting is a piece published last week in the journal Eurosurveillance, which is the peer-reviewed publication of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (the EU’s Stockholm-based version of the US CDC). The piece is an attempt to assess mathematically how the epidemic is growing, by using case reports to determine the “reproductive number.” (Note for non-epidemiology geeks: The basic reproductive number — usually shorted to R0 or “R-nought” — expresses how many cases of disease are likely to be caused by any one infected person. An R0 of less than 1 means an outbreak will die out; an R0 of more than 1 means an outbreak can be expected to increase. If you saw the movie Contagion, this is what Kate Winslet stood up and wrote on a whiteboard early in the film.)

The Eurosurveillance paper, by two researchers from the University of Tokyo and Arizona State University, attempts to derive what the reproductive rate has been in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. (Note for actual epidemiology geeks: The calculation is for the effective reproductive number, pegged to a point in time, hence actually Rt.) They come up with an R of at least 1, and in some cases 2; that is, at certain points, sick persons have caused disease in two others.

You can see how that could quickly get out of hand, and in fact, that is what the researchers predict. Here is their stop-you-in-your-tracks assessment:

In a worst-case hypothetical scenario, should the outbreak continue with recent trends, the case burden could gain an additional 77,181 to 277,124 cases by the end of 2014.

That is a jaw-dropping number.

What should we do with information like this? At the end of last week, two public health experts published warnings that we need to act urgently in response.

First, Dr. Richard E. Besser: He is now the chief health editor of ABC News, but earlier was acting director of the US CDC, including during the 2009-10 pandemic of H1N1 flu; so, someone who understands what it takes to stand up a public-health response to an epidemic. In his piece in the Washington Post, “The world yawns as Ebola takes hold in West Africa,” he says bluntly: “I don’t think the world is getting the message.”

He goes on:

The level of response to the Ebola outbreak is totally inadequate. At the CDC, we learned that a military-style response during a major health crisis saves lives…

We need to establish large field hospitals staffed by Americans to treat the sick. We need to implement infection-control practices to save the lives of health-care providers. We need to staff burial teams to curb disease transmission at funerals. We need to implement systems to detect new flare-ups that can be quickly extinguished. A few thousand U.S. troops could provide the support that is so desperately needed.

Aid ought to be provided on humanitarian grounds alone, he argues — but if that isn’t adequate rationale, he adds that aid offered now could protect us in the West from the non-medical effects of Ebola’s continuing to spread: “Epidemics destabilize governments, and many governments in West Africa have a very short history of stability. U.S. aid would improve global security.”

Should we really be concerned about the global effect of this Ebola epidemic? In the New York Times, Dr. Michael T. Osterholm of the University of Minnesota* — an epidemiologist and federal advisor famous for inadvertently predicting the 2001 anthrax attacks — says yes, we should. In “What We’re Afraid to Say About Ebola,” he warns: “The Ebola epidemic in West Africa has the potential to alter history as much as any plague has ever done.”

He goes on:

There are two possible future chapters to this story that should keep us up at night.

The first possibility is that the Ebola virus spreads from West Africa to megacities in other regions of the developing world. This outbreak is very different from the 19 that have occurred in Africa over the past 40 years. It is much easier to control Ebola infections in isolated villages. But there has been a 300 percent increase in Africa’s population over the last four decades, much of it in large city slums…

The second possibility is one that virologists are loath to discuss openly but are definitely considering in private: that an Ebola virus could mutate to become transmissible through the air… viruses like Ebola are notoriously sloppy in replicating, meaning the virus entering one person may be genetically different from the virus entering the next. The current Ebola virus’s hyper-evolution is unprecedented; there has been more human-to-human transmission in the past four months than most likely occurred in the last 500 to 1,000 years. Each new infection represents trillions of throws of the genetic dice.

Like Besser, Osterholm says that the speed, size and organization of the response that is needed demands a governmental investment, but he looks beyond the US government alone:

We need someone to take over the position of “command and control.” The United Nations is the only international organization that can direct the immense amount of medical, public health and humanitarian aid that must come from many different countries and nongovernmental groups to smother this epidemic. Thus far it has played at best a collaborating role, and with everyone in charge, no one is in charge.

