1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[DOOMED] Scientists predict exactly when we're DOOMED

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Scientists have figured out when society will collapse

Published Feb 16, 2024, 14:26:24 GMTLast updated Feb 16, 2024, 14:26:23 GMT

Scientists have predicted exactly when society will completely collapse, and it's a lot closer than you'd think.

Technology is at the forefront of everything we do nowadays, and it can help us understand more about life in the future, from the use of AI to our over-reliance on machines.

The majority of us hope that life will continue to gradually improve and that things will become more efficient as time passes.

However, a group of more pessimistic-minded scientists have seemingly utilized technology to predict when society will cease to exist.

[​IMG]
    Getty Stock Photo

Based at the renowned Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the group of scientists used computer modelling to set their prediction, taking into account several data patterns of things like population, natural resources and energy usage.

The scary thing about that is we've increased in all of those factors, except for natural resources.

Eventually, the study was published by the Club of Rome, with the upcoming 'limits to growth' highlighted as what would cause the eventual collapse of human society.

Through this research, the team learned that the fall of society would hit near the midpoint of the 21st century. And yes, in case you'd forgotten, that's the century we're currently in the middle of.

In fact, there's apparently less than two decades to go until the collapse. 17 years, to be precise, as the scientists predicted the collapse would come in 2040.

[​IMG]
    Getty Stock Photo

At the time, the report wasn’t taken too seriously and did attract some ridicule, the Guardian reports. However, before you start to feel smug, you should know that in 2009, a different team of researchers did a similar study which produced similar results.

Published by American Scientist, the more recent study concluded that the model’s results were ‘almost exactly on course some 35 years later in 2008 (with a few appropriate assumptions)'.

"It is important to recognize that its predictions have not been invalidated and, in fact, seem quite on target. We are not aware of any model made by economists that is as accurate over such a long time span," the study said.

Further to this, in 2021, Dutch sustainability researcher Gaya Herrington also affirmed the somewhat bleak predictions made in the study.

Speaking to the Guardian, Herrington said: “From a research perspective, I felt a data check of a decades-old model against empirical observations would be an interesting exercise.”

[​IMG]
    Getty Stock Photo

Herrington found that the data aligned with the predictions made back in 1972, which had a worst-case scenario of economic growth coming to a halt at the end of this decade and society collapsing around 10 years later.

Thankfully, however, Herrington did have a bit of optimistic news.

She told the Guardian: “The key finding of my study is that we still have a choice to align with a scenario that does not end in collapse.

"With innovation in business, along with new developments by governments and civil society, continuing to update the model provides another perspective on the challenges and opportunities we have to create a more sustainable world.”

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wait … so, we are using AI to tell us when we’re doomed?

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll be approaching my mid-50s. That's old enough.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Time to take out a bunch of loans.

5. Buck Turgidson

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

And what are the reasons for our collapse specifically?

7. Xerobull

…re…resource reasons!

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The more interesting story would be to go over those predictions made in 72. That it's not in the limelight means they're most likely junk such as (my known guesses) global cooling, a resource crunch (oil, copper, steel), and/or thermonuclear war with USSR...maybe, but Putie never came close to making an Ivan Drago.

You can't spell doomed without AI

...or that's how I gaslight my chatbot to give me a better answer.

Andre0087 and Xerobull like this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I nearly collapsed strolling through those shitty gigantic pointless photos placed to make the readers stroll through more side ads. Stroll through 10 pages for one paragraph worth of words that explain next to nothing about the details behind the claimed clickbate predictions.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Xerobull, MadMax and cheke64 like this.
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Speaking of Stephen Hawking, didn't he predict it to be around the year 2200? I'll go with that.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Wasn’t he on Epstein island

14. Xerobull

Einstein Island

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

So I can max out my credit cards for Christmas 2039?

16. Xerobull

You're doing it for 'Murica

17. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

SkyNet will be going live in 2040
    [​IMG]

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The first realistic starting point for the singularity is in the early 2030s -- which is about the same time quantum computers should be sorted out. Quantum hardware + AI software = DOOMED.

peleincubus and Xerobull like this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You, very clearly, were not voted into the optimists club

KingCheetah and ROCKSS like this.
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I was an optimist most of my life. I can't decide if I'm now a pessimist just because it's what old men do or if with climate, AI, and such, there's a legit reason to be.

Invisible Fan likes this.