1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Could someone give me a heads up on who's who in college right now and which players are the best at his position. I was just curious since it seems like we're not going to make the playoffs (especially after the cincinati game) which players might we take a serious look at next year in the nfl draft and if someone could give me reasons why they might pick this guy or guys (if we get another first round pick via trading Henson). I know the Texans will have a serious chance of making the playoffs next year if they add the right players...If something similar like this has been posted can i please have a link???? Plus kudos on CC for this past year's draft coup...Johnson, Davis, Peek, Henson, et al......wow.....that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

2. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

i guess everyone else is in the dark too?????????????????:D

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If Derrick Johnson comes out as a junior (MLB from Texas), they have to go after him. He flies around the field and is always around the ball. I would let Sharper go as he seems to be slowing down and not making the plays that he made last year.

Other than that, the Texans need to go almost all defense in the draft and free agent market. I'm just not sure who will be available.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was all about Sean Taylor, but he hasn't been playing too well lately. I don't know if that matters or not.

I'd like to see us trade down and get some extra picks. We proved in last year's draft that it's not a neccisty to draft high every year (see D Davis, A Peek). We should go for quantity this year. And yes, ALL DEFENSE.

5. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Here is a site with links to multiple draft sites.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/draft.htm

Here is a mock draft from one of them to give you an idea of what to expect.

First Round:

1. San Diego Chargers - *Vince Wilfork - Miami (DT)
    2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Roy Williams - Texas (WR)
    3. Atlanta Falcons - *Shawn Andrews - Arkansas (RT)
    4/5. (tie) Pittsburgh Steelers - Eli Manning - Mississippi (QB)
    4/5. (tie) Oakland Raiders - *Ben Roethlisberger - Miami (Oh) (QB)
    6. New York Jets - *Reggie Williams - Washington (WR)
    7. Detroit Lions - *Steven Jackson - Oregon State (RB)
    8. Cincinnati Bengals - *Chris Gamble - Ohio State (CB)
    9. Chicago Bears - Robert Gallery - Iowa (OT)
    10. Cleveland Browns - *Nat Dorsey - Georgia Tech (OT)
    11. Arizona Cardinals - *Andrew Walter - Arizona State (QB)
    12/13. (tie) Washington Redskins - *David Pollack - Georgia (DE)
    12/13. (tie) Houston Texans - *Sean Taylor - Miami (S)
    14. San Francisco 49ers - *Marlin Jackson - Michigan (CB)
    15. New Orleans Saints - *Kellen Winslow Jr. - Miami (TE)
    16. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - *Kevin Jones - Virginia Tech (RB)
    17. Green Bay Packers - *Randy Starks - Maryland (DT)
    18. New York Giants - Vernon Carey - Miami (OT)
    19. Buffalo Bills - Will Smith - Ohio State (DE)
    20. Denver Broncos - Derrick Strait - Oklahoma (CB)
    21. New England Patriots (via Baltimore) - *Cedric Houston - Tennessee (RB)
    22. St. Louis Rams - *DeAngelo Hall - Virginia Tech (CB)
    23. Philadelphia Eagles - Rashaun Woods - Oklahoma St. (WR)
    24. Miami Dolphins - *Michael Clayton - LSU (WR)
    25. Minnesota Vikings - *Matt Ware - UCLA (DB)
    26. Carolina Panthers - Nathan Vasher - Texas (CB)
    27. Tennessee Titans - Lee Evans - Wisconsin (WR)
    28. Seattle Seahawks - Marcus Tubbs - Texas (DT)
    29. Dallas Cowboys - Greg Jones - Florida State (RB)
    30. New England Patriots - Karlos Dansby - Auburn (OLB)
    31. Indianapolis Colts - Keiwan Ratliff - Florida (CB)
    32. Kansas City Chiefs - Michael Jenkins - Ohio State (WR)

Hope this helps.

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

A team would be crazy to take Vasher in the 1st round. He is a good kick reutner but as far as a first round corner I don't think so. I can see 2nd or 3rd.

7. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I love this mock draft - I want Sean Taylor, the Head Hunter, roaming center field. I suppose Pitt slotted this high, unless they catch fire with their weak schedule will not trade their 1 for Henson as rumored. If Pitt lands mid-teens as one might forecast, then perhaps we walk with Gallery/Dorsey and Taylor it would be a fantastic draft.

It does help, helps me get excited about the Texans slotted to draft Taylor. I was worried due to our less than expected draft slot (due to their unforeseen/untimely :D wins ), but lowand behold Taylor's value now is down to his lack of solid play. It's Plan B now, but Taylor is still in my cross hairs (figuratively).

8. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

who's sean taylor and what player in the NFL would he most resemble in terms of his skills????????

9. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

What about this winslow character???? do you think he might be a good pick up at tight end despite his attitude?

10. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Big, BIG safety. Think Andre Johnson here, other side of the ball, delivering a punishing blow to a receiver crossing the middle. I've seen Johnson projected at both safety positions, but he's a stud no matter where he lands.

Here's one person's opinion of his skill set:

http://www.nflfuture.com/seantaylor.html

Hope it helps.

11. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Just a few things I'd like to interject:

I definitely wouldn't take Gamble or Vasher that high in the first round. They've proven to be nothing but above average corners. The real enticing thing about them is their ability to play special teams (and in Gamble's case, offense as well). Sean Taylor is a definite upgrade to our safeties, even if he hasn't been playing well the past few weeks (then again, who on Miami has?). 90%, if not all, of our picks should be focused on defense, namely the secondary and LB corps. The DL should be fine once Walker and Payne come back (though it'd be nice to get Will Smith in the mix). Our LBs need to be much better than this year's current crop. The purpose of playing a 3-4 is to utilize the LBs to terrorize the offense. As it stands, the LBs couldn't scare a 3 year old holding the football back there in the pocket.

I think it comes down to DJ and Sean Taylor...and I'd take Taylor simply because he's a monster back there in coverage. DJ would be a great pick if Taylor were taken earlier. Just my .02.

12. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Thanks pariah......that definitley helps. I would like this pick if we get him by the way. Guy is described as a missle when he tackles?!? WOW! I played some safety in high school so I know how important that position is. I love hard hitters on D. It gets everyone pumped up, even the offense! :D

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Marlin Jackson (CB) Michigan. Man to Man Corner that will allow front seven to focus on run.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not unless he can play defensive tackle...

I still maintain that we should trade down and get as many picks as we can. And use them all on defense. :)

15. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

How is Kevin Jones goin 16th? These people are r****ded.

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

We'll have to wait for the combine to see which prospects really improve their stock. The players I like so far are, Tommie Harris(if he decides to come out), Shaun Taylor and Vince Wilfork.