1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't believe the hype!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jun 17, 2002.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As we stand a few days from making an important decision that would effect the future of this franchise, many naysayers and so called columnist are putting in their 2 cents. Thats about what it is, 2 cents. Many teams wish they were in the position we are in right now. When I say many, I'm talking about every team except the Lakers would give up a lot to get the number 1 pick and pick Ming. You could go down the list and even start with the good playoffs teams that would want Ming on their roster. From the Spurs, to Seattle,to the Kings would love to have a huge,versitile big man.

The comparisons have gone from him changing the game, to being a dud. I'm on the side that he will have a impact on this team right away. He's smart, instincitive and very fundmental to big a large fluid big man. Ming at 21 is more athletic than Smits ever was. He's more skillful right now than Bradley ever dreamed of becoming. His footwork is light yr ahead of the so called 2nd most coveted center in the league Kandi. He has a combination of size and athleticism that hasn't been seen since Ralph. People will laugh at that notion, but Ralph was a all star and very good player until the injuries and arthritus robbed him.

All these so called writers in these competing nba cities are envious that it will not take us 5 or 10 yrs to rebuild like some have. Looking at the 99 draft and going into this yr, the turn around will be about 4 yrs which recquires a little luck and a little skill also. The people in ny,chicago, or wherever city they roam wish the could draft Ming, believe it.

As for the Francis situation, i'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I know he wants to win now and may get misinformation about what kind of impact Ming will have. Francis needs to look no further than the season before the disaster when they actually started giving Hakeem the ball and he started producing. When Hakeem hit that streak of 16pts,10rebs and a couple of blks, this team started to rise in the land of the big men. I hide behind no walls and really believe that in the west against the present group of centers that Ming can't avg close to those numbers. Hell we took a 19yr old rookie, playing the toughest position in the west and when he started, look at his numbers:

As Start F 23 36.3 4.9-12.3 .397 1.8-5.0 .365 1.3-1.7 .789 0.26 2.39 1.0 2.1 2.4 5.3 7.7 1.1 12.9

Seeing Ming is stronger, more apt and playing against weaker competition, why is so hard to expect him to put up better numbers than this? They can say what they want, but Ming is the is the best player availible at a definite need position for us. All the Cato backers can support him all they want, but he basically put up the same numbers as he did when he was coming off the bench in 99. We pretty have seen what Cato is capable of no matter what others may think. He shows flashes, but they are few and far between. They can talk all they want, but they wish they were in our shoes.

2. alaskansnowman

I agree!! DRAFT MING!!

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

awesome post. i think ming will change our team drastically in his first year. if his passing is up to par, our offensive alone is improved 200%. his defense presence is obvious. like i'm sure the rockets are doing, i choose not to listen to these negative spin artists in new york and chicago. it's all about ming!

4. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I totally agree with you...

Drafting Ming is a risk. Certainly it is a possibiltiy that he can turn out to be a Shawn Bradley. However, I think Ming could be the second coming of Sabonis. Sabonis only played a few years in the NBA, and didn't join the NBA until he was over 30. I really think that if Sabonis was developed here in the US instead of the European Leagues, he could've been something unreal (Even more dominating than Shaq I dare say). Based on reports I've read, Ming might just have the potential to be something special.

It is entirely possible to build a team with good guards and good forwards. However, greatness can only be achieved by having at least an above average center that can control the lanes on defense and score points on offense. Yao Ming has the potential to do all that and more. To be great, the Rockets will have to chance this one.

5. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I absolutely agree with you, old man. Honestly no one has a crystal ball to tell if Yao Ming will eventually turn out to be a great center. But drafting him is definitely a calculated risk which we have to take. Go Rockets!

6. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I wonder who new york and chicago would draft if they had the #1 pick.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hate to be a pain but. . . . Cato Backers? Are these like Unicorns, Pegasuses and Ogres? What is this Mythical creature?

:D

Rocket River

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great post Leeb, my argument all along has been....

Ming may not be the next BIG thing in the NBA, but what if he is???????

You have to draft this guy and see what happens, he is already a huge upgrade over Cato, so why not insert him and let the good times roll.

Tell Francis to release on the shot and quit going for rebounds, and watch how fast the team starts to love this guy because he starts the fast break with a laser like outlet pass.

Ming is the thing.

DaDakota

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I really don't have a problem with Francis rebounding, but when he rebounds he needs to start the fastbreak in the middle of the court. Kidd is one of the best rebounding guards, but no one ever told him not to hit the glass because he starts the break with his head up and in the middle.

10. redao

redao Member

Steve Francis is having chance to be a Kidd.

His assists will be at least doubled after Ming joins. If for some reason, Mobley refuses to play well with Ming, Francis will take his assists too.

Ming cannot grab many rebounds in the first couple years. But he can definately block the ball,alter the ball. He can draw most defense. Francis doesn't need fight with big guys to grab rebounds.

So Francis will be happy.