1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Ken Giles?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, May 16, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

You wanna go play at the batting cage, jimbo?

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

I actually did better as an greco wrestler, or a defensive end. Although I was much smaller then. I won 4th in the state in wrestling in Jr. High. (They didn't offer it back when I came to Houston) And I realized I wasn't going to make at as a then 150 lb defensive end.

But I'm willing to go tit for tat if we can video it.

Such a dumb comment...

#802 Roscoe Arbuckle, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Dump him and lock this thread

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Mish is a decent follow. Doubtful he would know something, but what are everyone’s thoughts? Giles had a nice 7 game run, but... Is this an overreaction or is it time to trade him? The Astros obviously needs bullpen arms long term. So?

I look to trade Giles and give him a fresh start somewhere else. It’s not just about last night for me. I’m just not sure he has the mental makeup for high leverage situations consistently.

That said, who do you add if he’s traded? Another trade? Not sure anyone is ready in the minors to fill the necessary role.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If think it’s really unlikely they trade Giles. A contender trading their closer means they’ve lost faith in him which would tank his value, and Luhnow doesn’t trade guys when their value is low.

Giles is in the top 10 in most RP categories (k/9, war, fip) over the last 2 years. He’s a damn good relief pitcher. If Houston agrees with most fans that Giles isn’t fit to be the closer, they should go acquire a proven guy and shift Giles to a setup role (which turns into mopup duty in the playoffs). Given how well he’s handled the press so far I think he would be a pro about being demoted to setup man, especially if he ceded the role to a proven closer like Iglesias or Herrera.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's a one-pitch pitcher (slider) and that pitch isn't working.
    He's throwing a lot more strikes, but his strikes on the edge have gone down. His meatball% has gone up 12.8%. Fortunately, opposing batters take his meatballs for strikes more than Marwin takes meatballs for strikes.
    He's getting hit hard. Fortunately, a lot of them have been loud outs.
    So while his walks are down, he's probably pitching worse than it seems.

7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Exactly this.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I like the way you think. Statistically, he has always appeared better than he looks (eye test). When your best stuff is getting hit hard for outs, your opponent is one small adjustment from mashing you. And sometimes, like last night, you get exposed.

#808 jim1961, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  9. Nook

Nook Member

There are a couple problems I see.

First, I cannot see Ken Giles ever becoming comfortable as the closer for the Astros again. There is just too much water under the bridge. He has lost his job as a closer several times, he was a disaster in most of the playoffs. It is in his best interest to have a fresh start somewhere else. It is in the Astros best interest as well but they know they will not get much for him and there is a 50/50 chance he goes elsewhere and bounces back. That is a tough pill to swallow for the front office.

Further, if the Astros let Giles go, then they will need another closer by the deadline. At this point no one knows who will be available and what they will cost in prospects. Remember we went through this last year with the Astros trying to get Britton.

The other issue is that the Astros have other needs. The team needs a DH and a LF. That is going to cost prospects to accomplish. So then the question is how much capital will the Astros be willing to spend to fix all the holes that exist.

I wouldn't be shocked if we just see Martin or someone else called up and try to piece together the closer spot.

mikol13 and Joe Joe like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not sure where I am on this. But I am pretty sure the club wont trade him while his value is at his nadir. But, who knows, if some other club offers up a DH of LF'r that really could help, then maybe.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A couple good points here. One being, has he incurred too many train-wrecks in Houston to ever prosper here?

Its the 50/50 bounce back possibility that might allow for some sort of decent return via trade.

I agree we are not going to mortgage prospects for three different needs. Maybe for one, and move parts around to try and patch the other two.

Nook likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's looked a lot better than he does now for most of his time with the Astros. He's looked bad for 3-4 stretches with Astros. Unfortunately for Giles, two of them are times that get magnified, his first few weeks with Astros and the postseason (and subsequent beginning of 2018 season). Stats basically say he's been good more than he's been bad. Problem now is that he's bad, and it doesn't appear to command problems that come and go.

I'm not a pitching guru, but velocity and movement changes freak me out (unless they are beneficial changes) more than a few random homers (see Peacock).

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

pretty much everybody knows that i'll die on the "ken giles is actually good" hill, but i didn't expect to die this early

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think he punched himself in the face so Verlander didn't have to do it and risk hurting his hand.

CrushCity likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Maybe a club believes they can help Giles turn it around, which is entirely possible.

I’m not overly concerned with his stock being low, he still has talent and has proven he can close. Not to mention he’s still pretty cheap.

I just think it’s time to try and make a deal. I believe this is one guy that the rest of the team would not have a major problem with dealing. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s my guess. Whereas if they tried to trade DK to get something for him before he walks, I could see guys being upset.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If we deal him, I hope its to the NL.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

In one of the videos circulating out there someone said "even Ken Giles hits Ken Giles hard." I got a chuckle out of that.

Nook and texans1095 like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's been rehabilitated as the closer here before... hell, just 48 hours ago, they all thought they had done it again.

The main issue is the lack of other internal options right now. Devenski, for all his great numbers this year, still may not have that extra gear to lock down the job full time. Same with Peacock/Harris. So as long as this is the bullpen, Giles will likely still get another chance in a few days after either some low-leverage innings or a 3 run save chance.

He's been pretty awful in tie game 9th inning situations throughout his time with the Astros... regular season included... which is why I was surprised that Hinch would double down on him being "fixed" after just one good outing on Monday, and throw him back in the 9th yesterday (which presumably all options available).

IOW, never a fan of throwing closers in 9th inning tie games... unless there is no clear other option. Especially in the AL where if you do go to extras, you may have just burned a pitcher for one inning only.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

His prior outing he did look very good. But I hadn't even dreamed of thinking it was permanent. I am of the mind that Giles will just blow up every 6 or 8 outings. Its was who he is, its what he has been, and in all likelihood, what he will continue to be.