1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

early trade deadline targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pasox2, Nov 7, 2005.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me make a cold read on trade deadline target for fun. Stop reading if you hate this kind of thing.

All comments below are WAY EARLY and need a mountain of salt.

I think Howard is done and should be jettisoned. I think Swift is not going to make it to starter material. He'll be a great bench player - we paid just the right amount for that. I'd think the big risk/reward target for the deadline would be another young power forward, preferably big and mean. Nice guards and swingmen come along every year - see DA and Alston, Sura and James last year. Looking ahead 3 or 4 years, the target of opportunity is at the 4.

I'm looking at Boozer and Nene and Darko. Maybe even a dump for a 1-year rental, like PJ Brown, then we chase another MLE later. Any other targets at the 4 to replace JH ? Juwon is not really a good fit for Yao and TMac. He appears poised for a Wesley-esqe drop-off in value sooner rather than later, so the time to exit is at this deadline, with our expirings.

2. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

dont u think we should give swift more time?
    may be the conclusion can be made when the time tmac come back....yao, swift, tmac play altogether for 10 more games :confused: ;)

3. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Explain to me why you think Howard is done? He's consistently hitting his mid range jumper and that's opening things up for Tmac and Yao. That's a good thing. Also, he's ever the consumate professional and brings discipline to the Rockets. Juwan's the man.

4. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I don't hate it, but I agree it is WAY TOO EARLY to make these summaries on Swift and Howard. Come on, at least let them play three games with TMAC before you annoint them past due and bench fodder.

With the lux tax exemption, i think the value of expirings has been impaired.

i think it's too early to talk a deal to sort our bench. our starters are set. swift will eventually start and then the dynasty will be set.

If i see a - let's make a move for boki nachbar post - I'm going to buy a karl malone/john stockton poster and hang in on the outside of the TC.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

On the names you mention:
    Boozer hasn't even played since February. He's been a total bust since going to Utah, unless you count the first 5 or so games LAST SEASON! He's also at $11MM/yr which makes him completely off limits. I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole!
    Darko: If he shows any pulse this season, the Pistons will extend him another year and maybe even lock him up for the long term. If he's a bust and Detroit doesn't want him, why should we?
    Nene: We have no idea how he will recover. Plus, he will likely get the qualifying offer for 06/07 and we will have no shot at him.
    PJ Brown: Your only good idea so far. Wish we could have gotten him last year for Mo Taylor.

I generally hate these kinds of threads because maybe 10% of the time the proposed scenarios develop. I'm totally focused on this year right now. After T-Mac comes back and this group plays together for a while, we could be really really good.

6. futureman

futureman Contributing Member

i agree with you pasaox2.i think the swift experiment is a complete failure. however, i would not wait till the trade deadline. i would waive both howard and swift. then maybe we could bring back badine.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Wow! Kind of quick with the axe.

I'm not too fond of Swift looking lost out there either, but lets give him a couple games to get into the flow of things.

Howard coming back and playing at the level he is is great and with how much he's making they are not going to waive him and still pay him.

Badiane is still way too raw and may never pan out. If Badiane was ready they wouldn't have signed Swift.

8. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

from now on we should just start our posts with: I AM BEING VERY SARCASTIC WHEN I SAY.....

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

TRADE YAO MING, HE SUCKS, HE GETS BEAT UP BY SHORT GAURDS....

10. Biggienaz786

Biggienaz786 Member

let's trade clyde. can we do that?

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

better yet, we should trade u to canada for an ice cube.. cup of snow or something

12. jaychi

jaychi Member

since KG is on rumors lately how about him?

13. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I agree on PJ Brown - If we had traded Taylor and a draft pick for him we could have at least had something to show for Taylor - instead of Moochie and Vin Baker. I think Isiah won on that deal.

Meanwhile - as critical as I have been of Howard i nthe past - being paid 6mil per season roughly- he is doing so much better than I expected.

Give Swift some time - an athletic- quick shot blocker and rebounder is all we need.

I do agree we need a mean banger to help Yao- we should look for this-after this season we are done with the 5 mil --no shooting or defense-Wesley burden.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Our lineup needs some patchwork, but let's not jump the gun. Yet.

Boozer is too expensive. He's dogging it in Utah after being handed what looks like a max contract. We won't keep 3 max contracts on this roster.

Let's see what shakes out. Howard needs to find his shot, Swift needs to find his brain, this roster really needs to wake up. Right now we're just gonna be fighting to tread water while T-Mac is out anyway, so we have a lot of pain ahead before we see what kind of team we have.

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This is where I stopped reading. It's too early in the season.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

whoa there, slow your roll. 2 games into the season, two games.

17. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley esley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley
    trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley
    trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley esley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley
    trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley trade wesley

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Yeah, but we wouldn't have Luther right now. Personally, I think Head is going to turn into a solid rotation player for us, and Juwan/Swift are going to get the job done this year. Brown's solidness would be good for us right now, but I don't know if doing that deal will be better than us in the long run (and by long run, I don't mean 2 years from now. I mean throughout this season).

19. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

NENE is out for the rest of the season. I wouldnt take him if he was healthy anyway...

20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Yeah right, Our whole roster minus T-Mac and Yao isn't worth KG, literally. That would be sweet though, KG Yao and T-mac, thats a an insande front line. We don't even need a point guard. KG and McGrady average enough assists between them to hand the point. That's two point forwards.

My friend is a nets fan and heeps saying that their GM is going to pull off a trade that gets them KG and keeps the big three. I keep telling him he's crazy.