1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Well, this just happened:

And speaking of Mexico City:

BTW, Nieto wants to remove the Army from the cartel battle - effectively giving control of combating the cartels to local jurisdictions. You can't make this stuff up.

2. Buck Turgidson

The uptick in violence is a result of the power vacuum left by El Chapo. His kids are fighting his lieutenants are fighting some new upstart gangs.

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-gunfight-20170705-story.html

The pressure to get the Army out of domestic policing is coming from the Army and less so from the prosecutors and judiciary. They've been doing a job for 10 years that they are not trained or equipped to do. We learned that in Iraq. It's a lot more complicated than "Nieto wants to pull them out".

http://www.businessinsider.com/mexican-military-role-in-fighting-drug-war-and-cartels-2017-2

3. Cohete Rojo

Good point about Iraq: when the US military pulled out, the entire place was lit on fire - not just Iraq. The way Iran, after the US's withdraw, was able to cast its influence upon Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and elsewhere, I would expect to be similar to how the cartels would throw their influence around under a military-less campaign against them.

As for answering the titular question for this thread, again: yes, there is absolutely a need for increased border security. If Mexico pulls its army out of the fight, and the analogy to Iraq as you have made is correct, then you are looking at massive destruction of infrastructure, massive amounts of refugees, and massive loss of life.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think your timeline in Iraq is a little hazy. Iraq became a chaos of civil war while the US was in there.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

"We will neither tolerate vigilantes nor criminal groups in Mexico City,"
    sad because the vigilantes are the only ones with Cojones. When the corruption leaks out through many facets of the gov, the civilians have no one to look after them. I dont like bad hambres either so security maybe through drones would be more helpful than a stupid political wall.

#105 conquistador#11, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  6. Cohete Rojo

Then it became an even bigger mess when the US military left.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No... About the same civil war catastrophe.

But if you wanted them to stay longer you should have wrote a letter to Bush Jr about not signing a status of forces agreement.

8. Cohete Rojo

This isn't about Iraq, this is about border security along the US-Mexico border.

9. Buck Turgidson

It actually is very similar. I'm sorry you are not a serious enough person to discuss things without your strawmen.

10. Cohete Rojo

Please explain.

BTW, I have no intention of jumping into a time machine in order to write Bush any sort of letter.

11. Cohete Rojo

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm taking my family there next week. It should be a great time! If 2 weeks from now I'm not here posting again after a near 20-year career of it, you can assume I'm been violently butchered by Mexican drug cartels.

13. Cohete Rojo

Do you believe that emotionally-driven anecdotal observations can overrule empirically collected data?

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

So my wife and daughter were on a mission trip to McAllen TX and the our pastor was having a talk with some of the children at the church there. These are the children of people that are in our country illegally. Somehow the wall conversation came up and our pastor a white male said that he was definitely NOT for the wall. Do you know what the children said? These children asked him why not, those people are dangerous and need to be kept out....

Perspective.

15. JuanValdez

Certainly not. Which is why I find the articles you post in this thread to be so annoying.

16. Cohete Rojo

Do find the articles citing homicide data to be particularly annoying? Or just any article citing data?

17. JuanValdez

Mostly, you've been posting articles about particular instances of cartel violence and then been inviting us to take inferences about the state of affairs in Mexico and therefore what policy decisions we should come to. But anyway, I apologize for being flip about it in my last post. The point is not about whether or not they have a problem in Mexico -- they obviously do -- but about what our reaction should be. Most immediately for me and my vacation, I'm going to go and have a good time and not be murdered by cartels. If statistics are to be believed, the chances are in my favor. More long term, your conclusion that we need to make enormous investments to seal the southern border because of the violence they endure in Mexico doesn't make any sense. If you want to cite relevant data, demonstrate how border protection improves safety here in the United States. The stories you post about cartel violence in Mexico only makes me think we should increase our cooperation with the Mexican government as well as expand Mexican prosperity to undermine the drivers of organized crime there. But Trump's administration is taking the opposite approach despite the violence.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Cohete Rojo

We're you murdered by cartels? Because, as it turns out, three people may recently have been. Hope you are ok.

19. conquistador#11

those are real bad hambres. Hard to trust the government in mexico to do anything because their knees are deep in corruption.
    Completely unrelated but Rafa Marquez, star and one of the best players Mexico has even seen, played for barca also, has been accused of money laundering. Borgetti, five years ago was at the party of a retired drug lord,when said drug lord was taken out by a hitman wearing a clown suit.

20. Cohete Rojo

I'm just not seeing it: I'm not seeing the need for snark, sarcasm, and dismissive attitude on this issue.