1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Documentary] Abdul-Rauf - Stand

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Jul 9, 2023.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

https://www.tvinsider.com/show/stand/

https://andscape.com/features/in-stand-documentary-mahmoud-abdul-rauf-wants-to-leave-something-for-them-to-think-about/amp/

Just watched it and I feel it's a must watch for anyone who loves a forgotten pure shooter, but even moreso wants to know what the Kaepernick before Kaepernick went through after simply taking a stand and refusing to stand for the national anthem. I am surprised to find out he did get his pension from the NBA - from the article - and happy Ice Cube allowed for guys like himself to get in the spotlight again with the creation of the Big 3.

Curry didn't know about him when Phil Jackson compared the two, so his presence really doesn't do much for me. He has that awkward smile on his face too like he's being insincere. Mahershala Ali adds a nice touch. Was surprised to see LaPhonso Ellis show up in this. I always felt like Abdul-Rauf isolated himself too much tho and it's the reason he didn't have a lot of guys backing him back in '96.

One big flaw about the documentary to me was acknowledging that even with Abdul-Rauf having a great season in 95-96, Robert Pack was the one who brought the defense, intensity and stepped up in 93-94. Abdul-Rauf was great, but he had serious flaws and for a pure shooter he was streaky as hell. If he had shown even flashes of himself during the '94 play-offs, we'd been playing them instead of the Jazz and it's not guaranteed we win that series.

Oh and seriously, while Bernie Bickerstaff was in a tough position back then, there's no reason for him to have the attitude he has, as he comes across as a ****ing unsympathetic ******* in this documentary.

It's already up on torrent sites in case you don't have Paramount / Prime and live outside the US like I do ;)

cheke64 and Patience like this.
  2. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I was always a fan of him and his game. Mississippi born and bred.

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Very good documentary. He also seemed very intelligent, plus was the original Steph