1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like how McHale developed Lin this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AvgJoe, Apr 22, 2013.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

It has been discussed in depth Lin’s poor performance last night in game 1, but I’d like to start a discussion in a slightly different perspective. Lin played terribly last night. No one would question that and everyone is questioning why he’s doing that. Aside from LOHs, we can all agree Lin had an off night. I think Lin’s problem is his confidence. I didn’t follow much during Linsanity period, but from other posters my understanding is Lin was given a lot of freedom in NY. It was OK for him to make turnovers and he was given green light on shooting at will. As a young player, I would assume he had a lot of confidence (without confidence he wouldn’t have kept on staying in NBA after being cut twice). This season, McHale kept him on short leash, if he makes mistakes or play poorly for a minute he would be subbed with Beverley and in a decent amount of game Lin wasn’t allowed to play in 4th qrt. On one hand, that is what you want to do to your young player, give him restriction, make him improve his game, but on another hand, you are destroying his confidence. This was discussed intensively before and many questioned McHale for that. McHale showed a lot of trust last night and kept Lin in the game extensively, but I think that is a bit too late. Lin’s already use to the idea “I will pulled if I brick or create TOs”. I don’t mean McHale was doing anything particular wrong in general as a coach to his players, but it feels Lin is a a bit of special case: his performance relies on his confidence and mood a lot, and there are a lot of pressure coming from many people out there wishing him to fail. Our own forum have such people we call LOHs, who simply want him to suck even if that hurts the team. Ultimately, it is up to Lin to figure it out and play without the pressure he adds to himself, but it would have been nice to see coach did some adjustment and show a bit more trust to him. After all, Lin showed a lot of potential and is worth to pay special attention to and be allowed to grow better. Lin has improved a lot this season from the perspective that he cut down his TOs a lot from last season, and he improved his 3 point shooting throughout the season. I always wonder what would have happened if he was given more freedom. He would have made a lot of TOs but maybe he would be more creative on the offense end, his shooting may still be bad, but maybe he would play with more confidence. What do you think? Do you like how McHale developed Lin?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Developed Lin?

Creative freedom? We're trying to win basketball games not develop players we thought were good (Linsanity).

If you think Les convinced Morey to pay $8 million dollars a year for a player to develop then you're wrong. Lin is just what he is. A decent player who had a great run and we Kelvin Cato'd his ass.

You're saying we should coddle him? He's getting paid to be a professional and a 40 year old outplayed him last night. No excuse.

1 person likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait, is this a joke thread? You are blaming McHale for Jeremy's suckage? LOF's never cease to amaze. Stop embarrasing yourselves.

4. AvgJoe

I already said Lin sucked last night. He's widely inconsistently. I am asking if you agree with how McHale developed him. Lin doesn't suck in general. He's an average starting PG, last night he just played badly.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If Jeremy Lin ever plays with a mentality that he's going to benched for making mistakes, then he shouldn't be playing in the NBA. If you're that mentally weak then you really just have no business playing, much less making 8 mil a year...

Say what you want about Lin fitting into Mchale's system, but blaming him for Lin's confidence is laughable.

1 person likes this.
  6. AvgJoe

Lin's 24 years old, this is the first season he played a full season as starting PG. He's still young, I am sure Morey paid $8 mil cap space ($5 mil real money) had his potential in mind. And frankly, Lin played right around his money's worth this season, especially towards the end.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

Jeremy got $25 million (guaranteed money) reasons why he should have been devloping himself while he was touring Asia with David Lee in the summer. Guess that wasn't enough.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yes. McHale has done a great job with Jeremy this season.

9. AvgJoe

No one asked you to have to agree with me, but mocking one's opinion doesn't mean you are right.

10. manning

manning Member

C'mon...He is a 2009ers like you. LOFS?lol
    If you think this is a stupid post, don't reply. That's it.
    Don't associate LOFs with your own personal opinion .

11. REEKO_HTOWN

by saying McHale could have helped Lin develop you are mocking Jeremy Lin. He thought he was developed enough to be a quality starter.

12. nchan

nchan Member

hey, didn't you know Lin haters are in full force? I wouldn't post anything about Jeremy Lin if I were you.

13. liunatic

liunatic Member

Somewhat unfair criticism. Name 1 player that does not do tours during the off season that has a lot of media exposure.

Basketball is a brand and a business, that (unfortunately) does take precedence in the summer from time to time. Besides we don't really know how much he did or did not practice so this shouldn't even be an argument since there is no proof of evidence here.

I think it would be fair to say that you don't believe that Jeremy has lived up to his contract - yet this is to your expectations. I'm curious about what your checklist is for a player that gets $25 million for 3 years though.

14. AvgJoe

Yeah, I can understand that. McHale did make Lin cut down his turnovers and develop a 3 point game.

15. nykb17

nykb17 Member

The first responsibility for a coach is to put his players in a position that they can succeed. Does anybody here think that McHale as put Lin in a position to maximize his skillset?

16. REEKO_HTOWN

You're kidding right? This is a joke right? Name another player on the Rockets that did a tour this summer, other than Jeremy.

Asik has lived up to his contract. He's a top 3 rebounder and great all around defender and for a center he's exceeded his contract.

Lin isn't top 3 in anything. Lin isn't even in the top 10 of NBA point guards. Asik is better than he was in Chicago. Lin has gotten worse do you agree?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

Wrong. The coaches first responsibly is win games. Byron Scott helped develop Kyrie Irving and guess where he is now? Fired.

1 person likes this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Inb4 "It's Mchale's fault!"

19. rob1

rob1 Member

jlin is an above average pg. but not even close to being an average starting pg, he is #35 in PER and he is ranked around #18-25 in almost every statistic. he is the worst starting pg in the playoffs right now

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

His join date is 2009. Quit blaming others as LOF. The hatred for our own Rockets player here is disgusting.:mad: