1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Early Playoff Look

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MManal, Nov 8, 2001.

1. MManal

MManal Member

This is probably a bit early in the season to be making this post, but I think we are looking at a top 6 playoff seed this year. Based on what Ive seen so far, Utah seems to be on a decline and Portland appears to be having more issues than I can fit into this thread. To name a few tho, Rasheed Wallace is still having his issues with the refs, the rebounding and defense has become very sub par and the chemistry on offense just is not very good. Thus, I think the Rockets and Wolves will vault into the top 6 while Utah and Portland drop to either a lower playoff seed or completely out of the playoffs.

The top 6 imo will shape out to be in some order, Lakers, Sacto, SAS, Dallas, Houston and Minnesota. The improvement from the Rockets so far has been better rebounding and improved defense. The offense has not clicked as of yet, but when it does, I think this team will become very dangerous. A major plus for this team in close games is that they have two players in Francis and Mobley that want the ball in the clutch situations and can deliver when crucial points are needed.

There was a lot of talk of the Clips making a move this yr, but I think they are probably still a yr away unless Utah and/or Portland completely tank out. They have plenty of talent, but their key players do not have the mentality of delivering in the clutch like Francis and Mobley as of yet.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Funny that you mention about Utah's descend to the lower seeds, and possibly out of the playoffs. I was listening to the Jazz/Hawks game from the Atlanta broadcast and they were without Terry, Ratliff, Rahim was in foul trouble, and Vaughn was 1-27 from the field on the season, and they were in Utah, and Atlanta was hanging with a full-strength Utah and took the lead and almost won the game on the Jazz homecourt. The Jazz ended up winning 96-89, but the Atlanta broadcaster said, and I have to agree with him, and I'm paraphrasing "It's going to be a long season in Salt Lake, the Hawks were missing key players and they still hung with the Jazz." Utah looks unbelievably horrible this year.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

MManal,
    haven't seen you post in awhile. Good to see you. I think one team you've left out of consideration is Seattle. We hear every year about how Vin Baker's going to step it up, but it seems his improvement in effort and attitude is at least as significant as, if not more so than Kelvin Cato. It sounds like they really have some chemisty going, and they were definitely in the playoff hunt with us last year. They haven't had as easy a schedule as the Rockets have so far but they still beat San Antonio. If the Sonics rise, I hope they don't do so at the expense of the Rockets. If Houston pulls out a 6th seed this year, I'll be very pleased, but I just want them to get in the playoffs, and while it's good that the Rockets are beating teams they should be beating, I'm waiting to see how we fare against some of the top Western teams before I get optimistic.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

1. Lakers
    2. T-wolves
    3. Kings
    4. Mavericks
    5. Spurs
    6. Rockets
    7. Portland
    8. Clippers

If I had to make an early playoff bracket, this would be it.

I know it won't be popular but I think Utah is now too very old and Phoenix too un-chemistried that these teams will fight for the ninth and tenth spot.

I think the T-wolves will be a surprise dominant team because KG is near unstoppable. Clippers because of the overall talent should have a foot into the playoffs.

I know everyone and grandma has done one of these, but hey this is my first bracket preview of the West, so boom.

5. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

roxran,

great projections! I could see the wolves surprising folks this year as well. i would have to put them behind the kings though.

6. Holden

Holden Member

1 lakers
    2 spurs
    3 kings
    4 mavericks
    5 blazers
    6 wolves
    7 rockets
    8 jazz

:eek:

7. Swami

Swami Member

Welcome back! Nothing makes my heart warm and fuzzy like the thought of Utah doing poorly and the Rockets moving up into their spot!

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The T' Wolves always start great, then struggles down the stretch. I still think Its LA,Sac,SA, and Dall, after that its a toss up. Vin Baker is plaing good this year and people should note that while they're judging Rice. Baker has been on the decline that hasn't stopped just like Rice.

9. Sane

Sane Member

I've said this before, and I think Seattle is gonna be much more trouble than the Clippers or Phoenix. Payton, Lewis, and Baker form a very good nucleus, and add to that Desmond Mason (I'm sure will take the starting job), and that means Brent Barry, Shammond Williams and Vladimir Radomanovic are on the bench. If you watch the Suns, you'll notice how Marbury and Hardaway are like two repelling magnets. You just can't put them with each other.Marion has to go out of his way to create shots that used to be easy (kidd), and so the Suns need a solution. Barring a mid-season trade of Hrdaway (I really see this happening), the Suns WON'T make the playoffs.

Here's how I see it:

1. Lakers
    2. Sacramento
    3. San Antonio
    4. Portland (Too much experience here for them not to improve)
    5. Dallas
    6. Minnesota
    7. Rockets
    8. Seattle (I predict will upset the Lakers)

Early indications are that Sacramento will be every bit as unstoppable as LA when Webber comes back.

But that's incredible improvement, and there's no reason to thkn we won't be a 4th seed the next year. Eddie Griffin (not a rookie anymore) and Mo Taylor will be added to our line-up. cato will have (hopefully) played consistently and it will serve as a confidence booster, and Rice will be playing a musch smaller role.

Personally, I don't think we'll make it anywhere in the Playoffs this year. There's no reason to say "once the offense starts clicking". There's a brand new system for defense, the zone, and it's possible that the Rockets won't be very good at scoring against a zone, but will be effective at defense. If we keep up the defensive intensity, then just average,consistent offense will be enough to make the playoffs.

10. MManal

MManal Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Swami and Relativist. An interesting point was brought up in this thread about a team possibly de-throning the Spurs in the Midwest. My guess is that Dallas has a reasonable chance as their rebounding and defense has been improving ever since last yr, and Tim Hardaway provides an interesting dimension off the bench. Minnesota does appear to be a better team with Wally playing better, Joe Smith back in the fold and KG simply dominating, but I am wondering how the Terrell Brandon situation will play out. I remember reading some comment that Brandon wanted to play less minutes as he was aging or something along those lines. I wonder how that will affect the Wolves?

As far as my comment about the offense clicking. I think it is fair to expect this team to shoot a whole lot better than its current 42% from the field. I fully expected them to be near the top of the league in FG % but they are currently 17th. The ball movement and shot creation looks ok so far on the offense, but Glen Rice and Walt Williams just are not knocking down their shots on a consistent basis. Walt Williams I cant speak for, but Rice should turn it around once he gets his legs under him. I just dont buy that a career 40% 3 pt shooter drops to 17% overnight. To say the Rockets wont do well on offense b/c of the zone is highly inaccurate imo. They have built a team with players that can shoot well from the perimeter and that is what beats the zone. The Milwaukee Bucks who have skilled players as the Rockets do lead the league in FG% at 49%. I think its just a matter of time before Rice starts hitting and this offensive efficiency escalates big time.