1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone here have any experience with "Air Alert" for increased vertical?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

I'm not sure if this is some inside joke.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You'll need access to some weights for some of this, but I think this looks like a decent list of exercises (the forum post I mentioned recommended this in place of air alert): http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drsquat18.htm

Without weights, maybe could improvise but when I was improving mine focused a lot on calf raises and high reps leg stuff at decent speed (I mean basically don't sit there doing crazy weight on legs), this was in addition to playing basketball and cardio. I really think if in decent shape and doing good cardio, then doing calf raises with some weights if possible should help you see results. Hah, even those shoes posted would probably work (yes, I know joke from Seinfeld)... I mean statistically it's not better, but if it gets you more focused then I guess it's a win.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

It is, kinda

4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

It might mess up your knees. I tried AA3 in my early 20s, and 3-4 weeks in, started getting some knee pain / sore knees so I stopped. It increased my vert maybe 2-3 inches, although I was working out at a gym as well.

Fast forward 10 years later, I've been fighting knee tendinitis past 4 years.
    Anyways, can't say for sure it's a direct cause, but if it contributed to my knee problems, I wouldn't have tried it if I could it over again.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

There comes a time in every grown mans live where he has to give up on his dream of making it to the NBA. Lol

6. faraza84

faraza84 Member

A friend of mine tried it in college and complained a lot of knee pain and tendonititis. Not sure how the recovery process is but might not be worth all the impact you go through. Better option would be just hit legs hard, quads, hams, calls and accessory muscles. I raised my vertical a few inches just on leg press

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

2 Page and nobody has asked Swishhh if he is White?

[​IMG]

8. Swishh

Swishh Member

Ok well that settles it, I'm not taking the risk =/

I just liked it because it was such a straight forward program with no need for access to a weight room. If there was a program like this without the terrible anecdotes, that'd be amazing .

9. WestendMassive

10. Swishh

Swishh Member

Looks good, but do I go with the Aussie one or skys the limit? There are 2 programs on there.

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

u there westend?

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How old are you? And what's wrong with weight training?

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Mechanics....your body doesn't move by isolating certain parts.

Calf raises and "tippy toe" jumps are pretty useless.

Calf raises ignore the hips and calfs already get worked out when the knee bends. Isolating them is like shooting free throws with your arm straight up in the air. sure, it'll target the wrist flexors, but the goal is to shoot, not just have big wrist flexors. You need to work the whole movement of shooting...just like you need to work the whole jumping movement, which includes hips, quads, hams...

Tippy toe jumps, same as above, but also doesn't work the full range of motion of the calf muscles. It just keeps them tight the whole time and most people already have tight calf muscles because they compensate for weak glutes, which most people have now because of sitting.

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

Early 20's and nothing is wrong with weight training. I know it's better to do that but I'm looking for alternatives.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You should be flying in no time if you weight train properly. What kind of jumper are you, 2 or 1 leg?

16. Swishh

Swishh Member

I used to be a 1 leg jumper, and I feel like I still should be, but when I'm a little bulky and not as flexible at the time, my knee sort of buckles when I jump off one foot. But last summer when I cut down and started stretching more, I was able to dunk off one foot on a rim that is a few inches shorter than official height.

So I think my potential is as a 1 foot jumper, but I'm also comfortable jumping off 2 feet and can hang from a 10 foot rim already.

17. conquistador#11

jimmy thinks this is a great idea.

my personal experience came in the 8th grade. Being 6 ft tall, I thought I would end up being 6'5. So the summer before high school, I wore ankle weights all day no matter the activity. They didn't work and I wouldn't grow another inch.:(
    sad times.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

technically there's no 2 foot jumping, as you're always favoring one side. Only real 2 foot jumping is like Dwight, but he's got issues with mobility, so that's not something you should want. Your aim should be two jump off either foot. If you can do that, then you'll be fine regardless.

19. Swishh

Swishh Member

Do you have any guesses as to why I wasn't that good at jumping one foot until I cut down some fat and started stretching more? Like I said, when I don't stretch consistently / am in a bulking phase, my knee sort of gives out when I try exploding off one foot.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because your body is a closed structure...to put it briefly...if an area is too tight, then something else will be too lose and vice versa, which can then shift around your posture and therefore your body mechanics... the body requires a good balance all around for it to function properly. You likely had tightness somewhere that caused your knee to cave in, which is what I think you're referring to. Something like this:

[​IMG]

#40 RV6, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016