1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Ewing get more Respect than Dream?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Oski2005, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Is anybody watching the Knicks game? They showed like the entire original dream team hanging out under the tunnel for Ewing's Jersey retirement. Where were these guys when Dream retired his jersey?

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wanted to see Gooden play, but this crap is making me gag.

I didn't realize Ewing was this overrated.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Nah...You never hear Ewing mentioned among the greats, while Hakeem is always mentioned as a top 5 center.

I do wish that Hakeem had a better going out party, though.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is exactly why Im glad we have Yao.

Nobody that plays for Houston (in any sport) ever gets the respect or attention they deserve.

Dream was a much more explosive and dominant player than Ewing.

Ewing was always 1 tier below Dream but of course he played in NY.

The future of the NBA is in our town. We now literally have fans in every city and we'll get more as we improve.

Layden would give his left nut for Yao Ming.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Damn, I wish Dream could have been there just to hear those Knick fans get pissed when they announced his name.

Damn, they were booing Mourning? That is terrible.

Looks like one of the #33 autographed jerseys Ewing got was Mike Scott's, awesome.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing. Hell, even Dream's retirement ceramony wasnt even a sellout. I would have been happy if Dream's was half as good as Ewing's. I even got emotional watching Ewing's. Even Clyde was there! The only special guests Hakeem had was Clyde, Da Jet, and thats all I can remember. Oh well, at least I have bragging rights that I was there.

Btw, anybody have a tape of Dream's ceramony? I was hoping that they would repeat it on 51 during the midnight encore, but was left out as with all the halftime segments during the repeat.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Jordan got booed too, but I think the boos were in jest. I hope NYK fans have more class. The ceremony was 10x better than Dream's. Come on, the Rockets invited Bob Lanier (the former Houston mayor) :rolleyes: The Knicks invited Dream Teamers, former teammates, and the Knicks greatest players.

8. Rebsola

Rebsola Member

I was going to start a new thread with this because I want people to have some ammo when this debate comes about. The whole reason I did it is because I have a friend that insists that Ewing was better. Tonight it came to a head. So here it is.

I've broken down Hakeem's and Ewings years one by one and totals.
    I compared Hakeems year 1 with Ewings year 1 and so on. Hakeem actually came into the league one year ahead.
    Hakeem's 17 years from 84-85 year to 00-01 and Ewings 17 year career from 85-86 to 01-02. I left out Hakeems extra year in Tor to keep both guys at 17 for the %'s.

The following is who was better % wise or per game in those 17 years. If their stats were within hundreths of each other I gave it to neither one. Example, Hakeem had 11 better years than Ewing and Ewing had 5 better in FG%.

FG% Hakeem 11 Ewing 5
    FT% Hakeem 5 Ewing 12
    Rebounds
    Off Hakeem 12 Ewing 0
    Def Hakeem 8 Ewing 4
    Tot Hakeem 10 Ewing 2
    APG Hakeem 12 Ewing 3
    Steals Hakeem 17 Ewing 0
    BPG Hakeem 13 Ewing 3
    TO Hakeem 6 Ewing 7
    PPG Hakeem 19 Weing 5

Career per game averages.
    Hakeem had better FG%, Off Reb, Def Reb, Total Reb, Assist, Steals, Blocks, and POINTS
    Ewing did have better FT% and that is it.

Playoff Career per game averages.
    Hakeem had better FG%, Off Rebs, Total Rebs, Assists, Steals, Blocks, and POINTS
    Ewing did have less TO's a game and that was it.

Do I really need to go into Career numbers? But I will since I've got all the numbers up. These numbers we'll be able to compare their overall production even with injury.
    Again using the same format as above.
    Off. Rebs Hakeem 13 Ewing 3
    Def. Rebs Hakeem 11 Ewing 6
    Tot Rebs Hakeem 11 Ewing 6
    Assists Hakeem 12 Ewing 5
    Steals Hakeem 16 Ewing 1
    Blocks Hakeem 12 Ewing 5
    Turnovers Hakeem 7 Ewing 7
    Points Hakeem 11 Ewing 6

Careers #'s
    Hakeem has more Off, Def, and Total rebounds, more Assists, Steals, Blocks, and POINTS. Ewing did have fewer turnovers. Even than you could put an * next to that because it's only separated by 130 and Hakeem had 98 the extra year.
    Playoffs are the exact same as career. It's not even close.

You can't find an argument for Ewing. Oh yea, I almost forgot, Hakeem has two rings.

9. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Was there anything more to Mourning getting booed besides the fight with LJ few years back. I thought that was very unclassy to boo a guy like that whos career is probaly over because of a health condtion.

10. DreamMachine34

Ewing gets more exposure than Dream because of the media, very simple. NY Post, Times .etc. versus Chronicle. It's a lopsided affair, but it's true. Had Dream been a Knick, the media over there would have elevated his status to God. That's why the '69 Knicks are always mentioned as one of the top teams of all time, and the whole Willis Reed thing is played over and over. For Christ sake, even the whole John Starks dunking over Jordan and Grant is memorialized.

L.A. is also in that big market with NYC, except they're champions and actually winning. The only Texas team that was also America's team was the Cowboys. That's it.

11. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

I simply guess that the Knicks or MSG managment are far better in marketing strategies then we are. If the Rockets organisation would have put it in some more effort in kicking off a better retiring party then also some greats could have been there.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Well also Olajuwon wasn't on the Dream Team, or I'm sure those guys would of tagged along as well. Also the fact that he played in NY is a big enough reason why he got such a big ceremony in his favor, since New Yorkers always have to try being bigger, and better then the rest. Doesn't mean that they are, but you know that's how it is with their sports. They overhype overrated players for their baseball clubs like the Mets, and Yankees, so it's no different they'd be doing that for their own basketball organization as well.

13. dn1282

dn1282 Member

No...he'd give Howard Eisley.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Olajuwon didn't have many basketball friends. Clyde and then who?

15. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Don't know. I can think of 3830 reasons why he didn't have many basketball friends though :)

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

It wasn't about stats or championships. In addition to the aforementioned media difference, Ewing was flat out more popular with other players. Dream's just not the kind of guy they'd invite over for some nachos and a few beers. Try imagining Hakeem in the chip commecial with 'Nique, Walton, Isiah and Kareem..."unbeat-uh-bool" doesn't cut it nationally.

Nothing against a great Houston legend, but Olajuwon was/is cultural different and wasn't/isn't very charismatic.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Ewing had a great career. I don't think there is any need to compare him to Dream. Ewing got the better of Dream in College. Dream got the better of Ewing in the Pro's. It was fairly even battle most of the way.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sorry but no comparasion. Ewing, despite proclaiming "this is our year" year after year, failed to deliver. Olajuwon was more skilled, agile, clutch, overall better player, had alot more post moves, was better defender, and did it all with grace. Ewing was no match for Hakeem in finals. Shaq put up bette performance. Only reason Knicks were able to take it to 7 games was because of Derek harper dominating Kenny Smith, and Knicks trying to harass hakeem with multiple people. Even then Hakeem came thru, while mostly guarding Ewing by himself. Hakeem put fear into heart's of opponents, while Knicks collective defense put fear into opponents, not Ewing.

19. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

20. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Ewing gets more praise because he played in the big market of NYC.
    Ewing was a great player. Not on the level of Hakeem, but Patrick was a moster in his own right. A very nice guy too.

It does upset me however, that Hakeem not playing anymore doesnt get any attention.