1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Apr 29, 2017.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think that I might have partial solution ... it's a bit cracra ... some conservatives will certainly tap into it ... just hear me out.

US should pass a law that requires

• all brown skin men to get castrated
    • all brown skin women of childbearing age to mate with white men who genetically disposed to vote conservatively

The next generation of brownies will be less brown and will predisposed to vote conservative. Now this will be great social experiment which is not guaranteed to be successful. But at this point what do we have to lose?

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Get white people to stop taking drugs altogether and kill two burdens with one, not stoned.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

People just don't get how many birds are hit with one stone if pot is legalized.

-Less need for addicting pain killers
    -kill large portion of drugs trafficked from Mexico
    -income from taxes if given ability to be sold (although I like Canada's "two plant per house" rule)
    -safer than alcohol for recreation

-Less stupid arrests and filling our jails of innocent people who just got caught with a joint

If you are so concerned about the border issues I just don't understand why you wouldn't advocate for legalization.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Re-read the AP news story: the first quarter of 2017 is the most violent first quarter of any year in the past two decades.

As Mexico's internal violence and dysfunction increases, the US needs to increase its border security.

Cartels may not cross the border, but gangs do and drugs do. Those drugs themselves also bring problems.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've checked out your links, I'm not doubting them in any way. What I am doubting is the conclusions you are making from them about an increased need for border security.

It would be much more effective to change the drug laws in this nation to keep the violence and drug cartels out of the U.S.

6. No Worries

The conservative mantra: We must fix what is not broken.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. Exiled

Exiled Member

you were told the blatant support to Israel is so Christian, but those Christians south the boarder are not part of your Mythical beliefs , just pretend those cartels are settlers and you may draw a different conclusion

#67 Exiled, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  8. Exiled

Exiled Member

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think we will need increased border security to keep non-billionaires within our borders, at this rate. Jesus H.

No Worries and Dairy Ashford like this.
  10. Cohete Rojo

Many of the drugs which are illegal today, have been "legal" in the past - cocaine and morphine in particular. There is a reason they are illegal - they are dangerous substances which Americans were incapable of regulating absent the government.

Today, morphine is still used, though it is regulated, and cocaine is nearly totally illegal for any purpose. Let's not pretend that meth or heroin don't fall under that category, or that legalizing these drugs, while relaxing regulations on other opiates, won't lead to the same sort of circumstances that they once did.

We know what doesn't work.
    We know what works.

11. dmoneybangbang

Yep... those social conservative polices are disastrous. I mean... when has prohibition ever been effective?

BruceAndre likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Lol... I take it you've been reading my posts and trying to work around the facts.

Prohibition is behind the rise in violence of Mexico. Just admit it.

13. dmoneybangbang

Mexico's current state is a result of bad policies by America, namely labor and drugs.

14. Cohete Rojo

Are you saying the violence in Mexico is due to the US being good at its job when it comes to enforcing drug laws? I'll agree that a lack of enforcement of immigration laws, on both sides of the border, has some blame for the violence.

However, violence in Mexico is mainly a Mexican issue. Let's not let it become an American issue.

15. dmoneybangbang

Being the biggest user of drugs and the highest incarceration rate is considered winning to you? Insane...

No Mexico wasn't this way decades ago, it began to turn this violent way once the US shut down drug routes over water from South American to the US. This left drug routes overland through Mexico. Perhaps you are too young or not from a border state where you use to be take a RV across the border to party and not have to worry about oodnapping

Violence in Mexico is directly from our drug policies. It didn't use to be this way just decades ago. Immigration is from conservative labor laws that favor loose regulations and lax enforcement. Just admit it.

#75 dmoneybangbang, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Emerging markets with tropical climates retain a comparative advantage in agricultural production: particularly when adjacent to a heavily populated service and information economy; and their tourist and resort cities will cultivate heightened drug consumption and trafficking. So legalizing Schedule I might not be as much of the panacea for illegal immigration and cartel violence as one hopes.

17. body slam

body slam Member

For the most part I currently feel safe the way things are, but to say to do nothing is almost as bad of a idea as build a wall. I'm all about preventative maintenance. Solving the problem before it becomes a problem. I don't have a problem with a gradual increased boarder patrol and the use of technology. If changing labor laws help I'm all for that as well.

18. No Worries

So you have been calling your Congressman daily for decades about climate change?

Good to know.

19. body slam

body slam Member

No I have not been calling my Congressman daily for decades about climate change. Have you? I'm all for changes that will make the world a better place.

Thing is this topic is about boarder security not climate change. Lets stay on topic. If you want to discuss something different start a new or bump a old thread.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Walls, bans and increased surveillance are limited options and in many ways actually exacerbate the problems of border security. What we should be doing is actually allowing more people in legally and allowing more legal movement across the borders of people through things like guest worker programs and migrant programs for agriculture. The problem is basically one of supply and demand. There is a demand for for labor and a willing supply of people to do that labor even at the extent of risking their health and safety. In that situation the market will work to get that supply to the demand and if ithere aren't legal means to do it their will be illegal means to do it. So much of immigration is now through the black market of coyotes and smuggler networks. If instead there are greater opportunities for immigrants to come here safely and legally the impetus to use the black market dries up and coyotes are deprived of a major source of revenue. Since the same networks to smuggle people also is used to smuggle illegal drugs, arms and etc.. It will become less lucrative and harder to maintain those networks. At the same time enforcement on stopping people smuggling can be more directed towards stopping smuggling drugs and other contrabands.

Also the immgrants who are comiing since they aren't coming in through the black market will be more willing to work with authorities and easier to track incase there are those among them who are here to do us harm. With the situation now increased immigration enforcement drives someone who is here just to work underground as much as it does someone here who is to commit terrorism. That is one reason why many polices departments in localities with a lot of undocumented immigrants are resisting measures to enforce immigration laws. That enforcement leads to more mistrust betweeing the immigrant communities and the PD to address things like violent crimes.

If we are really serious about increased border security we need to get beyond simplistic and xenophobic solutions like walls and bans and instead recognize what actually drives immigration.

Rashmon likes this.