1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't blame Mack Brown

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by The Cat, Dec 2, 2001.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Cat-In an earlier post on this thread, you said something like, "If you think 1 game makes a straw house, then fine, we're a straw house." Doesn't ONE playoff series by Bagwell count as that? Seeing how his career avg in the playoffs is still roughly around .200. Though a case could be made, part of it's biggio's fault.

UT's run D was pretty piss-poor for the "#1" defense in the nation.

UT was the best tackling team I had seen all year, last night was a complete 180.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Smokey,

Colorado was ranked 14th when we played them. 4 of those 11 interceptions, 2 against Oregon and 2 against OU, were thinks out of his control, and he shouldn't be held responsible for.

Simms had an awful game last night. But, one game isn't enough to tell that he can't be the man. He played decent in the OU game, and actually pretty damn well in the Oregon game. Statistics don't always tell the story in sports.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

kidrock, I wouldn't say get whipped. The OU game this year, the cu game, the oregon game were all close games that went down to the last second.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Both Simms and Applewhite played yesterday vs. the same CU defense.

Simms sucked.

Applewhite played very well under the circumstances (no running game, Simms spotted CU 26 pts).

In other words, Applewhite should start the Holiday Bowl and Simms should be forced to compete for the starting job.

Next thing you are gonna say is the WR's ran the wrong patterns or dropped catchable balls for Simms. Whatever. The WR's do that for Applewhite also. Major was playing under worse conditions than Simms yesterday and he did very well.

Any argument that Simms is better than Major was ended last night.

5. The Cat

You couldn't tell my intent with that statement? I completely disagree with any notion that one game can make a straw house, and I said that to try and show how ridiculous it is. One game does not make a team or player's season.

Also, on the tackling, don't you think you'd get worn down if your offense kept giving the defense the ball? The defense couldn't rest a minute before Simms would give it to CU again.

6. The Cat

Simms also played the same CU defense in October, and torched them. Major played a better game than Simms last night. However, to say that one game makes a season and makes one player clearly better than another is just ludicrous.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Cat-Do you not see a trend that Simms' best games are at home?

I think that's one of the points Smokey was making.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Regardless of the T.O.P., which is a viable reason for the D not playing up to par, UT's D just didn't make plays. Some turnovers would be nice, or some 3 and outs. Part of the reason why they were on the field so long was because they let CU convert on 3rd down.

9. The Cat

Smokey pointed out two games. It takes a hell of a lot more than two games for something to be a trend...

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Cat-How are those 2 games, any less or any more than your 2 games (A&M and Oregon)?

I find it odd, how 3 years of Simms STILL isn't enough proof that he's nowhere near as good as advertised.

The "inexperience" and "wait and see" excuse has basically been shot down after 3 seasons.

11. The Cat

Three seasons? He's been a starter for one season and two games. As I see it, he's played in 6 big games. (A&M, Oregon, OU, CU (October), A&M, CU (December). He's 3-3 in those games, and would be 4-2 if Roy or BJ would just catch the ball. The only game where he's really been below average was last night. Against OU he was average. The other games he was very good. One average and below average game isn't enough proof for anything. Of course, a couple of good games isn't either. It's still way too soon to be making any kinds of judgments about next season and his career.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Oh gosh...

I guess next year, you will say he's only been a starter for 2 years and 2 games.

:rolleyes:

Too bad he won't be at UT for 8 years instead of 4.

The "inexperience" excuse is really pathetic to pin on a QB who has used up close to 75% of his eligibility.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Damn, if you say Roy and BJ dropping passes is the only reason people think Simms had a bad game against Oregon I think I might pull all my hair out. Would those points have put us over the top, yes. Should Roy and BJ have caught them, yes (and it wasn't 3 TD's since they only dropped two i remember and even if it was 3, 2 happened on the same possession). Fact is, though, those would have been only points 21 or 23 by the offense, not 37. So take away the D and ST helping Simms out we don't win anyway. And oh yeah, he had 4 interceptions!!!!!!! 4. One of those was a Hail Mary at the end of the 1st half. Wanna know why we had to throw it. Because we had the ball at the 30 with time for a few plays and at least a FG but then Simms sat in the pocket for freaking ever and took a 10 yd sack on back to back plays. 50 yd line, no time left, INT. Simms fault. I'll say I thought he was throwing some good medium range balls during the game but this was not a game for the "big game" resume if you ask me.

And what is with he's only started 1 year and 2 games. He started at the beginning of last season and eventually got benched if I remember correctly. Now you'll say that was b/c he was looking over his shoulder, but so was applewhite and he seemed to handle it. And how many more big games does he get. In a college career you only get so many and he ain't doing the job.

Also, about UT's defense last night. Personally, I didn't think it did as good as it should have been but it wasn't particularly bad. Someone said we gave up 337 yards compared to a 227 avg. Well obviously. That's an average, meaning you get to factor in the weak teams with the good ones. Of course you go above average against a quality team. I did think the tackling was way off but it also seemed to be that we never were getting straight up shots at people (always angle tackling b/c bad positioning or whatever) and it could have been from fatigue at some point. The true disappointment was the constant 3rd and long conversions that killed us. I'm still so pissed about that 3rd and 16 in the 3rd when Jammer had absolutely perfect coverage and the guy just made a friggin unbelievable catch. Also, considering the turnovers and the quality offense, 337 yards and 39 points were not horrible as an end result.

