1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Earl Campbell

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketMan Tex, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Drummer, I am with you. We are the same age and that is all I remember is how great the Luv ya Blue days were, even that rockin' song. I always love to see the highlight when he puts his helmet into that Ram LB's chest and knocks him over with ease.

He is by far my favorite pro Houston athlete.

2. Fatty FatBastard

I'm with you, as well. I still have an autographed earl football, an autographed earl photo, and I named my son "Derrick" partly/mostly because of him (sorry, can't name my son "Earl").

Great memories, and BTW, my knees have been killing me for the past month, and I didn't play ball after high school!

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

rimrocker, I had that poster as well....:)

Great great times, those Luv Ya Blue days..
    I still remember getting to go to the Dome that night when the huge peprally when Bum promised to " kick the door in(or was it down?) next year".

Earl was THE MAN...I wanted to switch from DB to RB just because of how Earl played.. I had the size, but for some reason I could never bowl em over like he could.

very,very sad to see/hear about how Earl is doing these days..makes one think about their mortality more than normal..:(

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

After my son was already named, I came up with the story that he was named "Tyler" because that's where Earl Campbell was from. But the story's not true and was only made up after he got his name from another source.

I remember getting to briefly meet Earl when he was up in Amarillo for some reason. He came by the college to do an interview over the college radio station. I was upstairs, heard he was in the building and rushed down there to see if I could meet him. He was standing in the hallway when I got there, propping himself up with a cane and leaning against the wall somewhat. I shook his hand, talked to him for what seemed like only a few seconds before he was called into the booth for the interview.

It was cool.