1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Earl Watson: Disgruntled, with audio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Nov 11, 2006.

1. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

He might, seriously, be the best one-on-one defensive player in the league. Problem is, the rest of his game is so crap that he rarely takes on enough minutes to show it off. Still, if Eric freakin' Snow can get minutes, you'd think this guy could. I mean, he's better than Snow (at both ends) at Snow's peak, and I can't understand why nobody's gone after him yet.

I can't think of a more disparate starter/backup skill pairing than Ridnour and Watson. The league's worst defensive PG being backed up by the league's best.

Also, Bob Hill can't grow sideburns. He's like Borat.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Man, for a minute there, I thought we were talking about Earl Boykins. So I was really wondering what all the fuss was about. But regarding Earl Watson, I'd be all over that. He would solidify our PG rotation and give us another option on Rafer's bad days.

I heard they were trying to cut costs up in Seattle, and when their season goes to crap (which should be any day now if it hasn't happened already), I could see them dealing him for cap relief. Sura+Padgett+Lottery Protected #1 straight up for Watson should about do the trick.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Another thing the Rockets have this year that they didn't have last: Trade assets.

I don't know, but if I'm a team that isn't going anywhere (and understandably that's hard to say so early in the season .... but damn, Seattle may know already), I wouldn't mind plucking Spanoulis or Novak from the Rockets roster.

NBA teams got a good look at Novak in the preseason ... there's a lot of future there with that kind of sick shooting ability. Spanoulis on the other hand was the star point guard on the team that knocked off the Americans. I'd say he has an NBA future.

I don't want to deal either player... but with JVG not really even considering playing either one (Novak not playing at all still angers me), I could see the Rockets doing it if they feel they are a contender by December/January/February and need a "win-now" piece. I don't know if the threat of Rashard Lewis becoming unrestricted this summer is taken seriously by the Sonics new owners, but they may take what they can get for him by the deadline (I'm sure that would mean luxury tax for Les though).

As for Watson ... he shot well last year -- including over 40% from three-ball on nearly 4 attempts a game. The problem is that's the first season he's ever shot that well and he's started off this year miserably. He's averaging almost 22 minutes a game, but his minutes in the last two are 17 and 11.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's not true. Last year Watson shot 40.4% from 3pt land. 2 years ago he shot 39.5% from 3pt land. 3 years ago he shot 42.0% from 3pt land.

Rashard Lewis would just be nice.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You're looking at numbers from the same year... his numbers with Denver last year, his numbers with Seattle last year and his combined totals from last year. Not 3 separate seasons -- same season.

The three years before last season he shot 34.1%, 24.5% and 31.9% from long-range... numbers that would make even Rafer cringe.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well damn, don't I look like a fool. :eek: My bad.

I still might look at Watson if the time comes though. Either him or Tyronne Lue...don't know if he's become a better baller or just a deadly 3pt shooter.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Seattle is stupid. This guy is a much better baller than Ridnour.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

I dont want to give up Bonzi yet. Novak and Vspan could be good too. Head is playing well. Synder is the 6th man right now. Who can we trade for Watson. Seattle is not going to take Howard.

9. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Shooting or no shooting, Watson would seem to be the kind of guys that Daryl Morey likes.

His +/- over the last few years:
    02/03: +3.4
    03/04: +5.8
    04/05: +3.5
    05/06 with Denver: +5.6
    05/06 with Seattle: +11.4

He does seem to be somewhat TO-prong, being overly aggressive at times, but in both Memphis and Seattle (last season) he was trusted with crunch time minutes over the starter (Jason Williams, Luke Ridnour). Ridnour even complained over lack of crunch time minutes during the offseason.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rafer and Watson split the PG minutes down the middle, which should keep both of them fresh (Rafer playing 40 mpg right now). Each of them also bring different strengths to the court.

I don't know what Seattle would want in return for him, but you gotta give quality to get a quality player back.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'd easily give up Spanoulis for him. MAYBE Luther Head.

11. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Those have a lot to do with how crap Ridnour is, and how crap Miller can be.

As a non-Rocket fan who sees a lot of Luther (and understands how tough things were at times for him last year on that weirdo team), I'd give up Luther in a second for Watson.