A Security Council resolution could give the United Nations total responsibility for controlling the outbreak, while respecting West African nations’ sovereignty as much as possible. The United Nations could, for instance, secure aircraft and landing rights…

The United Nations should provide whatever number of beds are needed; the World Health Organization has recommended 1,500, but we may need thousands more. It should also coordinate the recruitment and training around the world of medical and nursing staff, in particular by bringing in local residents who have survived Ebola, and are no longer at risk of infection. Many countries are pledging medical resources, but donations will not result in an effective treatment system if no single group is responsible for coordinating them.

I’ve spent enough time around public health people, in the US and in the field, to understand that they prefer to express themselves conservatively. So when they indulge in apocalyptic language, it is unusual, and notable.

When one of the most senior disease detectives in the US begins talking about “plague,” knowing how emotive that word can be, and another suggests calling out the military, it is time to start paying attention.

link

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

The new flavor of virus that could possibly wipe out the world...and yet somehow I think we will be okay...

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Time for nukes.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you saying the proposed severity of this disease is not serious, and is a joke?

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandso...n-ebolas-spread-from-top-health-organizations

1.4 million infected by January. I still believe most Americans fail to realize how scary this is. This is very, very bad. Many think West Africa will have ebola for several years. As the world's population keeps increasing, as we become more inter-connected and globalized, these infections will jump thousands of miles to wreak havoc. For the love of god, I hope you politically apathetic people vote people who champion science and research and increased funding so disasters like this can be contained.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Great post

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree with dmc89, naturally, but this is so much more complex a problem.

If humanity supports the rich nation / poor nation model (and it's the only system we really can even understand at this point, my privileged self included), if we let certain areas struggle with incredibly inadequate infrastructure, then outbreaks like the ebola case will be nearly impossible to stop. It's not just that there are inadequate medical facilities (that get more inadequate each time this outbreak doubles, which is every three weeks), it's that the systems in place have been so bad for so long, and the educational systems are so non-existent, that the people don't seem to trust anyone with an official title. It's like: please don't touch your dead relative! And they're like: **** you, liar.

Not to get meta, but it strikes me we are facing a very key time for the human race. Will working as individuals work as we approach 10 billion humans, or, like all of advancing creation has always done, we will have to find new (and totally scary) organizational structures? (e.g. single celled organisms at some point started to form multi-cellular organisms, just like single particles at one distant time started forming conglomerate nuclei, ad infinitum.)

Slate's coverage of this epidemic is quite excellent, by the way.

11. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I realize this is going to sound insensitive but if this were happening in America, I am pretty confident that all sorts of money would be thrown to fight this as swiftly and thoroughly as possible. Now, why do these articles all put the onus on every country EXCEPT Africa to fix this? Africa's GDP is 23.9 trillion I say start there, then ask for help. I just don't like the attitude that its always someone else's responsibility (US for example) to come to the rescue.

12. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

woopsie my decimal point was incorrect ^^ should be 2.39 trillion

13. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

And yes I do believe the entire world should help, especially at this point... since Im sure someone will say I meant 'let them all die' or some nonsense

14. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe because Africa isn't a country?

But seriously, one of the above articles addressed this point. Just about every African country is underdeveloped. Underdeveloped countries lack the infrastructure to deal with a problem of this scope.

The onus isn't being put on every other country, it is being put on developed nations.

This isn't about personal responsibility. If we want to go there, this is about, possibly, a modern reckoning born from long historical processes of exploitation in the rich/poor nation model (colonialism was a beast) that has helped create conditions in some countries that could lead to ruination in others.

In the end, it is a question of how far developed nations are willing to see these problems go in underdeveloped nations before stepping in.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Also, whoopsie, Africa isn't a country. :p

Dang it, I didn't see your post, JeffB.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As the saying goes with great power comes great responsibility. For the moment the US is the only country with the resources and ability to project power to handle these sorts of things.

17. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

You would think I would have caught that, as I work in international logistics .. with business in Africa ... smh

18. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Agreed. I have no problem with the helping part.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

What if they lived in better sanitary conditions, would that help?

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So is it too soon for me to start looking at setting up a prepper-type living situation on some rural property?