Also, after all that happened, we still were only 2 points from winning. I hardly consider that a team that folds under pressure, just one guy tonight.

14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

gee, do you think the team will be divided after what happened last night?

I can say one thing about this argument beteen Timing and The Cat. . . one side is using the terms Texas and Chris Simms as interchangeable. the other side is using the terms Texas and Chris Simms as independent of one another. that's where the lack of agreement is coming from.

personally, I think the terms Texas and Chris Simms are independent of one another. sure, he had the word Texas on his jersey, but you will rarely see a game in which 1 player is going so far in the opposite direction from the rest of his teammates.

Timing, you want last night's game to mean that the Texas team you apparently hate and cheer against isn't really very good after all.

sorry. it doesn't mean that.

it does mean that Texas isn't a good enough team to overcome its quarterback and HIS 4 turnovers [certainly you can't pin them on anyone else wearing white last night]. and I suppose it also proved that the Texas defense wasn't good enough to prevent the coloradoes from scoring from 12 and 20.

yes.

again, though, if that makes Texas a straw house, I don't know if there are any teams that aren't straw houses.

in fact, let's compare the longhorns and the buffs.

when the straw-house longhorns and their sham/overhyped defense turn the ball over 4 times to the buffs, the buffs win by 2 points.

when the mighty buffs turn the ball over 4 times to the straw-house longhorns, the longhorns score 6 times as many points as the coloradoes.

so if Texas is the straw-house, what does that make colorado?

well, it does make them big 12 champs, but let's call a spade a spade:

chris simms is the straw-house.

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Why does Timing hate UT ?

About UT being a straw house, put it this way. Insert Grossman or Dorsey for Simms and what is UT's record?

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

gr8-1-Without a doubt, undefeated.

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I feel so sick. I have ended my boycott of the Longhorns ticket office.

Reliant Stadium Dec. 2002

We will be back. I guarantee. We will be back.

#57 Smokey, Dec 2, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  18. Timing

Timing Member

After this game, Texas now has the #1 total defense in the country.

That statement is hysterical after I just pointed out the trash that Texas played against this season. Here are the total offense rankings of Texas' opponents prior to Saturday.

Colorado (15th)
    Texas Tech (32nd)
    Oklahoma (67th)
    North Carolina (69th)
    New Mexico St (73rd)
    Houston (77th)
    Missouri (80th)
    Baylor (104th)
    Oklahoma State (105th)
    Texas A&M (108th)
    Kansas (113th)

You have to look no further than this list of inept offenses to see why Texas may have the #1 ranked total defense. There are only 115 teams, so yes with the exception of two games, Texas played offenses that were easily ranked in the bottom half of the country and four of those were ranked over 100.

As for Colorado's game, did you notice they had much less passing yards than UT usually allows?

Teams who are running successfully and have big leads usually don't try to pass too much.

On offense, the A&M game was practically impossible to move the ball in, because the wind was downright awful.

Blame it on the wind? Cedric who?

The only legit game on your list was the OU game where we only scored 3 points, and that was a combination of a brilliant defensive performance by OU and a poor offensive job by the Horns.

You just admitted what I have been saying. Texas hardly played anyone this year and when they did they played poorly.

Chievous calling me a UT hater? Do the stats make me a hater or did you just come up on that on your own? Saying Simms is independent from Texas is horrible. Texas and Simms have been steamrolling teams all year and now we're going to divy up players from the whole and judge them independently of the team? Saying Simms gave up 26 points is a cop out. The "#1 ranked total defense in the country" couldn't stop Colorado and that had nothing to do with Simms. The whole momentum thing is another cop out, the crowd was massively pro UT. If you want to cut Simms performance out of the equation because he played poorly then surely we can cut Major's performance out just as easily because he played well.

19. Timing

Timing Member

That makes Colorado the big bad wolf that intercepted mr heisman hopeful 3 times in one quarter and scored 32 offensive points on supposedly the best defense in the country. Not only that, but the big bad Colorado Buffaloes beat #1 Nebraska and #3 Texas in consecutive weeks. It doesn't get much bigger and badder than that. And we all know if Texas had just beaten the #1 and #3 teams in consecutive weeks, The Cat would be proclaiming UT the best team in the history of football. ;)

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Simms deserves most of the blame since he was the one on the field. However, Mack Brown deserves blame as well. If he would have pulled Simms when he should have, rather than when he did, Texas could have pulled this one out. On top of that, did you hear Brown's post game comments? "Well, we went 10-2, we'll finish in the top 10, so it was a successful season". Uh, earth to Mack Brown: I believe UT fans and alumni are looking for something a little more than a Holiday Bowl berth. I said it before, and I'll say it again: Mack Brown is an excellent recruiter, but he has yet to prove himself to be anything more than a mediocre football coach.