1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the World Really Hate America?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Jan 30, 2006.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We hear all this accusation and evidence of the liberality of the American press. I'm quite sure that the same is said of the Foreign Press but we don't hear much about it?

Does the rest of the world really hate America? If that is so, do those of you who disagree with this Administration and this war, hate America too?

Just asking. It's a logical conclusion which, I know, will be denied and probably rightly so, but then can we dismiss all this talk of the World Hating America too?

Why or why not?

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The fact you have to ask the question should be telling. Does everybody really hate George Bush Jr. or is he just out there on his own? hmmm...

Hate W. Love America.

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You really HATE Bush? Disagree, I understand...but HATE?

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I think you have to dissect more and look at America as parts. For the most part, the rest of the world loves American movies, music, culture, our mcdonalds, KFC and Starbucks, our freedom, our happiness, our care free way of life. They love our money and like how we spend a lot of it. However, when the topic of government and multinational corporations comes up, then there is some dislike. SO you have to realize that there are things to like and things to not like, and depending on what the individual thinks is most important will determine whether or not they like america.

Likewise, it is naive to think that if someone doesn't like Yao Ming or the CCP that they hate China. Furthermore, it is simplistic to think that if someone opposes government or foreign policy, that they hate America. I strongly disagree with your political beliefs, but that doesn't mean I hate you because you seem to be a classy guy in the other parts of the forum.

Remember, the war is a part of America, but does not = America.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I've traveled widely over the past few years, and while nobody hates or hated me personally solely for being an american - I can't tell you how many people expressed a negative attitude towards the US Government and particularly GW Bush.

I would honestly say that not a single person who has spoken of the subject has said anything other than that they dislike GWB and his policies - from mongolian herders to bangkok cab drivers to punjabi jewel smugglers - it is literally unanimous.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sam - First day back on the job and you're already posting on cf.net??

Everybody hates the superpower and loves the underdog. I'm not concerned about Mongolian herders' hatred of Bush in the least.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Of course not. The most of the world thinks we are arrogant as well. Hmm, I wonder why?

I really hope my girl posts in here.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If you are sincerely confused about this giddy (and I kind of suspect you aren't), the confusion is entirely rooted in your apparent inability to separate opinions of America and Bush's leadership of America. Hating what Bush has done in this country's name has absolutely nothing to do with hating America. In fact, domestic opposition to his administration has everything to do with patriotic love of country, whether you agree with it or not.

9. Buck Turgidson

This was my experience as well, in both Central America & Eastern Europe.

My gf has dual-citizenship & spent 2000 to early 2002 travelling around Europe and has said that there is a significant difference in how people treated her when she used her US passport as opposed to her European one.

10. insane man

insane man Member

i hate this administration. not bush personally and i would say im sure a vast majority of the members in this administration probably are doing what they believe is in the best interest of the country. but that doesn't justify the atrocious ways in which they've delt with almost every situation. so i can say i genuinely hate this administration.

11. giddyup

I'm interested in what other people have to say and why they would say what they choose to believe and say. I didn't even say I was confused. I just asked a question.

Now here is something I am confused about: what in the hell does a Mongolian sheepherder know about American poliltics? They don't get Fox News or CNN even. Who is informing their belief so that they can share their enmity with SamFisher?

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Does everyone hate the NY Yankees?

same thing.

13. SamFisher

Texxx - I'm easing my transition in order to make things run smoothly. I might leave early today just to be safe.

Well, that's what the Sultan of Baghdad said. And look where it got him.

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

People in Mongolia can not have televisions?

15. giddyup

I have a 52YO friend who has loved the Yankees since he was a wee lad. Since Steinbrenner bought them, he has learned just to accept the perturbations of The Boss and focus on the pinstripes.

16. Major

Major Member

Of course, this wasn't true of Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr. or Clinton. Sure, some people hated them, but it wasn't nearly as universal as that of Bush Jr.

And if you think negative public opinion in democracies around the world doesn't hurt our interests, you are severely delusional.

17. giddyup

Of course they can (I guess) but what is the source of their news? People here go ape over Fox News. Is it not reasonable to wonder about the news hierarchy of less progressive and industrialized nations-- rather than just giving them the benefit of the doubt for broadcasting and publishint Truth and Truth Alone?

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

same here, though my travels in latin america and europe have kept me out of contact w/ mongolian shepherds. i have never encountered any negativity simply for being american. on the contrary, the fact that im a real texan (unlike bush), makes me quite the novelty.

the anti-americanism is usually directed right at our government. the most common thing i hear is "i love america. its a beautiful country and the people are good, but your government sucks."

19. SamFisher

CNN is available almost everywhere in the universe via satellite save in countries that block it like China. Even then there are a host of local news sources to choose from which cover these affairs.

20. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Most of those were presidents during times when the US was involved in the Cold War with the Soviet Union so we were considered the "good guys." Once the Cold War was over and time went along, the hatred for America came out. We are the big guys on campus and everyone hates that person no matter what. They look for the bad and ignore the good.